New manager announced - Paul Wotton

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
Gulliball
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin
Favourite player: Kevin Hill

Post by Gulliball »

gullsgullsgulls wrote: 14 May 2024, 22:22 How old is Junior Hoilett? Warnock took him to Aberdeen in January…
As someone who lived in Aberdeen for five years and remains interested in them, he's playing most weeks and making noises about a new contract. He's 33.

Is also on probably £5k a week and playing regularly in front of 16-18k, so doubt he's going to be pulled by NLS unfortunately.
www.torquayfanstats.com
Twitter: @torquayfanstats
leetufc
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Alex Russell
Watches from: Pop side

Post by leetufc »

Really please with this appointment, think Wotton has shown promise with what he has done at Truro and has a knowledge of this level. Also promising is the manner in which this appointment has been done - swift, no fuss, good communications - all good signs for the future.

Special word for Downes. I think its the right decision to part ways and start afresh, but he handled himself very well throughout his tenure, particularly in what must have been very trying circumstances.

Despite the noises about budgets for next year, I would still be happy with a consolidation year under the new board and manager. Need to ensure the foundations at the whole club are correct as a priority for long term prospering rather than short term get promoted and then struggle at NL level.

I would anticipate we may look at some Truro players - relationship with manager, close proximity geographically and a number of players who are ex gulls or from the area.

Not sure who of the current bunch will stay. Presumably the whole purchase deal needs to be fully dotted before any announcements, but hopefully as with the Wotton deal, these have been agreed (and maybe some signings) that will go through when it is all ratified.

Refreshing to be excited as a fan again!
MellowYellow
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Tony Scott

Post by MellowYellow »

leetufc wrote: 15 May 2024, 11:00 Refreshing to be excited as a fan again!
Amen to that!
UnitedinDevon
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero

Post by UnitedinDevon »

Listened to the press conference questions on this earlier

https://www.devonlive.com/sport/footbal ... st-9284998

Very good listen and so refreshing to hear open, honest and transparent answers

Both Warnock and Wotton are clearly up for challenge

Down to us supporters now to back them and support via season ticket sales
Owlgull
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by Owlgull »

It seems to be widely believed that the 1 player we still have on contract is Austen Booth, but Transfermarket shows only one player under contract until June 2025, and that is Brett McGavin. Having listened to the podcast from Wotton and Warnock, Wotton stated he would only have players who could run. Not sure where that leaves McGavin, who despite his obvious talents is no runner. That’s presuming he would want to stay, which may not be the case.
Taelee73
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Rodney jack
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by Taelee73 »

I can’t really imagine Booth giving up his job to sign a one year deal in professional football, doesn’t sound worth the risk. I’d also assume he may well have been told he will be a future TUFC captain after Hall retires.

If Wotton wants runners, McGavin is gone. I like having a playmaker with water carriers around him, but maybe that’s for the future and in this division we just can’t afford those type of luxury players.
gullsgullsgulls
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: Sills

Post by gullsgullsgulls »

Gulliball wrote: 15 May 2024, 09:50 As someone who lived in Aberdeen for five years and remains interested in them, he's playing most weeks and making noises about a new contract. He's 33.

Is also on probably £5k a week and playing regularly in front of 16-18k, so doubt he's going to be pulled by NLS unfortunately.
Yea agree. Was wishful thinking really.
JimNichol'sdog
On the Bench
On the Bench

Post by JimNichol'sdog »

Initially, I considered the prospect of Paul Wotton as manager underwhelming.

However, after learning that he will be in partnership with Neil Warnock, I take it back and see this as a very positive appointment.

Neil Warnock has his detractors, but, at this level, his managerial experience and contacts should prove invaluable.

Just need to begin recruiting a squad with the same commitment as the managerial partnership.
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Southampton Gull »

Interesting piece here where it states Warnock has been given the role of DOF.

https://www.devonlive.com/sport/footbal ... 289073.amp
Dave

Friend of TorquayFans.com
The Great Muta!
On the Bench
On the Bench

Post by The Great Muta! »

I did wonder what Neil's role would be a good week or so ago, now it's out there, lots saying or reporting he was just an advisor, helper out, guest of the club etc etc, but he's DOF, I just hope this works out, players need to know Paul Wotton is the boss,he picks the team, it's his XI out on the pitch with his formation and tactics and game plan.. I can see that, or it appears that Neil and Paul get on great, but we don't need a messy or over complicated system in place ..I just hope Neil isn't to full on and isn't Paul's assistant manager in disguise...
Admiral
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero
Favourite player: Kevin Hill

Post by Admiral »

We’ve got on board England’s most experienced manager who will work for free, anything he doesn’t know isn’t worth knowing. His contacts will be massive for us.
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Southampton Gull »

I see it as nothing but positive. Imagine the contacts list open to us now and the calibre of players we'll be able to get in if things start well. A good start to the season and there's no telling how far momentum will carry us.
Dave

Friend of TorquayFans.com
UnitedinDevon
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero

Post by UnitedinDevon »

The Great Muta! wrote: 17 May 2024, 09:42 I did wonder what Neil's role would be a good week or so ago, now it's out there, lots saying or reporting he was just an advisor, helper out, guest of the club etc etc, but he's DOF, I just hope this works out, players need to know Paul Wotton is the boss,he picks the team, it's his XI out on the pitch with his formation and tactics and game plan.. I can see that, or it appears that Neil and Paul get on great, but we don't need a messy or over complicated system in place ..I just hope Neil isn't to full on and isn't Paul's assistant manager in disguise...
Your last sentence is laughable

It's clear who is who from the press conference and both PW and NW are strong but respectful characters

Plus already reported that PW will have his own assistant joining him anyway
The Great Muta!
On the Bench
On the Bench

Post by The Great Muta! »

UnitedinDevon wrote: 17 May 2024, 11:00 Your last sentence is laughable

It's clear who is who from the press conference and both PW and NW are strong but respectful characters

Plus already reported that PW will have his own assistant joining him anyway
So fans on this site have mentioned Luke Young joining us, dropping in Junior Hoilett, banging on about Warnock and his contacts thinking league 1 players will be joining us.....I happen to mention something and it's laughable??....you need to call somebody....
aggrey_25
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: aggrey

Post by aggrey_25 »

has there been any news on who hes talking to of the old squad, jarvs looks likely to join yeovil soon