Ex-Gull watch

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
Cruisinho
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Eunan O'Kane

Post by Cruisinho »

I have just looked at Yeovil’s players list, and there are some interesting names in there. But Nouble, Fisher, Hyde and Murphy are all in their 30s - and on the downward spiral in their careers. It is way too early to be talking about favourites before a pre season game has even been played.
MellowYellow
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Tony Scott

Post by MellowYellow »

Cruisinho wrote: 03 Jul 2023, 21:28 I have just looked at Yeovil’s players list, and there are some interesting names in there. But Nouble, Fisher, Hyde and Murphy are all in their 30s - and on the downward spiral in their careers. It is way too early to be talking about favourites before a pre season game has even been played.
Age is just a number to these players and they will prove to be a big-game players for Yeovil against NLS defenders. Although I am content with our squads strike force most would have wished Big Frank had returned to us rather than Yeovil nabbing him.
brucie
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by brucie »

You've got to say that Yeovil appear to possess more firepower than us. We need another striker - we dont want another season where we've no forward on the bench. That cost us bigtime last year - if we've got any thoughts of promotion we need more than we have at the moment.
happytorq
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Kevin Hill
Watches from: The sofa

Post by happytorq »

brucie wrote: 03 Jul 2023, 23:06 You've got to say that Yeovil appear to possess more firepower than us. We need another striker - we dont want another season where we've no forward on the bench. That cost us bigtime last year - if we've got any thoughts of promotion we need more than we have at the moment.
Well, what cost us last season was a lot of things, although the lack of goals from any striker not named Jarvis was factor.

If you consider Ash got 18 or so last year, he and Jarvis should have plenty, especially with Collins able to step in; he has always been a striker by trade, despite his (effective) deployment as a wing back for us last season. Crucially, all 3 of our guys at at good ages, which can't be said for the forwards that Yeovil have brought in.

There's still plenty of time to fill out the squad in the areas that need it, though, and I think all we'd need up front is a young, cheap option...just in case. Left sided defender, centre half, and somebody creative in midfield (either with crosses or through the middle) would be the priorities for me.

If given decent service, you could see Jarvis and Ash getting close to 45-50 on their own. Thrown in double figures from Collins, and a smattering of half dozens from Hall, Stobbs, maybe Lapslie...we'd be pretty close.

I don't think there's a lot point in looking at the teams that other clubs are putting together. We can't control that. Mind you, Yeovil are bringing in a lot of players - it might take a while for them to gel, so it'd be helpful if we could get them early in the season, perhaps.
Images for Avatar Copyright Historical Football Kits and reproduced by kind permission.

Eam non defectum. Ego potest tractare quod. Est spes occidit me.
jono_Gull209
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: Jason Fowler

Post by jono_Gull209 »

brucie wrote: 03 Jul 2023, 23:06 You've got to say that Yeovil appear to possess more firepower than us. We need another striker - we dont want another season where we've no forward on the bench. That cost us bigtime last year - if we've got any thoughts of promotion we need more than we have at the moment.
I’m taking Jarvis and Ash over Hyde and Murphy. They would’ve been a force about 5 years ago but their fitness is a big gamble. As for Nouble, he’s said himself he struggles on plastic pitches - of which there are a few in the NLS. I’d have loved Frank back but I don’t think it’s the hammer blow some are making out.
DevonBee
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Tom Lapslie
Watches from: Pop side

Post by DevonBee »

At least it has taken the views on our naff yellow shirt away.
Lots coming in at YTFC, Nouble hardly prolific but rather he was here like most. We need a decent strong centre back maybe 2. Johnson possible ploy to find another Nico Lawrence with the PSF v under 21 behind closed doors nonsense is worrying.
More so if we face the Yeovil strike force with calamity Marshall in defence.
Final thought we could have possibly got Nouble had we not given the marquis brigade the contracts they are on.
Who is responsible for that I wonder 🤔
brucie
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by brucie »

Yes I wouldnt swap any of them for Jarvis. Agreed that those players are the wrong side of 30 but having a strike force of Nouble, Hyde, Murphy and Fisher does look better than ours despite what anyone says, particularly as there is plenty of room for rotation in Yeovil's line up.

It looks like we are reliant on our main players not getting injured again.
Admiral
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero

Post by Admiral »

Our front 3 are good, but we need a winger for impact. How many times last year were we crying out for some extra width and pace?
culmstockgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: stubbs
Watches from: Family Stand

Post by culmstockgull »

Good acquisition by Yeovil who I suggest offered more salary than we were were prepared to pay supported by the fact that Johnson said he has already blown the budget. For me and my sanity we now need two good experienced central defenders to support Moxey.
Marshall,donnellan and Tomlinson would be eaten alive by the Yeovil front line and I am not even thinking about other teams.
DevonBee
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Tom Lapslie
Watches from: Pop side

Post by DevonBee »

culmstockgull wrote: 04 Jul 2023, 12:23 Good acquisition by Yeovil who I suggest offered more salary than we were were prepared to pay supported by the fact that Johnson said he has already blown the budget. For me and my sanity we now need two good experienced central defenders to support Moxey.
Marshall,donnellan and Tomlinson would be eaten alive by the Yeovil front line and I am not even thinking about other teams.
Agreed the thought of Yeovil away on the opening day is rather worrying if we are unprepared without one decent centre back 🤔
GullsUnited
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by GullsUnited »

I do see us bringing a couple of defenders, I reckon 1 CB and a full back for sure
cockneycockers
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Steve Cooper

Post by cockneycockers »

And I think Jarvis loved playing off the big target man Frank rather than doing all the chasing. Would definitely welcome an immovable unit up front, like Senor Nouble.
happytorq
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Watches from: The sofa

Post by happytorq »

Admiral wrote: 04 Jul 2023, 11:32 Our front 3 are good, but we need a winger for impact. How many times last year were we crying out for some extra width and pace?
Stobbs is a very good acquistion on that front. Remains to be seen if we plan to play a more traditional 4-4-2 or stick with the wing backs. If the latter, you'd think Stobbs would the right-sided WB (with Crowe as backup). I think we're deciding between Law and Martin, but either of those are good enough - assuming fitness etc. We're still in need of a half-decent centre-half, though - even if Marshall is rehabilitated back into the squad (50/50 for me) we're light there, especially if we do want to play with a back 3 to accomodate an aging Moxey.

Would also like a creative type in the Kieron Evans mould, but I'd expect that to be one of the guys we bring in on loan.
Images for Avatar Copyright Historical Football Kits and reproduced by kind permission.

Eam non defectum. Ego potest tractare quod. Est spes occidit me.
aggrey_25
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: aggrey

Post by aggrey_25 »

any word on who we have on trial?
Griff1n
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: Danis Salman

Post by Griff1n »

Armani Little now at AFC Wombles on a one year deal having previously been there on loan:-

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/66129265