Torquay United v Hartlepool United, 6th March, 2021

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
brucie
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by brucie »

Yes we do need a quick winger and a full back. Yet we have signed a goalkeeper and another striker who didn't look any better than what we have already got.

Surely Johnson needs to address the positions which are the problem ie left back where Andrews was embarrassing, and right wing where we had Little and Evans playing total out of position.
Uptongull
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: David Graham

Post by Uptongull »

Yes I agree with Brucie. Andrews at left back is a liability. His lack of any pace/athleticism makes me watch through my fingers. Not expecting him to be rapid but when he's shoulder to shoulder with any opposing player he's always second best. Just a very disappointing day all round really. Wynter looks well off it as well, which is strange considering how consistent he usually is. Maybe his new baby is keeping him up! Thought Boden was promising though. Seemed to be a bit more comfortable holding up the ball up. Hopefully he gets more sharp.
PL21gull
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Lee MansellBaseball

Post by PL21gull »

We have to work better with what we have - a group of players who are good enough for this league and who can get us promotion.
But Hartlepool negated our most lively attacker, BW, by putting 2 or 3 on him, maybe in the knowledge that we didn't have real threat from the right. When JU came on he cut in from the right and provided the best chance of an equaliser, but both BenW and BillyW couldn't connect properly. AH then unusually missed a header from a dangerous driven corner by JA from the right.
So we can make good goal-scoring opportunities if we use both wings effectively....we just can't seem to put the ball in the net when losing at home. OK looked lively when he came on as sub against Wealdstone, when will he get a chance to show promise when other formations are struggling?
And it would help our cause if we tried shooting at goal more. And if we drove set-pieces into the danger area rather than the floating corners from CLE which don't put the keeper under any pressure. And maybe we can play more as a solid team when playing away and do not have to try to prise open determined defences.
desperado
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs

Post by desperado »

We don't seem to be strong enough , mentally or physically when we go behind.
Teams have worked us out , nick a goal with help from us and see out the game with relative ease. Pity Moxey can't stay fit, why does Andrews persist in playing that long diagonal ball which fails every time. CLE and Whitfields overplaying is frustrating, and for Gods sake why can't we shoot from distance more, you can get deflections, blocks etc which break for you
I'm glad the next two games are away which seems to suit us more, go a goal down at home and the games over.
Maybe when we see ourselves in 3rd place on Wednesday morning we will feel less pressure. Just so gutting to see this wonderful opportunity thrown away , even just 5 weeks ago after the Barnet game we were 10 points clear.
Cockney Cockers
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Steve Cooper

Post by Cockney Cockers »

My last live match was the terrible 2-0 defeat away to Sutton back last March. It was plain to see that our young bucks were getting duffed up by bigger, older, wiser lags. Everyone could see we needed more experience in the squad. Gary could see this also and brought in that experience. With that goes the potential for more injury which has been realised. So no point moaning at that.
The early season points haul slightly flattered us also I feel. We were not the world beaters that the table portrayed (bar a couple of examples)and now the imported experience that helped us gain those early points is on the sidelines keeping ralgex in business.
We have to be realistic with the team we are able to put out. There is no point having a pop at Jake Andrew’s for drawing the short straw filling in at left back (although I do think Lewis would make a better job of it) but I do think we should slow things down a little with the current squad.
Our policy of getting it forward quickly has changed, and not for the better over the last two years. We did get it forward by crisp, accurate 20 yard passes ending in Reidy poking it in from the six yard box. That seems to have evolved in to Asa getting the three wood out and hoping that one of the boys can cling on to it (Whits or Connor mainly) until the cavalry arrives.
These are only my thoughts and there are hundreds of us who think we know best but is up to “gaffer” to turn this corner, hopefully with everyone’s support.
Louis
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by Louis »

Highlights

⚽️ Prediction League 23/24 - TUFC merch prizes for grabs
⚽️ Press Room - all latest TUFC News
⚽️ @Torquay_Fans - follow us on X for all the latest

portugull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: lee mansell
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by portugull »

Just watched the highlights from Saturday.

Jake Andrews was not concentrating for their goal and his reaction was slow. A full time professional footballer has to move quicker in mind and body.

Our shape was terrible. No wonder Hartlepool scored we made it easy for them. We have got to do better. I do not like criticising but Andrews is
slow , mouthy and really needs to decide if he wants to get better or not. He has talent but he is wasting a big opportunity at the moment.

Just look how Hartlepool improved their shape between 31st October when we battered them and last Saturday. They are not world beaters but we gave it to them by sloppy play.
desperado
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs

Post by desperado »

Yes definitely a weak link who opposition plays on , like when Chaney played there
Moxey must play, sore hip or not.
Very sloppy ball from Wynter too in the build up.
Just savouring our last few hours at the top where we've been since October 27th
If I was a player it would rattle me and inspire me to get our top spot back.
Let's show some real fighting spirit.