Why does Sir Gary overlook Olaf Koszela?

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
portugull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: lee mansell
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Why does Sir Gary overlook Olaf Koszela?

Post by portugull »

I am very disappointed that Gary Johnson has not recalled Olaf from Dorchester Town.
Olaf will be out of contract on 30 June and having scored a huge number of goals in his youth career he has never really been given a chance to show his ability with United in the 1st Team.
Contrast him with Luke Jephcott at Argyle. Last season he went out on loan to Truro City ( August 2019) but was recalled in January 2020 since when he cannot stop scoring. He is the leading scorer in League 1 this season.
I know Olaf is 18 and 2 years younger than Jephcott but is the lad ever going to get a chance?
The Club invests a lot in the Youth system and I do not want to see Olaf leave in the summer and then another club gets all the benefit of his development at Torquay.
Is he still training with United? On his full debut 2 years ago he scored at Chippenham from what was a difficult chance.
Am I alone in thinking Olaf seems to have been forgotten especially when our lead striker Danny Wright is out injured.
Nick Potkins
Vice Captain
Vice Captain

Post by Nick Potkins »

I believe his loan has ended or he's been recalled. He is back training with us. Sadly due to Covid Restrictions his game time while away was limited.
brucie
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by brucie »

I believe that he came on as a sub for half an hour at home in a game earlier in the season.

Unfortunately he didn't look up to it at all so that's why he was farmed out on loan I guess. So any comparison with Jephcott is pointless.
Eirik
Skipper
Skipper
Favourite player: Eifion Williams
Watches from: The sofa

Post by Eirik »

I seem to remember that he was quite impressive in one of the friendlies before the season. As a winger if I am not mistaken. But when the season started he could not replicate that when he got the chance.
Would be great to see him get a few chances in the future although I see both Umerah and Waters are in front of the queue.
How long is Wright injured? Anyone know? I guess Nelson is out for a while after his operation.
-Eirik-
Proud member of Torquay United Supporters Norway
https://www.facebook.com/groups/norwaygulls

TUST MEMBER - https://www.tust.co.uk/
Hammdog2601
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Luke Young

Post by Hammdog2601 »

Olaf needs a season loan of men’s football. He’s never gonna improve or learn being a back up or on the bench. Keep him at Dorchester. He’ll learn and become a quality player
culmstockgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: stubbs
Watches from: Family Stand

Post by culmstockgull »

I have followed his career since he first appeared on the subs bench several seasons ago. Not sure he or GJ can decide his best position, last time I saw play was last season in friendlies and certainly at Tiverton when he could have made a name for himself, he scored but he seemed totally disinterested,the game seemed to be beneath him type of attitude, the same game when I first noticed how good a player louis slough was. I may be wrong but I believe his head was turned by being considered the next great thing for Torquay, he started to believe his own publicity, its this season when he has only featured in part of one match that the hard reality of having to do a whole lot more to be considered to have a pro future, He is certainly at the bottom of the pecking order of forwards at the club.
I would love him to come good and go on and be a top footballer but his loan to Dorchester said a lot to me, not even a conference south team came in for him.He needs game time, bench sitting is no good for him so I agree another loan is the answer.
Nick Potkins
Vice Captain
Vice Captain

Post by Nick Potkins »

While many may agree with your comments, their league season is currently suspended. Hence my comments about his playing time on loan being limited. He may have been recalled as cover for Walters, incase Walters did not make Saturday's game.
MellowYellow
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Tony Scott

Post by MellowYellow »

In Gary we trust - he will play Olaf when and if he is ready - not before. There are those who shout for Gary to open the loan book to bring in tried and tested players for our promotion push and those who wish to give game opportunities to young underdeveloped squad players - who'd be a manager?
grockle
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Willie Brown

Post by grockle »

Olaf has been our "most promising prospect" for the last 3years at least. IF he is going to move on in the game, surely by now, he should be playing regularly, (on loan), for an NLS/NLN side, rather than doing nothing at Dorchester.
Rumsam Gull

Post by Rumsam Gull »

I believe Olaf is currently suspended. Was sent off in his last game for Dorchester in a home friendly vs Christchurch.
portugull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: lee mansell
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by portugull »

Thanks for the comments.
I am pleased to know from Nick Potkins that Olaf is back training with the team.
With reference to the post by brucie Gary Johnson gave a very clear statement as to why Olaf and Louis Slough went out on loan to Dorchester at the end of October. It was to get game time. Unfortunately Covid put a stop to games at Dorchester's level in the football pyramid.
Forest gull
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero
Favourite player: Steve Cooper
Watches from: Pop side

Post by Forest gull »

I do wonder how much effect the Lockdown will have on making any new signings? Players will have to spent a long time away from their families.
brucie
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by brucie »

I agree with Culmstockgull - his performance in the league prior to his immediate loaning out to Dorchester didn't speak volumes.

Also getting himself sent off in a friendly is hardly likely to endear himself to the manager as he went there to get gametime. He's not gone any higher than Dorchester - I guess he wouldn't hold down a starting berth in a Conference North/South side.

Is he likely to make it in the pro game? - I would say the jury is very much out at the moment.
Teigngull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Jackie Gallagher

Post by Teigngull »

Because hes inexperienced & clearly not good enough.
GJ is the manager so who are we to question him ? His record so far is exemplary.
Wolborough
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs

Post by Wolborough »

Still suspect he may prove many wrong.