Kalvin-Lumbombo-Kalala

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
Reidy28
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Kalvin-Lumbombo-Kalala

Post by Reidy28 »

Does anybody know if there is anything behind Kalala quitting the game for good?
MellowYellow
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Tony Scott

Post by MellowYellow »

Might have something to do with the stumbling block of the compensation figure Torquay Untied would ask for, and this has put off any Football League (EFL) team thinking of signing him.

Torquay United did announce that they were prepared go to a tribunal if necessary to push for maximum ‘compensation’. Kalala is 22, and under the 24 years cut-off point for exemption from club compensation (unlike Reid who is 25).

Torquay put a lot of work into Kalvin and because he turned down a new deal Torquay's demand for compensation is justified under the transfer rules which says you have to offer a (U24) player at least what they were on before, which Torquay did with Kalala.

So my take is Kalala is at an impasse and has nowhere to go. He obviously did not think through his choices or/and has a bad agent.
Rjc70
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Tom Lapslie

Post by Rjc70 »

Reidy28 wrote: 24 Aug 2020, 13:11 Does anybody know if there is anything behind Kalala quitting the game for good?
Where did you read this?
Teigngull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Jackie Gallagher

Post by Teigngull »

If proved to be true, I have my reservations though, it'll be a complete & utter waste of talent, his advisors obviously need to be reeled in & shown the exit door & if I was, GJ I'd invite him back for a second chance to prove himself he's worth another shot
desperado
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs

Post by desperado »

If it's anything like Reidy28's previous posts it's a wind up, eg ' Jamie Reid's signed for Reading, said his goodbyes, travelling up for his medical today'
dawlishmatt
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Steve cooper

Post by dawlishmatt »

IF Kalala has indeed quit football, well i wouldn't blame him. I can fully understand why he turned down the offer of a new contract. Gary Johnson used him as a scapegoat. I can remember at the time, indeed i mentioned it on this very forum, a post match video that the manager made after Kalala was substituted at a home game. Johnson was asked if the half time substitution was tactical and he responded he was taken off because of lack of effort. Whether or not Johnson was right or wrong, those comments should be kept in the dressing room or the managers office and not aired on youtube. If i was Kalala i would have told Johnson to stick the job up his arse and refused to play for him again.
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Southampton Gull »

Imagine Beckham showing your narrow minded opinion when Ferguson roasted him. He could have quit before his career went anywhere. I think I'd trust Johnsons approach ahead of your system of producing a spoilt brat ;-)
Dave

Friend of TorquayFans.com
MellowYellow
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by MellowYellow »

dawlishmatt wrote: 27 Aug 2020, 20:59 .. taken off because of lack of effort... I would have told Johnson to stick the job up his arse and refused to play for him again.
Who'd be a footballer!

In his next job, I expect Kalala will tell his next manager exactly that, when scolded for 'lack of effort' in flipping over the Big Mac's. There no escaping injustice in the work place - if you did, you must have lived a charmed life.
dawlishmatt
Vice Captain
Vice Captain

Post by dawlishmatt »

Southampton Gull, Mellow Yellow. I think that you are missing my point. You should never give a player a bollocking in public.
SuperNickyWroe
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Andy Provan
Watches from: The sofa

Post by SuperNickyWroe »

dawlishmatt wrote: 28 Aug 2020, 07:30 Southampton Gull, Mellow Yellow. I think that you are missing my point. You should never give a player a bollocking in public.
But that wasn't the case according to your previous post.
He was asked by his interviewer as to why he was take off and as you stated GJ replied "lack of effort."
I wouldn't class that as what you described it as above.
Member of the Yorkshire Gulls Supporters Club - Proud Sponsors of Aaron Jarvis 2023-2024
We now drive South to all the games!

TUST Member 468

culmstockgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: stubbs
Watches from: Family Stand

Post by culmstockgull »

First things first , Reidy28 has no credability on this forum after admitting he made things up for the sake of it,but like many others will probably re appear under another name. Second, Kalala has an abundance of natural talent but has very litttle inkling on how to be a pro footballer, it may be that he is a immature 22 year old but never the less should have had the basics instilled in him long ago.With his inconsistent displays he not only let his team mates down who had put in an extra shift to cover him but more inprtantly let us fans down who never knew which persona was going to turn up. He could be dazzling and destroy a defense and other times he hardly broke sweat and looked like he wanted to be anywhere other than on a football pitch. Football is the only thing he knows so I do not see him giving up the game, whether he gets the team his agent wants at the salary he wishes is another matter. Public or private calling out, well personally private for me but Johnson may have seen it as a management tool to try and motivate the player and lets be honest over the years must he must have seen hundreds of players of the Kalala mould who did not have the temperament to cut it week in week out.
Plainmoor78
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Les Lawrence

Post by Plainmoor78 »

Completely agree with culmstock. On his day kalala was a joy to watch, well worth the entrance fee. But too often a passenger and we cannot afford to have those. Maybe Johnson shouldn't have criticized him publicly but if he hasn't got the balls to respond, and he had been given plenty of chances to prove himself, then he needs to think of another career.
dawlishmatt
Vice Captain
Vice Captain

Post by dawlishmatt »

When Kalala signed for Torquay, I can't remember if Gary Johnson or Owers signed him, Johnson already knew what kind of player he was. He played a handful of games for Cheltenham while Johnson was manager. Even more bizarre is that Kalala had his contact cancelled by mutual consent!!!!!!
MellowYellow
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by MellowYellow »

This is because a football contract cannot be unilaterally terminated by any of the parties' unless there is 'Just Cause'. As Torquay, offered Kalala a new contract (U24) at least what he was on before, 'Just Cause' flew out the window,

On this basis 'cancelled by mutual consent' means the Club (Torquay) retain Kalala's registration until he signs for another Club and shall be entitled, without further payment to the Player to a Compensation Fee in respect of any subsequent transfer of his registration.

The guy is toast - he or someone did not think through the implications of his decision. What was his agent thinking?
dawlishmatt
Vice Captain
Vice Captain

Post by dawlishmatt »

Mellow Yellow, sorry. in my last post i meant that his contract at Cheltenham was terminated by mutual consent. When he left Torquay his contract had ended. He was offered a new contract at Torquay but turned it down for whatever reason.