Player Search - Who Will Turn Up?

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
View1
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Rodney Jack

Post by View1 »

MellowYellow wrote: 02 Jul 2018, 15:24 I see that Wrexham have signed Mike Fondop - did he not have a pre-season trial match with us last season and scored two goals followed by Nicho's summary "He had a decent enough game … but not really what we are looking for". Hmmm!
He had a great game, but also seem to have a bit of an attitude (pretending to be injured then sprinting off when the ref came over etc) and I think Nicholson felt he would be trouble and quickly got rid. That was the same game the manager decided to give the physio a run out which seemed a bit disrespectful to the trialists and offered an indication as to where he was with things.

If we are going to get out of this mess we need to find potential rough diamonds like Fondop, make them feel wanted and give them a chance in the hope we find a star. Let me honest we are not going to sign a experinced 20-25 goal a season striker in our position and if they come with potential they are bound to have some issues that we need to help them with or they wouldnt be trying to play for us!
View1
On the Bench
On the Bench

Post by View1 »

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/44683724

Two year contract, beating off competition from a host of other clubs.
Richinns
Country Captain
Country Captain
Favourite player: Kevin Kalala

Post by Richinns »

View1 wrote: 02 Jul 2018, 15:54 https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/44683724

Two year contract, beating off competition from a host of other clubs.
Has to go down as a poor misjudgement by Nicholson. Clearly he felt there was issues with his attitude but letting this guy go when you have no other back-up option than Fallon - it was a shocker.
Last edited by Richinns on 02 Jul 2018, 16:53, edited 1 time in total.
TUST member 328
Your club needs you. Join the TUST now - http://www.torquaysupporters.co.uk/
Dazza
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs

Post by Dazza »

If Nicholson cant be blamed for signing all the people who subsequently became injury prone he certainly can be for missing out on this guy after Fondop's obvious talent was on show at Newton Abbot. However it was the kit man who was to get the trialist's place is in the second preseason game. Nicholson may have been badly treated by being sacked after 4 games but decisions like this one were calling out for it imv.
brucie
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by brucie »

Cant see the point in berating for Nicholson for this - I mean the bloke was hardly prolific last year.

If a whole host of league clubs were after him why on earth did he sign for Wrexham?

Blimey with this bloke up front and Luke Young pulling the strings Wrexham seem to have won the title already.

Somehow I doubt it will pan out like that.........................
Dazza
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs

Post by Dazza »

In fairness Brucie I watched the game and Nicholson's decision was bizarre. Not a prolific scorer maybe but he scored more than Williams and Keating did last year and was I know very popular with Halifax fans. It was a bad decision as we went most of the season without a real No 9.
Scott Brehaut
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin
Favourite player: Lee Mansell

Post by Scott Brehaut »

BRING BACK BUCKLE.

STIP
Friend of torquayfans.com
MellowYellow
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Tony Scott

Post by MellowYellow »

Dazza wrote: 02 Jul 2018, 21:18 In fairness Brucie I watched the game and Nicholson's decision was bizarre...as we went most of the season without a real No 9.
Not as bizarre as playing the kit man in the next trial match and then subsequently signing Fallon. Even I was surprised that no-one cried for Nicho to be sectioned under the Mental Health Act, at that stage.
sgf
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: Steve Cooper

Post by sgf »

MellowYellow wrote: 02 Jul 2018, 21:47 Not as bizarre as playing the kit man in the next trial match and then subsequently signing Fallon. Even I was surprised that no-one cried for Nicho to be sectioned under the Mental Health Act, at that stage.
He was already in the asylum
Yorkieandy
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Kev Nic

Post by Yorkieandy »

It's a bizarre set of circumstances when the man responsible for keeping the club in the NL for 2 seasons running against a backdrop of chaos continues to be lambasted whilst the man responsible for getting the club relegated OUT of the NL is being supported and given the benefit of the doubt.

Look, Nico was shit. Owers is even shitter. All it means is that the club will now struggle to retain NLS status instead of struggle to retain NL status.
6667GULL
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: O'KANE

Post by 6667GULL »

Look, Nico was shit. Owers is even shitter. All it means is that the club will now struggle to retain NLS status instead of struggle to retain NL status.

Spot on Yorkieandy.
View1
On the Bench
On the Bench

Post by View1 »

Don't think either are winning in truth.

However Owers is the current man at the helm (whether we like it or not) and you can either give up or live in hope, and as Red said in Shawshank redemption "Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things".
Richinns
Country Captain
Country Captain

Post by Richinns »

View1 wrote: 03 Jul 2018, 11:07 Don't think either are winning in truth.

However Owers is the current man at the helm (whether we like it or not) and you can either give up or live in hope, and as Red said in Shawshank redemption "Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things".
Actually that was Andy Dufresne's quote on hope. Red's quote on hope was - “Hope is a dangerous thing. Hope can drive a man insane.”

Very apt for the last few years!
TUST member 328
Richinns
Country Captain
Country Captain

Post by Richinns »

With only 12 players attending training currently I have to say I am a little concerned about the time it is taking to put the squad together. I was expecting a number of additions to be announced early this week and attending training sessions by this point. The importance of getting the squad together and all at a premium fitness level is a little lost currently. There are 6 days until the first pre-season friendly and I am really hoping it does not turn into a tralists outing instead of the exercise of signed players learning to play together in preparation for the season ahead.
TUST member 328
MellowYellow
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Tony Scott

Post by MellowYellow »

A goalkeeper would be an asset to the squad. Pre-season friendly in 6 days and the kit-man is already warming up.