Thirty Years Ago Today

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
Uberwozza-san
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Dave Caldwell

Thirty Years Ago Today

Post by Uberwozza-san »

Saw one of the most dramatic games in my lifetime at Plainmoor- and there have been a few.

3-3 against Swansea in the play off Final.

A long time ago but from memory this was pre Wembley days so this was to go up, after we lost 2-1 away. I remember it absolutely lashing it down all game, and being in a very packed popside. Atmosphere was off the charts.

Think we almost snatched it but not to be - Dave Caldwell had a blinder. Anyone else recall?
sgf
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: Steve Cooper

Post by sgf »

Yes, I was there too. I think we went 2-0 and 3-1 down if memory serves and, yes, it's was absolutely torrential. It probably wouldn't have been played these days.

I can't recall if away goals counted double back then but I remember thinking at 2-0 that it was over. Caldwell was an animal that day- in a good way!!

My abiding memory is two blokes unfurling a Swansea flag on the popside two minutes from the end and promptly getting the shit seriously kicked out of them!!

I went to the vetch earlier that season to watch us knock them out of the league cup and my coach got stoned on the way back by a bunch of their fans and we had to drive back to Torquay with no windows so I considered those fans kicking a bit of karma lol

On the way back from that game we saw the players at the services and Kenny Allen prophesied that we would get Spurs next round, and we did.

Strange how thirty years later Swansea have won the league cup, been in the premier league and Europe. Maybe that was a "sliding doors" game. Next season we will be five leagues apart.
wivelgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: ROBIN STUBBS

Post by wivelgull »

I was there too.
stefano
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Don Mills

Post by stefano »

Uberwozza-san wrote: 28 May 2018, 05:21 Saw one of the most dramatic games in my lifetime at Plainmoor- and there have been a few.

3-3 against Swansea in the play off Final.

A long time ago but from memory this was pre Wembley days so this was to go up, after we lost 2-1 away. I remember it absolutely lashing it down all game, and being in a very packed popside. Atmosphere was off the charts.

Think we almost snatched it but not to be - Dave Caldwell had a blinder. Anyone else recall?
Superb game very exciting and great atmosphere. We were favourites going into the double header as we had finished miles ahead of Swansea. Even after losing 2-1 at Vetch Field in the 1st leg most people fancied us. We made it just about impossible going 2-0 down very early on with a chap who is now a good friend of mine scoring Swansea's second from the penalty spot (he also scored in the first leg), but we brought on our secret weapon Lee Sharpe from the bench and within minutes of him coming on we were 2-2. I think had we gone in level at half-time we would have gone on to win the tie in the second half, but in the final minute of the half Swansea scored again to go 3-2 up on the day and 5-3 on aggregate. The second half was one way traffic towards the Ellacombe end with Caldwell drawing us level at 3-3 and also hitting the post, but the Swansea keeper performed heroics for his side so it was to finish 3-3 and 5-4 on aggregate to the Swans. Away goals didn't count in the play-offs at that time so just one more would have seen extra time, and with home advantage in the quagmire we may just have done it. This was the last of the play-off finals played over 2 legs before it switched to Wembley. Great memories of a very exciting match though.....
brucie
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by brucie »

Yes I remember that game - we lost 2-1 in the first leg at Swansea with Caldwell scoring late on.

It was a misty old rainy day that's for sure. I think Cyril hauled off Impey and put on Lee Sharpe fairly early in the game. We created an absolute bagful of chances and really should of won the game.

I think the referee gave a couple of poor decisions if I remember rightly - Skinny big nosed **** he was - possibly surname Martin - can't remember.

Great game - we really should have gone up. What a side we had then.
chunkygull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: david graham

Post by chunkygull »

Never forget this game, disappointed like you wouldnt believe but to be honest not as much as a few weeks previously against Scunthorpe. I went to Vetch field for the fisrst leg of this which was my first ever away game. Bunked off school for the afternoon.
The pitch would have had the game called off these days. Cant remember why but Lee Sharpe didnt start this game. It was exciting and tense stuff but the goals were scrappy. I recorded the highlights on TSW next day and must have played them over and over again analysing what went wrong, as if it would change it.

Still to this day though the biggest disappointment I ever endured as a Gulls fan was the last day defeat at Orient in 98, nothing has come close to that.
You are my torquay, my only torquay, you make me happy when skies are grey, you'll never know, just, how much i love you, so don't take my torquay away.
(laa, laa, - laaaa, - la, la, - laa, laa, - laaaa, - la, la. - la,la,la,la,la, - la,la,la,la....).
Teigngull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Jackie Gallagher

Post by Teigngull »

brucie wrote: 28 May 2018, 11:33 Yes I remember that game - we lost 2-1 in the first leg at Swansea with Caldwell scoring late on.

It was a misty old rainy day that's for sure. I think Cyril hauled off Impey and put on Lee Sharpe fairly early in the game. We created an absolute bagful of chances and really should of won the game.

I think the referee gave a couple of poor decisions if I remember rightly - Skinny big nosed **** he was - possibly surname Martin - can't remember.

Great game - we really should have gone up. What a side we had then.
I think you'll find Jim McNichol scored late on at the Vetch, & also got the first 2 at Plainmoor in 2nd leg with Caldwell netting the 3rd.
Oh what I'd give for a Caldwell type player now ? Maybe I'd give an extra £100 on top of my season ticket, I did say maybe before the trolls start.
westyorkshiregull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: mark loram

Post by westyorkshiregull »

Full match ( just about ) on my YouTube channel.

Was holidaying in deep Cornwall somewhere with my mum and dad. I do recall lee Sharpe didn't play in the 1st leg because Cyril wanted to protect him for the 2nd leg. Now who knows if that was the right decision but Cyril for me has the be the greatest manager we ever had. Maybe not based on success though it was 2 nearly years with him. But if you consider he took a joke club and though Stuart Morgan brought in a few quality players , he knew how to get the best out of players. Chunky mate , your right we should have been promoted automatically and the playoffs in the maiden year felt like a booby prize but we still nearly made it. What could have been ? Though we made a cup final the next year I always felt we lost the hardman mentality needed in the 80s 4th division. Caldwell , impey and gibbens were old school fighters. Lee Sharpe gone and the predator known as Paul Dobson were people you couldn't replace. I belive the wage bill was the reason for the cull end of the year. What if we had got promoted , just maybe could have kicked on with Cyril at the helm.
Here is a question I would love people's views on as a history fan
The Wembley final in 1989 was magical , the whole of South Devon got the Wembley bug and we took 20000 odd ish I belive to london. I remember being on the train with my dad and without knowing the next door neighbour was on the next carriage who didn't have that much interest football. That's what it did.
Remember the yellow flags , blow up seagulls and the road to Wembley t shirts ???
How we didn't manage to take advantage of that sudden surge in interest was a mistake. All in hindsight of course.

Anyhow would anyone have swapped Wembley 1989 for promotion in 1988 ?

These days promotion would easily ride about the paint by numbers lower league cup.

But back then ??

1st professional Devon team at Wembley !!!!

Elton John as guest of honour !!!!!

Many people's first ever trip down Wembley way !!!

Wembley now doesn't have same magic , does it.

Thoughts ??

Promotion or cup final back in the 1980s ???
HockeyGull
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Mark Loram

Post by HockeyGull »

Back in the 1980's......the Wembley Cup Final every time!! I never expected to see TUFC a Wembley.
Fantastic day out, train from Torquay...full of optimism on the way up...though a bit flat on the way back.
The noise when Dean Edwards scored....and the fastest he ever ran in his life to get to the Torquay bench.
The disappointment when the referee waved play on when the ball ran to Daryl Pugh.....advantage would have been a Mark Loram free kick.
Happier times with a proper team.
Teigngull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Jackie Gallagher

Post by Teigngull »

Thoughts ??

Promotion or cup final back in the 1980's ?

To be honest, Both ! Yes I feel we were that good under Cyril.
Even though we manages to go up in '91, 'Bambers melt down' and all that.. It was too little too late, we would've probably made a better fist of it under Cyril's guidance and if we stayed in the 3rd tier for more than 1 season, momentum kicks in, stability kicks in better players come, crowds get bigger, more investment comes yadah yadah yadah .
Simple this game isn't it......
Last edited by Teigngull on 28 May 2018, 21:21, edited 1 time in total.
westyorkshiregull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: mark loram

Post by westyorkshiregull »

Here we go

29 years ago today we went to Wembley

Same date as previous year agasint Swansea

28th may 1989