Ebbsfleet on Saturday

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
Trojan 67
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by Trojan 67 »

tomogull wrote: 26 Apr 2018, 18:04 Yep - I think your Exeter/Torquay comparison is about right, Andy. Only caveat - Torquay - point 4. That's because we never get past bliddy [highlight=yellow]Round 1[/highlight] !!!!
Enter next season at Qualifying Round 2. Win five rounds and get in the 3rd Round proper? :-D :rofl:
Friend of TorquayFans.com
Member of the Month November 2020
Southampton Gull: "Well deserved"
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

Trojan 67 wrote: 26 Apr 2018, 20:56 Enter next season at Qualifying Round 2. Win five rounds and get in the 3rd Round proper? :-D :rofl:
Jesus Trojan, did you manage to stay out of the toilet long enoguh to make that post.. :)
Formerly known as forevertufc
Trojan 67
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by Trojan 67 »

forevertufc wrote: 26 Apr 2018, 20:58 Jesus Trojan, did you manage to stay out of the toilet long enoguh to make that post.. :)
Aye, take the piss proper me :lol:
Member of the Month November 2020
Southampton Gull: "Well deserved"
gullpower
First Regular
First Regular

Post by gullpower »

merse btpir wrote: 26 Apr 2018, 11:31 Those Exeter City owners didn't 'fleece their creditors'; those creditors were owed money by the previous administration.....

It's exactly what we would have to do if faced with a community/trust ownership in the future because if they refused or declined to do that then the FA would not permit them to own Torquay United.

Trusts do not exist ~ nor are permitted ~ to underwrite the losses of the club ownership. It's not within their legal remit under the Community Benefit Society legislation.

Supporters’ Trusts are typically constituted as Community Benefit Societies (CBS), a form of Co-operative that operates under a one-member one-vote principle. CBS’ are registered with the Financial Conduct Authority (FCA), and any changes to their rules must be approved by the members and only become effective once the FCA has agreed them, checking they are in keeping with the spirit of the organisation. The members own all assets and liabilities collectively, and any profit made is either kept as reserves or reinvested to meet its objects. They are not charities and whilst they contain the word ‘Trust’ they do not follow the legal definition of a ‘Trust’.

Exeter City's and Torquay United's trusts are two of over 200 supporters trusts in the UK, with more than 50 now owning and running their clubs*. Many others have meaningful involvement through board representation, structured dialogue or campaigning as TUST is endeavouring to do. Over the country, trust members have raised more than £50 million to be reinvested back into their clubs and communities including £6 million through community shares projects. Supporters Direct use their unique position to develop policies and research to help each and every individual trust as well as generally improve sport and they in themselves are owned by the many different supporters trusts and community owned clubs.

* ‘supporter ownership’ (or similar phrases like ‘community ownership’) means that;

- A minimum of 50% +1 of the voting rights of the Club are controlled collectively by a democratic entity which has an open and inclusive membership
‘Democratic’ to mean the membership of the entity to work on a one member one vote principle
‘Inclusive’ to mean that there are no substantial barriers to participate as a voting member, with membership open to all that are sympathetic to the aims of the Club
Any profits are reinvested back into the Club as opposed to being distributed to shareholders.
The Club is committed to running as a sustainable business.
It’s not to say that other forms of ownership don’t work and should be ignored, but research suggests that Community Ownership opens up a number of benefits to a Club that are much harder to achieve or not possible to achieve in a privately owned Club.
:goodpost:
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Southampton Gull »

merse btpir wrote: 26 Apr 2018, 11:31 Those Exeter City owners didn't 'fleece their creditors'; those creditors were owed money by the previous administration.....

Nowhere did I say the Exeter Trust fleeced local owners but thanks for the er lesson in how trusts run ;-)
Dave

merse btpir
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: robin stubbs

Post by merse btpir »

My pleasure Dave; but here are still a number of deluded people out there who think a trust can come in and financially prop up a failed business plan.....

The last board were guilty of that gullibility for the simple reason they were totally uneducated and hadn't made it their business to learn apart from what Pete Masers told them and Merv Balson enthusiastically backed up about the benefits of community ownership.

So they very understandably dismissed community involvement on the premis that as it wasn't going to help them pay next month's wage bill then it was no good. That's what happens when you construct a board exclusively of people putting money in to a club as either benefactors or guarantors and failed to include one or two not required to do that but included for their expertise and understanding of the game and how it works.

That is why they should have co-opted a trust board member or two and benefitted from their collective knowledge that they would have brought to the table.

A member of another National League club's board with a very high regard for Torquay United borne of fond memories of several visits to Plainmoor told me how exasperating it had been for him when explaining the benefits of community ownership/co-option to them, their eyes just collectively glazed over almost as if they were about to cover their ears as well.

Add that to a conversation I had with Dave Phillips when he touched on the involvement that turned out to be the decisive and nevertheless much needed loan from Gaming International and I knew the club was ****.

Phillips and co simply needed that injection of capital or the club would have closed ~ no denying that and Clarke Osborne is wholly within his rights to point that out ~ but it was the irrational and irresponsible manner in which Thea Bristow executed her exit strategy that led to it and the lack of knowledge amongst those she dumped it on that sealed it.
United62
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Les Lawrence

Post by United62 »

So, there you have it fleetfanwest .... the reasons you'll have no trouble finding a parking space tomorrow.

(bet you're glad you asked!)
''I was born under the Mini Stand....''
fleetfanwest
New Signing
New Signing

Post by fleetfanwest »

Exhaustive reading alright, but as I said my club has been there on numerous occassions so you most certainly have my sympathy.

We have been very fortunate to have been saved at the 11th hour as recently as 2013/14, so I sincerely hope that you can survive and prosper in the future,grass roots is the bedrock of our national game and I personally have little interest in Premier league,and let's face it they feel much the same about us.
lucy6lucy
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Chris Myers

Post by lucy6lucy »

fleetfanwest wrote: 27 Apr 2018, 12:17 Exhaustive reading alright, but as I said my club has been there on numerous occassions so you most certainly have my sympathy.

We have been very fortunate to have been saved at the 11th hour as recently as 2013/14, so I sincerely hope that you can survive and prosper in the future,grass roots is the bedrock of our national game and I personally have little interest in Premier league,and let's face it they feel much the same about us.
Good luck in the playoffs
Lucy
Bristol_Gull
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Rodney Jack
Watches from: Pop side

Post by Bristol_Gull »

How does EVERY thread always end in some convoluted debate?!

HINT...it's the same people every time!

Sorry Ebbsfleet fan about our supporters, we've had a tough ride and people's feathers are a bit ruffled round these parts. I don't think you will see many of our fans at the game today so I'm sure parking won't be a problem! Hope you found the answer you need and good luck in the game - we have nothing to play for, pride is already lost so I hope that you get what you need from the game.
HockeyGull
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Mark Loram

Post by HockeyGull »

23rd and final opportunity to walk away from Plainmoor disappointed this season....12 defeats already and some of the most abject performances I have ever seen. At the end of today the loan players pack up and go back home. The likes of Healy and Lemonhaigh Evans have a bright future in better teams. Hoping to hear that there will be no future at this club for some of the others. We have no room for a contracted centre forward with his own seat in the grandstand, or a centre half who has a season ticket for the sick bay.
Call me a heretic but I would rather have McGinty than Gowling....always preferred to play alongside someone with a bit of fire in their belly than a 'can't be arsed today' merchant.
Ebbsfleet to win.....though hopefully Healy will score at least one to top the scoring chart.
Last edited by HockeyGull on 28 Apr 2018, 11:27, edited 1 time in total.
westyorkshiregull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: mark loram

Post by westyorkshiregull »

Just got evens on a ebbsfleet win so as much admit pains me betting against my own team , it really doesn't matter in the slightest today apart from paying fans I guess. It's fairly irrelevant as most of them will get the red card at 6 o clock I can't see any kind of performance. Much to little and now it late
brucie
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by brucie »

There is no value in that price. Torquay are over 4/1 - actually Torquays line up looks quite strong today.

Irrespective of the teams positions the prices are completely arse about face. All Torquay at the moment.
brucie
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by brucie »

Absolutely all over them.
tufc si
Skipper
Skipper
Favourite player: Kevin Hill

Post by tufc si »

We’ll bang out the best performance of the season today when we don’t even need it, typical.

Woking and Barrow are both losing. Barrow are obviously in the driving seat though, can’t see Woking getting anything against Dover and I doubt Barrow will lose to a poor Chester side.

I honestly don’t think realisation has yet hit me regarding our relegation, considering the other sides that have gone down already, and the other side that drops today. How the **** are we on par with Guiseley, Chester, Woking/Barrow?!....