So what do we need......?

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
Richinns
Country Captain
Country Captain
Favourite player: Kevin Kalala

So what do we need......?

Post by Richinns »

Nicho has done a great job recruting on a restricted budget. He has recently stated he wants a final squad of 17-19 players which seems slightly short (especially if we have injuries and suspensions).

So far we have:

Keeper
Moore
+1 needed

Left Back
+1 Needed (would love it to be Butler but I suspect not)
Nicho (as cover only!)

Right back
Verma
+1 cover (until Berry is back?)

Centre Back
MacDonald
Gerring

+1 needed

Centre Mid:
Lathrope
Young
Chaney
Duke

+1 needed (Richards?)

Wingers:
Sparkes
+1 needed
cover - Hancox/and perhaps Chaney could do a job

Strikers
Blissett
Williams

+1 (Harrad?) needed

If my Math is right I think we need 20 minimum as I would be worried if we don't have the places covered as above. Perhaps this could be trimmed to 19 if someone in the squad could also do a job as cover for right back should Verma be injured/suspended but cannot see how we can have only 17? (especially if the emergency loan window is not available!).
TUST member 328
Your club needs you. Join the TUST now - http://www.torquaysupporters.co.uk/
RussianGull
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero

Post by RussianGull »

Left back and another winger are priorities for me, alongside an experienced 'brute' CB to guide the still young Angus MacD.

I notice that the 2 reserve keepers from last year - Fisher and Corderoy were invited back for training so do we think there may be some thought of using one of those guys as a part time back up, perhaps?

Whatever loanees we get in we can expect to see them on a season long loan as KN himself has stated how unfond of short term loans he is and certainly these short term chaps won't add to the togetherness and team spirit Nicho has instilled in the squad.

Exciting times.
Gullscorer
Legend
Legend

Post by Gullscorer »

As always, KN will be restricted by the available budget. He has been working wonders to build a decent squad, but if its optimum size cannot be reached, then flexibility is the key.
Gulliball
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin
Favourite player: Kevin Hill

Post by Gulliball »

I think we need 4 first team players to complete a good first XI (playing 4-4-2). These are a left back, right back, centre back and right wing.

Moore
RB – MacDonald – CB – LB
RW – Young – Lathrope – Sparkes
Williams – Blissett

I think we also need 2 more squad players, plus goalkeeping cover, which would make us 21 if you included absolutely everybody. The water is a bit muddied by having Nicholson as player-manager, Berry who is out of contract but still at the club, though won’t play for six months, and Hancox and Duke who are yet to play a league game for us.

Right now, if you include all these 4, we have 14 players connected to us, so the 4 new first team players, back-up midfielder, striker and goalkeeper would be 21. If you don’t include all of these then you’d be back down into Nicholson’s 17-19 estimate.

I don’t think you can have a squad much smaller than that, as you wouldn’t even have a replacement for each position.

Moore (New reserve GK)
New LB (Nicholson)
New RB (Verma, Berry)
New CB (Gerring)
MacDonald (Gerring)
New RW (Verma)
Sparkes (Chaney, or play a narrow 4-4-2)
Young (Chaney)
Lathrope (New reserve midfield, possibly Richards or similar)
Blissett (New reserve striker, possibly Harrad or similar)
Williams

This doesn’t include Hancox or Duke as they haven’t yet shown they are in the first team picture, but even with all of these players it’s very tight. One injury and we’re reducing the quality a lot, two injuries and we’d have someone out of position. But I suppose this is the only way to do it if the budget is limited and you want to have some quality.

The reserve GK could easily be Fisher/Corderoy again as I think we’d still be allowed an emergency goalkeeper if necessary, which might save us a bit of money.

One area we could possibly maximise is the loan players – especially ones like Andre Wright that we are not contributing to financially. Under the new rules they would have to be season long loans and could only be recalled in January, so would actually offer some stability. The trouble is that the lack of recall makes them much less appealing to Premiership clubs and so fewer players will go out on loan. They might want assurances/financial penalties for the loanee not to be in the first XI, so you couldn’t just do this for squad depth.

All in all, I think we’re in a very good position all things considered. We just need a few more players to complete the team and then as much depth as we can physically get in the building on the remaining budget.
www.torquayfanstats.com
Twitter: @torquayfanstats
northlondongull
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Rodney Jack

Post by northlondongull »

On a very positive note, if the season started tomorrow then you could line up with:

Moore

Verma Gerring MacDonald Nicholson

Lathrope
Sparkes Chaney
Young

Blissett Williams

That team would compete at National League level and with a few additions then it could be very competitive. The priority has to be: CB, LB (Butler), LM, CF (Harrad), CM (Richards) and then see where we are.
Gullscorer
Legend
Legend

Post by Gullscorer »

And there's always the possibility of a loan signing or two later in the season, depending on how it all plays out..
wivelgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: ROBIN STUBBS

Post by wivelgull »

I agree with the need for a hard man in defence; you know, someone like Eric Webber or Reg Wyatt, but, as tomogull with tell you, Colin Bettany has never really been replaced.
tomogull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Colin Bettany

Post by tomogull »

wivelgull wrote:I agree with the need for a hard man in defence; you know, someone like Eric Webber or Reg Wyatt, but, as tomogull with tell you, Colin Bettany has never really been replaced.
:goodpost: I totally agree with Wivel ....... :-D
portugull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: lee mansell
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by portugull »

We need Dan Butler to sign for the new season. Come on Dan we really need you. A very committed player with a great engine.

Still no news on Harrad and Richards which surprises me.

Has Durrell Berry signed? I know he will not be available for several months as he recovers from his broken leg. Anyone know?
Gulliball
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin
Favourite player: Kevin Hill

Post by Gulliball »

I think the current situation is that his insurance is basically covering his recovery period - so he's not under contract any longer but the insurance covers his wages whilst he's injured and he'll spend his rehab with us. When fit we'll presumably offer him a six month contract until the end of the season, but that's not guaranteed and a decision will likely be delayed until he's much nearer full fitness.
www.torquayfanstats.com
Twitter: @torquayfanstats
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

I personally would not tie up any of the player budget bringing a second decent goalkeeper to warm the bench, and being honest any keeper we'd attract as potential no2, to Moore probably will not be of the required standard anyway, I think either Fisher or Corderoy would fine on the bench as match day cover, an in the event of an injury to Moore, the club could always go down the road it did last season, and bring in cover on loan.

I'd rather the budget be spent on bringing some good quality in terms of a centre back, left back, midfielder and winger, Nicho should only play himself as an absolute last resort, it was proved beyond a doubt last season, his playing days are over, and he knows it, not fussed if Richards does not re-sign, yes he had a couple of fantastic games towards the end of the season, but for the majority of the season, he worked hard as he always does, but in terms of quality he was bang awful, there's better players out there for the same money.
Formerly known as forevertufc
tomogull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Colin Bettany

Post by tomogull »

forevertufc wrote:I personally would not tie up any of the player budget bringing a second decent goalkeeper to warm the bench, and being honest any keeper we'd attract as potential no2, to Moore probably will not be of the required standard anyway, I think either Fisher or Corderoy would fine on the bench as match day cover, an in the event of an injury to Moore, the club could always go down the road it did last season, and bring in cover on loan.

I'd rather the budget be spent on bringing some good quality in terms of a centre back, left back, midfielder and winger, Nicho should only play himself as an absolute last resort, it was proved beyond a doubt last season, his playing days are over, and he knows it, not fussed if Richards does not re-sign, yes he had a couple of fantastic games towards the end of the season, but for the majority of the season, he worked hard as he always does, but in terms of quality he was bang awful, there's better players out there for the same money.
Agree with you re the goalkeeper situation but I think you're being a tad harsh on Courtney Richards. I haven't checked myself, but I'm fairly sure Courtney was consistently in the 'top five' players for match after match at the start of the season and I well remember posters on here saying he should have been made captain, and not Angus. For whatever reason, he had a dip in form half way through the season and then as you say, he played better again towards the end. In my opinion, we'd be hard pushed to sign a better player at this level.
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

Hi Tomo, I respect your opinions as I do all. I think I should clarify, when I say I'm not fussed if Richards re-signs, I mean I'm not fussed either way, I'd equally happy if he did sign on as I would if he decided to leave for pastures new.

Don't get me wrong, Richards is a hard working player with a great attitude out on the pitch something I've never denied, every successful team needs a good mix of technical and hard working players with in the level they play at. But Lathrope gives us everything Richards does, only in terms of decision making, and particularly short passing, will give us more accuracy and consistency, than Richards ever will.

The majority of the time Richards long passing over hit, short passing under hit, yes we're national league, I get that, but see the top 8 from last season , not a valid excuse. Depends on where your teams ambition lies, if your happy scrapping around the mid to upper mid table in the national league, Richards is great squad filler, if you want to push for the play-offs or better, you need a little more than a hard worker with a great attitude.
Formerly known as forevertufc
royalgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Stevland Angus

Post by royalgull »

You've nailed the areas where we need, I half expect Grant Fisher to be the backup keeper again where he can be there for emergencies only and we get a loan in if we get an injury. Dan Butler, courtney richards and Shaun Harrad signing would just be fantastic it would give us a really good side providing we can use whatever budget we have left to sign an experienced centre back and a winger for the right hand side. That's ideal scenario but sadly I think Butler for one will be on his way, can't really blame him he can play at least 1 possibly 2 leagues higher and he gave us everything last year in a season of pure turmoil and shambolic goings on for the most part.
Kit_robin
Vice Captain
Vice Captain

Post by Kit_robin »

royalgull wrote:You've nailed the areas where we need, I half expect Grant Fisher to be the backup keeper again where he can be there for emergencies only and we get a loan in if we get an injury. Dan Butler, courtney richards and Shaun Harrad signing would just be fantastic it would give us a really good side providing we can use whatever budget we have left to sign an experienced centre back and a winger for the right hand side. That's ideal scenario but sadly I think Butler for one will be on his way, can't really blame him he can play at least 1 possibly 2 leagues higher and he gave us everything last year in a season of pure turmoil and shambolic goings on for the most part.
Unless it's in January we won't be able to loan people outside the Windows next year, whether it's to cover injuries or not. Would still probably go with fisher though and take the chance.