Who still has faith?

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.

Who still has faith we will stay up?

We will stay up
17%
We will go down
83%

Total votes: 66

Dave_Pougher
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Mansell

Post by Dave_Pougher »

I voted we can stay up,,,,, but only if CH is braver than he has currently been.

On another subject,
Am I missing something,,,, can anyone please tell me what Bill Phillips brings to the club? Please will someone enlighten me.
Tamargull
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Dave Caldwell

Post by Tamargull »

Could not be there today. What really p***es me off is the reports that say that many of the players simply do not care. How about not paying some of them this week? How about showing some of them the door now! (I'd rather play with a thread bare squad of players who care than have a large number who appear not to give a sh**!!) As for Hargreaves, too early to tell what sort of manager he is but the striker situation is turning into a joke.
No, I do not believe we will stay up. Some members of the board saved the club, but as a collective, they acted too slowly to a situation most fans could see was becoming progressively worse.
Pringlejumperman

Post by Pringlejumperman »

What do any of the board do .also a lot of you lot need to wake up and say what you feel bloody wet behind the ears other words happy clappers won't say a bad word about the board
AlexGulls
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Chris McPhee

Post by AlexGulls »

I have to agree with the majority. I cant see us getting out of it. I'm not going to judge Hargreaves till next season. Lets face it he is stuck with a squad of mainly Knill signed players who only care about the wages and not the club. I honestly believe once we get rid of some of the dross we have Hargreaves is the right man to get the right players with the right attitude in.
wivelgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: ROBIN STUBBS

Post by wivelgull »

Not a chance. Not an earthly. Never in a million years. It's an amateur operation run by amateurs. We will never return. I lost faith years ago, but kept on coming. No more. Just see what the crowd is on Tuesday night. Why should we be fed this tenth rate crap?
gullintwoplaces
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Mark Loram

Post by gullintwoplaces »

I am afraid that the end is certain now. Only a few of our current squad are up to it, the majority are not. I feel very badly let down.

All I hope is that this is not the end for the club, which I fear very much.
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

This is a difficult one for me, while there is mathematical chance we could stay up we should fight on and at least try not be defeatist. However a certain amount of honesty has to come into this as well, my faith went into the toilet after the Northampton game, today it flushed down the loo, that was just not good enough.
Formerly known as forevertufc
Jeff
Plays for Country
Plays for Country

Post by Jeff »

Can't see us surviving - you look at the upturn in form of those around us, and if it was going to happen for us it would have done so already. Too many things wrong to rectify.

I've massively cut back on the number of games I go to. I used to enjoy it, often even in defeat it would be a decent game of football, but not any more. Its always a meek surrender and turgid to watch, and I don't enjoy it anymore so can easily justify not going.

And FWIW, I actually enjoyed the conference days. The strange, random away days and grounds; the sometimes bizarre quality of football; the atmosphere - it was all strangely enjoyable. Plus, I've come to terms that that is the level we operate these days. I just don't think Torquay can sustain league football anymore
taunton_gull
First Regular
First Regular

Post by taunton_gull »

Hereford lost 2-0 at Dartford today and now sit 18th in the conference. It is a league which takes no prisoners and I can't see that we will necessarily fare any better.
The original taunton_gull!!!
bengull
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Kevin Nicholson

Post by bengull »

Nope, faith gone. Already mentally preparing myself for the nauseating trips to Alfreton, Gateshead, Braintree and the like. We are in freefall, there is simply too much wrong and too much damage to fix, I defy anyone in attendance today to give me evidence on the contrary.
okehampton gull
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: ALAN WELSH

Post by okehampton gull »

S H I T, AND MORE SHIT , WHAT IS THE MANAGER DOING , LATHROPE HAS BEEN ONE OF THE BEST PLAYERS .
WE SHOULD HAVE HAD SOME BALLS AND MADE HARROP MANAGER.
leetufc
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Alex Russell
Watches from: Pop side

Post by leetufc »

I would love to have the optimism of those who think we are staying up.

Our season rested on winning the last two home games. If we had won those then Northampton would have been cut adrift at the bottom and we would have kept up with the rest and has some form of momentum. Our next four games are against 3 teams fighting for automatic promotion and one just outside the playoffs. Just to keep up with those above us we'll probably need somewhere between 7-9 points, or risk facing an almost impossible points gap opening up, and I think we will be lucky to pick up 3.

This seasons problem has been too many poor team selections, not enough bravery from managers dropping players underperforming and far too many loanees. I would much rather Yeoman had been given a few games to prove himself after his couple of appearances at the end of last season, than being a testing ground for Championship club youngsters who don't seem to care.
hector
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: jim mcnichol

Post by hector »

No - the board acted far too late in getting rid of Knill and so essentially it is academic. I think Hargreaves has been slightly unlucky in that the spate of postponements destroyed any chance of a dead cat bounce that might have seen us nick a couple of wins but the team that Knill assembled is just too poor to cut it. The massive turnover of players, started by Knill because the players he signed in the first place were nowhere near good enough, just unsettles and unstabilises everything and the only option open to Hargreaves is to do the same but the quality is just not there.

Today was a defining result. We are set to join that embarrassing list of clubs like Lincoln, Darlington, Halifax, Chester, Hereford who have been twice relegated out of the league and like those, it will be tricky and probably unlikely to ever get anywhere near the Football League again.

It just seems so unnecessary. The club isn't cutting back on everything like it did during the Bateson years. The progress the club made after the Roberts/Bateson fiasco was astonishing but the club acted too late to replace Ling last year, were too hasty in appointing the inept Alan Knill and too slow in getting rid of him, when it was obvious as early as September that we were in trouble.

Just hope that somehow Exeter get dragged into it with us.
Last edited by hector on 22 Feb 2014, 22:16, edited 1 time in total.
yellowforever
Skipper
Skipper
Favourite player: Our next signing

Post by yellowforever »

I usually hate all of the 'well we might as well throw all our youth team in there next game, they can't do any worse' brigade, but I think it's sadly approaching that point.

Pearce, O'Connor, Chapell, Labadie, Goodwin, Lathrope, Bodin, Wilkinson (promising), perhaps Downes and Poke.

I don't really care about the rest, the other 8 of the matchday squad should be made up of some young players trying to prove themselves, including Craig, Yeoman and Sullivan. We're going down anyway, at least this way we can see if any sink or swim and evaluate them for next season in a lower division.
"We are now so far up sh*t creek our boat is actually poking out the end of someones toilet bowl."
Brucie. 27/02/14
taunton_gull
First Regular
First Regular

Post by taunton_gull »

Only at Torquay United could such a massive collective effort be put in to save the club to then needlessly flush it all down the u-bend barely five years later. Despite the writing being on the wall for such a long time I am struggling to come to terms with exactly how this has been allowed to happen. There is a strange sense of apathy around the club which is deeply concerning, last time this happened there was a huge feeling of anger among the fans about what had gone on - all sides were determined to turn around the injustice and see us regain our rightful place in the league. This time that clearly is not evident, which is why I fear there is nothing to stop us becoming the next Stockport or Darlington - despite there only being a five point gap and a decent number of games left, I don't feel this scenario is overdramatic which is possibly the most sad thing of all.
The original taunton_gull!!!