shaun cooper- Signed

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
ferrarilover
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: You'll find out ;-)

Post by ferrarilover »

Alas, it is. Nico isn't good enough technically, nor is he tall enough or anything else to allow a man 15 years younger and 5 seconds/100 yards faster than him any sort of space. The only thing Nico can hope to do is get tight enough to the winger that he stops the attack at source. We were fortunate at Wombles that their strikers, despite being tall, were mainly blind and/or shit, so we could afford to send Pearce and/or Downer across to help Nico fight off that nippy kid (St Kitts & Nevis, or whatever he's called). While I'm sure Northampton will be even more hapless in front of goal, Oxford certainly won't and I'm willing to bet that even Alfie Potter would lead the [rapidly] ageing Nico (club legend etc) a merry dance.

He does bring a lot to the table, Nico, his delivery was worth a goal to us on Saturday and, if his corners remain in the Nathan Craig mold as per the Wombles match, then he's definitely an asset going forwards, but I am so concerned about him defensively, which, after all, is his actual job. Being a dead ball man is secondary to his primary task of being better (in all aspects) than his winger. Defending against attackers is like policing terrorists. The police need to get lucky every time, the terrorists only need to get lucky once. Nico can make 10 good tackles in a match, but only needs to get skinned by a kid he can't hope to chase down the once and we're in grave danger of conceding.

For me, LB is still our weakest area. I like Tom Cruise, but he suffers from similarly damaging weaknesses as Nico. First priority in the summer, I'm afraid is one, maybe two, out and better replacements in. If Cooper is that guy, then great.

Matt.
J5 said, "ferrarilover is 100% correct"
bengull
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Kevin Nicholson

Post by bengull »

Rangeroverlover wrote:. Nico can make 10 good tackles in a match, but only needs to get skinned by a kid he can't hope to chase down the once and we're in grave danger of conceding.

Matt.
A perfectly reasonable observation, but that is the nature of League two football, if these guys were perfect then they wouldn't be playing in League Two. Maybe we're blinkered and/or jealous because we are continually lumbered with wingers who are unable to beat their full back on a regular basis. Nico did a fine job on Saturday, yes he was targeted slightly but we did not concede, and once he was booked (unfairly) he couldn't be as forceful in his tackling as we might have wanted. You would expect an onslaught from the opposition at 0-2, and you would expect our midfield to double up in order to protect a lead- nothing unnatural there.

Our defence has been error prone all season, you could level the same mistakes per game statistic at Downes or Tonge quite easily, Nicho I feel is scapegoated because his lack of pace is so noticeable. Yet his footballing brain is still so good that positionally he won't get caught out a'la Cruise, for this reason alone I think we will concede less goals with Nico in the team. We looked far more solid against Morecambe, Nico's communicating and organising helping this be the case, and got a precious clean sheet against Wimbledon too with Poke not really having too much to do. Compare this against Knill's set up where we looked like we concede at every attack and they look like two completely different defences.

Nico isn't perfect and I fully agree its a position we need to address in the summer, but at the moment, in the midst of a relegation scrap, with experience, control and spot on set piece delivery needed in huge quantities, Nicho is the best option we have.
Gullscorer
Legend
Legend

Post by Gullscorer »

bengull wrote: A perfectly reasonable observation, but that is the nature of League two football, if these guys were perfect then they wouldn't be playing in League Two. Maybe we're blinkered and/or jealous because we are continually lumbered with wingers who are unable to beat their full back on a regular basis. Nico did a fine job on Saturday, yes he was targeted slightly but we did not concede, and once he was booked (unfairly) he couldn't be as forceful in his tackling as we might have wanted. You would expect an onslaught from the opposition at 0-2, and you would expect our midfield to double up in order to protect a lead- nothing unnatural there.

Our defence has been error prone all season, you could level the same mistakes per game statistic at Downes or Tonge quite easily, Nicho I feel is scapegoated because his lack of pace is so noticeable. Yet his footballing brain is still so good that positionally he won't get caught out a'la Cruise, for this reason alone I think we will concede less goals with Nico in the team. We looked far more solid against Morecambe, Nico's communicating and organising helping this be the case, and got a precious clean sheet against Wimbledon too with Poke not really having too much to do. Compare this against Knill's set up where we looked like we concede at every attack and they look like two completely different defences.

Nico isn't perfect and I fully agree its a position we need to address in the summer, but at the moment, in the midst of a relegation scrap, with experience, control and spot on set piece delivery needed in huge quantities, Nicho is the best option we have.
:goodpost:
arcadia
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Jake Andrews

Post by arcadia »

Rangeroverlover wrote:Alas, it is. Nico isn't good enough technically, nor is he tall enough or anything else to allow a man 15 years younger and 5 seconds/100 yards faster than him any sort of space. The only thing Nico can hope to do is get tight enough to the winger that he stops the attack at source. We were fortunate at Wombles that their strikers, despite being tall, were mainly blind and/or sh*t, so we could afford to send Pearce and/or Downer across to help Nico fight off that nippy kid (St Kitts & Nevis, or whatever he's called). While I'm sure Northampton will be even more hapless in front of goal, Oxford certainly won't and I'm willing to bet that even Alfie Potter would lead the [rapidly] ageing Nico (club legend etc) a merry dance.

He does bring a lot to the table, Nico, his delivery was worth a goal to us on Saturday and, if his corners remain in the Nathan Craig mold as per the Wombles match, then he's definitely an asset going forwards, but I am so concerned about him defensively, which, after all, is his actual job. Being a dead ball man is secondary to his primary task of being better (in all aspects) than his winger. Defending against attackers is like policing terrorists. The police need to get lucky every time, the terrorists only need to get lucky once. Nico can make 10 good tackles in a match, but only needs to get skinned by a kid he can't hope to chase down the once and we're in grave danger of conceding.

For me, LB is still our weakest area. I like Tom Cruise, but he suffers from similarly damaging weaknesses as Nico. First priority in the summer, I'm afraid is one, maybe two, out and better replacements in. If Cooper is that guy, then great.

Matt.
I agree with you but if there was a choice between the two I would choose Nico because of his assets. Cruise does not clear his lines when he has won the ball. :)
nickfrench82
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: Ummmmmm

Post by nickfrench82 »

Sorry if I have missed it, but has there been any update on this. I've seen nothing since we were apparently on the verge of signing him over a week ago
kevgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by kevgull »

Just signed a potential 18 month contract. Very good news!
Life is like TUFC. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. :goal:
AustrianAndyGull
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Kev Nicholson

Post by AustrianAndyGull »

Yes indeed! Well done Chris and welcome to the club Shaun!
Strangely enough it was Pope Gregory the 9th inviting me for drinks aboard his steam yacht, the saucy sue currently wintering in montego bay with the England cricket team and the Balanese Goddess of plenty.
CP Gull

Post by CP Gull »

Great news. I really think he will prove a valuable addition to the squad, not least because he can do a decent job in a number of positions. :scarf:
bixieupnorth
Legend
Legend

Post by bixieupnorth »

still keeping the faith
AustrianAndyGull
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Kev Nicholson

Post by AustrianAndyGull »

Cheers Bix, we were wondering when you were gonna get round to it! :na:
Strangely enough it was Pope Gregory the 9th inviting me for drinks aboard his steam yacht, the saucy sue currently wintering in montego bay with the England cricket team and the Balanese Goddess of plenty.
diamondgirl
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero
Favourite player: Aaron Downes

Post by diamondgirl »

Welcome Shaun. Thing are looking up.
"Thing's turn out best when you make the best of the way thing's turn out."
Richinns
Country Captain
Country Captain
Favourite player: Kevin Kalala

Post by Richinns »

Interesting the official story describe him as a defender and not a midfielder and that he can play anywhere across the back four. Could be we are looking at him as a left back then?
TUST member 328
Your club needs you. Join the TUST now - http://www.torquaysupporters.co.uk/
ferrarilover
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: You'll find out ;-)

Post by ferrarilover »

Doesn't clear his lines, by which you mean he doesn't aimlessly hack the ball forward. Learn that at Man Utd, did you?

Matt.
J5 said, "ferrarilover is 100% correct"