The Old Codgers Club

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
wivelgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: ROBIN STUBBS

Post by wivelgull »

I take my hat off to frenchgull - he certainly wins the prize for Old Codger-ism.
ROADRUNNER
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: clint boulton

Post by ROADRUNNER »

yep me too 50 years next year, i remember watching from the grandstand with my grandfather, big crowds in them days.
hector
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: jim mcnichol

Post by hector »

wivelgull wrote:Behind-the-Gulls is now a member of The Old Codgers' Club.
Criteria: (a) knew Plainmoor in the days of the Cowshed
(b) Saw Robin Stubbs in all his glory
(c) Supported United in the great days of the late 60s when we regularly got crowds of 10000+
(d) Said hello to Tommy Northcott and Ernie Pym in the street

Any one of these will do.
None of those for me. I didn't start going until the days of Steve Cooper and Les Lawrence.
Glostergull
Country Captain
Country Captain

Post by Glostergull »

Yipes Am I really that old. I am pretty sure I qualify as I started when I was * way back in the days just before we had that Famous Spurs game. I had only just started School and up until then I had seen a fair number of games as Grandad watched em all. I wasn't in Torquay all the time so couldn't see em all. but I was avid at the time. Visits down there were a real highlight for me even at that tender age. Much to fathers annoyance. he hated the football.
I think I may even have passed the milestone already. I was only 6 months off starting School but caught the bug very early. didn't have a clue who was who in those days. too small even then but loved the stands. Yes I even thought of the Marnham road terrace and the cow shed as stands. the atmosphere. The colour. epsecialy the evening matches. (oh how I wish they would do them on saturday or Friday nights again). everything about it and even these days I still have the passion.
Always Look on the bright side of life

Check out my poems topic... http://www.torquayfans.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=4843
tomogull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Colin Bettany

Post by tomogull »

Ah yes, Glostergull - Friday and Saturday night matches. Good times !

Now here's a couple of 'I don't believe it' nuggets for the Old Codgers Club -
1. Me and my mate who I go to Plainmoor with hit the big 60 about the same time ... er, a couple of years ago. On the way to the ground for a match shortly afterwards, we were arguing what age you had to be to go through the Old Gits turnstile - was it 60 or 65 ? We decided the obvious way to find out was to ask at the turnstile. And do you know what ? This is the honest truth - the bloke on the turnstile didn't know !! Priceless

2. My son's father-in-law who is of the same vintage is a WBA season ticket holder. And guess what - the price of his season ticket is LESS than mine !!! The reason ? WBA concessionary rates kick in at age 60 - Torquay it's 65. :-/
AdelaideGull
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Jimmy Dunne

Post by AdelaideGull »

Really dont want to be considered as an "Old Codger" as am still running half marathon's at a tad under 1hr 45 mins @53yrs of age - its all due to the weather in Aus!

However
a) Cowshed - definately, can remember picking up off the floor empty Vimto and Dawes "Dandilion & Burdock" bottles to return to the shop for a penny refund! "Scoop" (was that his name?) at the back of shed shout up up!

b) Yep, saw that great man play

c) Yep - First game 4 -2 v Walsall in 68/69 season - think we finished 6th in the third division

d) No, but used to stop off in Sammy Collins newsagents shop half way down forest road after a Saturday game to get a football "pink" - how did they ever manage to print the results so quickly after a game AND distribute the papers to a shop??

Other "famed" nostalgia of plainmoor? - Freddie King (fearsome groundsman - get off my bleedy pitch! he would shout at us all) the smell of linament whafting from the changing rooms, watching the Spurs 1970 game from halfway up the floodlight at the Marnham Road end and the construction of the "famed" Mini Stand................. ah jumpers for goalposts!

NB: Back on track - did get to the York game - what an abject performance from both the team and supporters - did someone die just before kick off? Never heard a ground so quiet!!
Behind-the-Gulls
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs

Post by Behind-the-Gulls »

Some memories...........
1. Watching matches from back of the "old" pop side stood on a stool(wooden one,I should add,as opposed to a turd!) :lol:
2.Buying gob-stoppers from the "tuck-shop" which served as the buffet in those days-wooden hut situated just inside the main gates,between where Family stand is now,and pop- side.Great pasties too.
3. Benny Street-the oldest ball- "boy" in the world-blue cotton tack-suit,cloth cap and glasses.(got the balll back into play quicker than the youngsters do now though!
4.The supporter who stood in the old cow-shed with a yellow and blue(was it silk)?, top hat and tails.
5. The overpowering smell coming of linament coming from the players legs(breathing in of which would knock you out!.What do they use these days?
6.Catching the football special bus(es) from Brixham to Plainmoor. 3-4 buses; full to the brim for big matches.
Bit rowdy in the upper-deck-with fair bit of banter between Paignton and Brixhan Gulls' supporters. The driver stopped the bus on several occasions- and would tell us off for banging the windows/swearing/general "exhuberence" and threaten to drive the bus back the station.Never did and we just carried on as before once he set off for Plainmoor again!
frenchgull
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Tommy northcott

Post by frenchgull »

More old memories,at half time we had an old chap who came through the enclosure selling the Hereld Express but always with the same cry "Dead man found in coffin",you could not help but laugh.Also at 6 O'clock a guy went down our street on torre selling the football final with all the write ups of the days games plus league tables and fixtures,can't remember the price but it was pence.How did they do it?.Yes loved the smell of the liniment.
wivelgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by wivelgull »

At half-time the old boy who wandered around the periphery of the pitch selling the 'Herald Express' would always shout 'Snow in Newton Abbot!'
stefano
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Don Mills

Post by stefano »

wivelgull wrote:At half-time the old boy who wandered around the periphery of the pitch selling the 'Herald Express' would always shout 'Snow in Newton Abbot!'
:rofl: Beat me to it Wivel. Was just about to post the same thing!
tomogull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Colin Bettany

Post by tomogull »

stefano wrote: :rofl: Beat me to it Wivel. Was just about to post the same thing!
Yep - 'Snip' Cornish was his name. Dunno where the 'Snip' came from !! :aww: