Saul Halpin

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
BlueYellow
On the Bench
On the Bench

Saul Halpin

Post by BlueYellow »

Come on then, what did you think?

I didnt think he looked out of his depth and is better then a couple of options we already have. Any thoughts on him?
JamieE
First Regular
First Regular

Post by JamieE »

He played ok, but I thought it was a very strange decision to bring him on. It was a real cup-tie, a game with no quality, against a team with tactics to stop players passing and showing their flair. Halpin was never going to be able to perform well and properly influence the game.
brucie
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by brucie »

He did not looked fazed but it was an odd match to bring on such an inexperienced player particularly as we had the jet heeled Hemmings who appeared to be the managers love child about a month ago. Mind you its no stranger than the Macklin situation.
Signed on last year after doing nothing when he was here on loan. Does nothing at all this season and is given an extra years contract. And is now completely frozen out. explain that one?
RussianGull
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero

Post by RussianGull »

Didn't realise he was a left footer!

I liked him, he could have done more, but it was his first appearance for us and in arguably the biggest game of the season, nerves may have prevented him for going in for headers and stuff but he was certainly no worse than Wroe.

Exciting prospect? I don't know. But i'd like to see Buckle doing more of the same around the 65/70minute mark, bringing on fresh legs - with his left foot he might actually be able to bring something to the team rather than sticking oastler on for defence.

An assist or two and I'm sure he could push wroe, or stevens for that matter, for a starting place.
Plymouth Gull

Post by Plymouth Gull »

Very strange decision to bring him on.
gulls_aloud
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Mark Ellis

Post by gulls_aloud »

Illogical, yes. But don't forget page 625 of the Book of Management for Football Managers where Buckle highlighted the bit that says "never underestimate the element of surprise. Bring on a player that is making his first team debut and the opposing Manager will be scuppered because he hasn't done his homework and you will outwit him and thereby with a single masterstroke turn around an ill-tempered game from a heartbreaking defeat to the life-changing fifth round of the FA Cup".... shame the bit about "Going 4-4-2 if you want to score goals and win" is on page 626..

Regarding Saul Halpin, I watched him sign his contract on the pitch and yesterday's big occasion must have been equally thrilling for him. Have seen him play a few times, and genuinely believe he has a big future ahead of him, skillful and not afraid to have a go. Hope we hang onto him..
doogull
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: E. O kane

Post by doogull »

damned if he does and damned if he doen't situation to put something new on the field it's just he could of gone 442 from the start with halpin when is buckle going to understand that 451 is negetive and only positive if you have the correct midfield player of which we don't and the forward should be of a certain size in my opinion (6 ft+) and able to link play it's not benners fault he has been asked to play a role that is not going to fit in with his ability it's a bit like asking a funeral director to organise you wedding it aint gonna be a happy ending!
Yellow4life
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Yellow4life »

I was shocked! Very strange that hemmings didn't get on?

It was a massive game for the club and it was almost like buckle admitted defeat when bringing on an 18 year old debutant. He did OK but looked weak in aerial challenges. It was the hardest game he could of come on at(realistically), I would of expected him to play whenever we may be 3,4-0 up. Finally, he had the confidence to take on a shot that nearly caused trouble.

Where ever Macklins gone, I don't know! I'd expect to see him on Tuesday now what with zebs out.
Fletch
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Lorz

Post by Fletch »

RussianGull wrote:Didn't realise he was a left footer!
He's not. He's right footed but can cross with his left.... (I asked him when I bumped into him down the town a while back)
MidDevon
Skipper
Skipper
Favourite player: Rodney Jack

Post by MidDevon »

Saul as been knocking on the door for a while now, and was non-playing sub several times recently.
He only got a few minutes on the pitch, but still managed to get two shots in.

To be fair to Buckle he seems to have a knack of blooding players when the time is right. Remember the likes of Benyon, were bench warmers initially.

There is something about Saul's positive play that quite excites me, I reckon he will get plenty more 1st team appearances this season as he give us another option when there is a need to turn a match into an attacking game.
BlueYellow
On the Bench
On the Bench

Post by BlueYellow »

i do agree it maybe wasn't the best time to bring him on, but it will be a big step for him and it will be a good confidence boost for him and the rest of the youth as they can see they will get a chance if they put the hard work and effort, Buckle will give you the reward. Saul seems to have worked his arse off, and it has finally paid off, he deserves a run in the squad.