Torquay vs Macclesfield Match Thread

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
happytorq
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Kevin Hill
Watches from: The sofa

Post by happytorq »

beermonster wrote:I always enjoy games against Torquay, usually been very good games with spectacular goals. Maybe excluding last year, the home game was a dull affair and the return at Plainmoor shooting practice for the Gulls and an avoided demolition job.

Heres hoping for a good game this year.
Hey, wasn't it Macclesfield we went 3-0 up after about 20 minutes and still managed to draw 3-3? this would have been 03-ish, at their place.
Images for Avatar Copyright Historical Football Kits and reproduced by kind permission.

Eam non defectum. Ego potest tractare quod. Est spes occidit me.
YellowMurphy
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Brian Saah

Post by YellowMurphy »

Wouldnt start Macklin, purely through lack of experience. Would consider bringing him on at half time for danny though, 2 very similair players, could see Macklin coming on and doing well.
beermonster
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by beermonster »

happytorq wrote: Hey, wasn't it Macclesfield we went 3-0 up after about 20 minutes and still managed to draw 3-3? this would have been 03-ish, at their place.
Yes it was a weird game, that would have been the year you went down and we escaped the impossible after being so far adrift.

I also thinka last minute winner by Dave Morley at Plainmoor over Chistmas if my memory is correct.
beermonster
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by beermonster »

Looking at the maps the harbourside area for going out at night is in Paignton,this right? Been many years since ive been down to Devon... how faraway is it fromTorquay town centre?
united09
On the Bench
On the Bench

Post by united09 »

beermonster wrote:Looking at the maps the harbourside area for going out at night is in Paignton,this right? Been many years since ive been down to Devon... how faraway is it fromTorquay town centre?
The best night out would probably be Torquay harbourside it depends what music your into tho? The main harbour side is around 25 minute walk (down hill ;-) ) from the ground with all the bars and clubs within a 3 minute walk from each other. Most popular would be Mambos or Venue but if you want live music Apple and parrot is good Hope that helped.
beermonster
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by beermonster »

united09 wrote: The best night out would probably be Torquay harbourside it depends what music your into tho? The main harbour side is around 25 minute walk (down hill ;-) ) from the ground with all the bars and clubs within a 3 minute walk from each other. Most popular would be Mambos or Venue but if you want live music Apple and parrot is good Hope that helped.
Nice one fella.
Plymouth Gull

Post by Plymouth Gull »

beermonster wrote: Yes it was a weird game, that would have been the year you went down and we escaped the impossible after being so far adrift.

I also thinka last minute winner by Dave Morley at Plainmoor over Chistmas if my memory is correct.
Not sure if it was Morley who scored, but I remember the game you're on about. Ince was in charge, yeah?

Was that the game when the stewards started fighting our fans, or was that against MK Dons?

Horrible, horrible times. :cry:
beermonster
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by beermonster »

Was it also that season we signed Adam Murray, who was ace for a short while, then suddenly became god awful and he signed for Oxford.

I remember reading an article and he was slating Torquay and saying how pleased he was to sign for us, did make me laugh. Especially as we were both in a major dogfight to stay up.
Fonda
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Super Jason Fowler

Post by Fonda »

beermonster wrote:Looking at the maps the harbourside area for going out at night is in Paignton,this right? Been many years since ive been down to Devon... how faraway is it fromTorquay town centre?
Paignton is a seperate town mate. Stick to Torquay harbourside, there's plenty of watering-holes around there to keep you entertained.
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."
beermonster
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by beermonster »

Fonda wrote: Paignton is a seperate town mate. Stick to Torquay harbourside, there's plenty of watering-holes around there to keep you entertained.
Yes I saw as i looked a little closer :rofl:

If you see any drunk northerners looking a bit vacant and surrounded by puke come and say hi...
Benno
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Martin Rice

Post by Benno »

Another cracking matchday thread Nick, please make all of them this season like this :)

Team i would start for this game:

(presuming ellis is unavailable)

Prediction:

2-0 - Benyon + Zebroski. 1-0 half time.

Another attendance around the same as the accy one, can't see macc bringing too many down.

I'll be there, comon you yellows!
happytorq
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Kevin Hill
Watches from: The sofa

Post by happytorq »

Now you're just showing off!
Images for Avatar Copyright Historical Football Kits and reproduced by kind permission.

Eam non defectum. Ego potest tractare quod. Est spes occidit me.
beermonster
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by beermonster »

Will be suprised if we bring anywhere near 100, maybe 70odd at best.
A J
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: David Graham

Post by A J »

beermonster wrote:Was it also that season we signed Adam Murray, who was ace for a short while, then suddenly became god awful and he signed for Oxford.
He wasnt great for us. His aim seemed to be, pick the ball up in midfield and arch it into the air at strikers under 6 foot! - Although to be fair, our team was so poor that season!

Linking to this, Murray is a 'played for both'. Also try...Martin Gritton, Stephen Reed, Mustapha Carayol, Marcus Richardson, Darren Dunning, Mark Gardiner and Brian Joy
ferrarilover
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: You'll find out ;-)

Post by ferrarilover »

Benno, mate,

Wrong, wrong, wrong, wrong, wrong!

Well, not necessarily wrong to have that opinion, but it's certainly NOT the XI I would start.

I'd have Danny on the bench, his recent performances in the 1st team do not warrant him keeping his starting place. Bring in Macklin who is quicker, srtonger and better in the air but lacks Danny's crossing or decision making. What you lose on the swings, you make on the roundabouts.

Mark Ellis will play, a numbing injection in his foot and he'll be right as rain.

Wroe, what has he got to do to be dropped? Useless, week in, week out. He needs to go in favour of the simply brilliant Eunan O'Kane.

So, we line up 4-3-1-2...

Bevs
Robbo - Ellis - Pickles - Nico
Wayno - Lamby - Macklin
EoK
Zedders Benners

It's got pace (Zedders, Macklin). Good D cover (Wayno gets back, Lamby is a destroyer of Worlds). Movement (fully fit Benners, all over the place). Skill and vision (find me a better picker of a pass than EoK in L2).

With a bench which includes Billy Kee, Kieran Charnock, Danny and Danny Senda, we have good optional all through the side and the option to change things around.

Matt.
J5 said, "ferrarilover is 100% correct"