£300,000 Off The Wage Bill

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
nickbrod
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs
Watches from: Family Stand

£300,000 Off The Wage Bill

Post by nickbrod »

Interesting story on BBC Sport website with CH saying that when the high earners leave in the Summer the Club will wipe up to £300,000 off the wage bill.
On the HE podcast today David Thomas reveals the Club were offered a well known bottom half League 2 player if Torquay picked up half his £1700 weekly pay! Needless-to-say CH turned the deal down.
Just goes to show the problems CH has as Manager at the moment. For me he's doing all he can in the circumstances he finds himself.
I've said all season that outright promotion was never on the cards and neither is relegation. Finishing in the play-offs would be good but outside that I'd settle for a top ten finish.
PlainmoorRoar
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Lee Mansell

Post by PlainmoorRoar »

people didn't believe me when i said how much Tonge et al are on and bleeding this club dry

It's unbelievable, the sooner the end of their contracts come the better!
TUFC FACEBOOK PAGE - https://www.facebook.com/insideplainmoor
TUFC TWITTER PAGE - https://twitter.com/TUFC1899

Torquay United Supporters Trust member - Join the TUST now!
Neal
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Neal »

And I have stated this many times too.

Knill is responsible for these disgusting contracts, HE IS TO BLAME FOR THIS SEASON STILL NOT CH. No manager could have lived with that hanging around their necks.

Unbelievable wages were being paid for players who are just not good enough.

I bet CH cant wait for the season to end and have a clear out, gee he must be counting every one of these contracts down.

Not only are we paying this money, these players are no bloody good, Benyon is at H&Y for christs sake.
TUST MEMBER
Neal
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Neal »

On a slightly different topic but on thread. I don't know the answer but an interesting question.

Who have been the highest every paid players at TUFC over the years. Anyone any ideas, pro-rata for the wages at the time of course
TUST MEMBER
RussianGull
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero

Post by RussianGull »

Neal wrote: Knill is responsible for these disgusting contracts, HE IS TO BLAME FOR THIS SEASON STILL NOT CH. No manager could have lived with that hanging around their necks.
I agree, mostly, to some extent you could say that CH might have been able to motivate those players who haven't performed this season (/ever) but yes you're right Neal, Knill did us over.

When he was here he was supposedly tight with money, can you remember him not signing a player because of a dispute over a hundred quid a week? Can you imagine if he really let loose, blimey!
Behind-the-Gulls
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs

Post by Behind-the-Gulls »

Neal wrote:On a slightly different topic but on thread. I don't know the answer but an interesting question.

Who have been the highest every paid players at TUFC over the years. Anyone any ideas, pro-rata for the wages at the time of course
Justin Fashanu would have been one of them,I think,Chris Waddle possibly? Don't think Neville Southall asked for too much though.
A Realist
First Regular
First Regular
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by A Realist »

Its all very well saying that these wages will be coming off the bill, but next season the parachute payments will decrease so what's the chances that any of the savings will be made available? Imo Hargreaves, or whoever is manager, will be lucky if they get to use even 1/4 of that amount. Then there is the issue of replacing most of these players.
bigleigh
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by bigleigh »

Hayes and Yeading are allegedly paying £250 a week of Benyon's wages. They've been done I think =D
kevgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by kevgull »

Neal wrote:And I have stated this many times too.

Knill is responsible for these disgusting contracts, HE IS TO BLAME FOR THIS SEASON STILL NOT CH. No manager could have lived with that hanging around their necks.

Unbelievable wages were being paid for players who are just not good enough.

I bet CH cant wait for the season to end and have a clear out, gee he must be counting every one of these contracts down.

Not only are we paying this money, these players are no bloody good, Benyon is at H&Y for christs sake.

The board is responsible for these disgusting wages!
Life is like TUFC. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. :goal:
PhilGull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by PhilGull »

I think it's a bit harsh just to blame Knill. A board member, nominally the chairman will have been present during contract talks and will have signed off on the deal.
Granted, Knill wouldn't know a good player if he nutmegged him a hundred times but it's still the one controlling the purse strings who has final say over how much these shit players get paid.
Gary Johnson's Yellow Army! Yellow Army! Yellow Army!

Your trust needs YOU!
TUST number 084
Gullscorer
Legend
Legend

Post by Gullscorer »

PhilGull wrote:I think it's a bit harsh just to blame Knill. A board member, nominally the chairman will have been present during contract talks and will have signed off on the deal.
Granted, Knill wouldn't know a good player if he nutmegged him a hundred times but it's still the one controlling the purse strings who has final say over how much these sh*t players get paid.
Always wondered what that meant, and I'm still no wiser.. :-/
taxilady
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Micky Cave RIP
Watches from: Pop side

Post by taxilady »

'to kick a ball through an opponent's legs', but in the case of Alan Knill I think it's something to do with squirrels........
We'll Be Back ! TTID

TUST share number 066
lucy6lucy
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Chris Myers

Post by lucy6lucy »

The reality is that their wage is normal for an experienced league 2 player, which is where the club was when they signed. Downes, Harding, Pearce , Benyon . If split equally is 75k or about 1.5k a week. However, the big question is why wasn't their a relegation clause in the contract, just like a promotion clause. The wages should have been halved.
The other problem is they know they going, so why would they give a monkeys putting on the shirt and performing well week after week. Personally I rate downes and would like him to stay
Lucy
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Southampton Gull »

kevgull wrote:
The board is responsible for these disgusting wages!
Reading the thread I was going to make exactly the same point. Knill would identify the players he wanted and then the Board or their representative would make the deal including wages.

Knill might have signed some crap players but he wasn't responsible for what they got paid.
Dave

Friend of TorquayFans.com
Sunnysideup
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Manse

Post by Sunnysideup »

lucy6lucy wrote:The reality is that their wage is normal for an experienced league 2 player, which is where the club was when they signed. Downes, Harding, Pearce , Benyon . If split equally is 75k or about 1.5k a week. However, the big question is why wasn't their a relegation clause in the contract, just like a promotion clause. The wages should have been halved.
The other problem is they know they going, so why would they give a monkeys putting on the shirt and performing well week after week. Personally I rate downes and would like him to stay
Just in case you overlooked Tonge, that would drop it to 60k a year assuming they were roughly equal (or less if it includes employers contributions).

Hate to say it, but that is par for the course and certainly not at the top end. One target wanted 2.5k a week to move down here.

As nick points out, a lower level L2 player that we might have been interested in is on 1700 a week (that equates to not far off 90k a year).
Apathy Rules...............it's ok though, nobody's that fussed about it........