Update for the fans on TUFC site

General chat about anything else goes here.
AustrianAndyGull
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Kev Nicholson

Post by AustrianAndyGull »

See banter board
Strangely enough it was Pope Gregory the 9th inviting me for drinks aboard his steam yacht, the saucy sue currently wintering in montego bay with the England cricket team and the Balanese Goddess of plenty.
ROADRUNNER
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: clint boulton

Post by ROADRUNNER »

Im sorry but there is some f---king tosh being posted on here, who give a toss if ch speaks after a game or not, if he keeps them up or if he gets them out of the conference in his first season I see some people eating humble pie, im sorry but give the guy a break, its like a f--king witch hunt. :@
AustrianAndyGull
Legend
Legend

No it's not. Just like Ling and Knill it is peoples opinions based on valid evidence. If both Ling and Knill had done their jobs to a satisfactory standard (Ling possibly excused in light of his illness) then they would still be here and in a job. Therefore fans voicing their concerns were right to do so. If CH doesn't do the job to a satisfactory standard then he too will be the target of displeasure and if he continues then he will get the sack. It's fair enough and not a witch hunt. It's how it is. These managers do however have the opportunity of going about their duties on a relatively low expectation basis and accomplishing mediocrity and then they will still be in a job. I don't see how there is witch hunt going on with any of our last 3 managers.
Strangely enough it was Pope Gregory the 9th inviting me for drinks aboard his steam yacht, the saucy sue currently wintering in montego bay with the England cricket team and the Balanese Goddess of plenty.
ROADRUNNER
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by ROADRUNNER »

To be fair andy he is already getting the displeasure of a lot on here, ive supported this club for 50 years and have seen plenty of shit and shit managers, but the damage was done beforexhe got here, I dont like this anymore than you, but he has not been given a chance, he has the bulk of the squad that knill built and he must be allowed to build in the summer then judged, as for martin ling he is a lovely bloke and I wished he hadnt got depression as im sure he would have still been here, there are plenty on here who didnt want him back and now all of a sudden some are changing ther tune, as I said judge ch onnext season.
AustrianAndyGull
Legend
Legend

I completely understand RR and it is a reasonable and fair to not to judge CH totally on his experience with us. I do accept that but by the same token it can be said that he has (as it stands) not delivered the bare minimum that was expected when he took the job and that wasn't a great deal. I think many fans would already have accepted relegation before he took over but it's more the manner of the performances and decisions that by and large haven't been good enough even allowing for his inexperience. That is why some are seriously concerned going into next season and i personally just don't think it is worth the risk and i want to avoid the situation that may arise 2 months into the season if it all goes wrong and CH is getting it from all angles.

Like you say though we won't know until he gets his own players and takes us into next season and then we can fairly judge him. I'm not saying he won't turn out to be a good manager in the future but i just feel that doing what we did with Knill and giving him the job by default based on nothing may come back to bite us on the arse. This time it won't be a wasp but a shark.

It's fear i guess, fear of another disastrous season with more awful football and i would just rather not take that risk. Anyway, he still owes me a pint!!!!
ROADRUNNER
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by ROADRUNNER »

Well andy I suppose we will have to wait and see, I hope he can deliver, I just would like to see himsort things out with his own team set up, at the end of the day we all want the same thing but you know its never an easy ride supporting this lot but I will always give whoever is in charge a chance, unfortunately these days football isnt the same as was in the 70s and 80s when managers were given a bit more time to grt some stability, sign of the times I suppose mate. :-D
SuperNickyWroe
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Andy Provan
Watches from: The sofa

Post by SuperNickyWroe »

AustrianAndyGull wrote:I completely understand RR and it is a reasonable and fair to not to judge CH totally on his experience with us. I do accept that but by the same token it can be said that he has (as it stands) not delivered the bare minimum that was expected when he took the job and that wasn't a great deal. I think many fans would already have accepted relegation before he took over but it's more the manner of the performances and decisions that by and large haven't been good enough even allowing for his inexperience. That is why some are seriously concerned going into next season and i personally just don't think it is worth the risk and i want to avoid the situation that may arise 2 months into the season if it all goes wrong and CH is getting it from all angles.

Like you say though we won't know until he gets his own players and takes us into next season and then we can fairly judge him. I'm not saying he won't turn out to be a good manager in the future but i just feel that doing what we did with Knill and giving him the job by default based on nothing may come back to bite us on the arse. This time it won't be a wasp but a shark.

It's fear i guess, fear of another disastrous season with more awful football and i would just rather not take that risk. Anyway, he still owes me a pint!!!!
without being harsh RR, CH has been a disaster. we are in a worse position now to when we sacked knill and he was appointed.

and, im sure that you would agree that he leaves a lot to be desired regarding team selection,tactics and signings.

i for one never wanted him as manager, and i said we would be relegated with him in charge.

one of many worrying factors was the fact when he was announced as manager, he was said to be the best candidate.

i must say that when i heard that,the alarm bells were ringing loud and clear.

you may like him RR, but for me he was and still is - the wrong choice as manager - no matter what division we are in.
Member of the Yorkshire Gulls Supporters Club - Proud Sponsors of Aaron Jarvis 2023-2024
We now drive South to all the games!

TUST Member 468

AustrianAndyGull
Legend
Legend

Bloody hell! Super has turned into Brucie!! :na: :lol:
hector
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: jim mcnichol

Post by hector »

SuperNickyWroe wrote: without being harsh RR, CH has been a disaster. we are in a worse position now to when we sacked knill and he was appointed.

and, im sure that you would agree that he leaves a lot to be desired regarding team selection,tactics and signings.

i for one never wanted him as manager, and i said we would be relegated with him in charge.

one of many worrying factors was the fact when he was announced as manager, he was said to be the best candidate.

you may like him RR, but for me he was and still is - the wrong choice as manager - no matter what division we are in.
The thing is that he has won more matches in less games than Knill. Hardly an endorsement but as seasons go on, gaps between better and poorer teams get wider. With the even lesser win ratio of Knill, there is a good chance we would have been even further behind.
Gloomy Gull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Watches from: Pop side

Post by Gloomy Gull »

without being harsh RR, CH has been a disaster. we are in a worse position now to when we sacked knill and he was appointed.

:goodpost:

Absolutely sums up the situation.

As I have posted previously ...No-one forced him into taking the job - he CHOSE to apply. It is too easy to look to absolve him of all responsibility for the poor performances- unless he put himself forward as the man who would ensure our relegation- , he MUST take responsibility for not being able to galvanise a team of footballers to perform. If he had not taken the time to investigate the quality/ability of the players he would inherit and is now trying to say that we "need a goalscorer" ....then I do fear for his judgement in choosing his "own team" .
Scott Brehaut
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin
Favourite player: Lee Mansell

Post by Scott Brehaut »

What if he was fully aware that we needed a goal scorer, had made numerous enquiries but each one had either failed due to where we are (location and position in league), or because we had no money to pay the wages of the loanee?

What if he had tried to get rid of some players but then was forced to play them due to the actions of others?

What if he had been told there were funds available when he took the job, then had that promise removed when he signed on the dotted line?

STIP
Friend of torquayfans.com
Forest gull
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero
Favourite player: Steve Cooper
Watches from: Pop side

Post by Forest gull »

Gloomy Gull wrote:without being harsh RR, CH has been a disaster. we are in a worse position now to when we sacked knill and he was appointed.

one of many worrying factors was the fact when he was announced as manager, he was said to be the best candidate.i must say that when i heard that,the alarm bells were ringing loud and clear.

Absolutely sums up the situation.

As I have posted previously ...No-one forced him into taking the job - he CHOSE to apply. It is too easy to look to absolve him of all responsibility for the poor performances- unless he put himself forward as the man who would ensure our relegation- , he MUST take responsibility for not being able to galvanise a team of footballers to perform. If he had not taken the time to investigate the quality/ability of the players he would inherit and is now trying to say that we "need a goalscorer" ....then I do fear for his judgement in choosing his "own team" .

If he was the 'best candidate' then it was a good appointment AT THE TIME.
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

Yes indeed Hector, but CH has lost a lot more games in less time.
Formerly known as forevertufc
Oil Beef Hooked
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Chris Hargreaves
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by Oil Beef Hooked »

Scott Brehaut wrote:What if he was fully aware that we needed a goal scorer, had made numerous enquiries but each one had either failed due to where we are (location and position in league), or because we had no money to pay the wages of the loanee?

What if he had tried to get rid of some players but then was forced to play them due to the actions of others?

What if he had been told there were funds available when he took the job, then had that promise removed when he signed on the dotted line?
Steve

:scarf: YELLOW ARMY :scarf:
AustrianAndyGull
Legend
Legend

If he struggled to get in a goalscorer and failed then he should have gone with youth rather than playing players who cannot score. Not ideal but a risk and the only other viable option.

If he failed to get rid of some players then he wasn't forced to play them - he could have given youth a chance.

If he signed and promises were reneged upon then he should either seek legal advice, inform everyone publicly that this has happened and despite it he is determined to see it through or cut his losses and leave despite it being no fault of his own.