Contract renewals and extensions

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
gullno4
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Rene

Post by gullno4 »

why would any of those 4 want to play conference football next year when they have already proved themselves in the league?
The gulls are going up
Scott Brehaut
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin
Favourite player: Lee Mansell

Post by Scott Brehaut »

Hopefully CH will be asking all of the above if they would like to stay, then asking their parent clubs if we can have them next season.

Then he needs to speak to Pearce, tell him that he is one of our most important players next season (if not the most important), ask him to stay and tell him he'll be made captain if he does so.

Next, he ends to speak to Yeoman, tell him that he's had an excellent attitude whilst waiting for his chance, that he's been impressed when he's been given that chance and that he'd like him to help get us back up first time - that he's guaranteed first team football (unless form drops etc) and give him a suitable contract.

After that, well, it's up to him - but hopefully doing the above will give us a decent looking start to rebuilding the team.

STIP
Friend of torquayfans.com
PlainmoorRoar
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by PlainmoorRoar »

Scott Brehaut wrote:Hopefully CH will be asking all of the above if they would like to stay, then asking their parent clubs if we can have them next season.

Then he needs to speak to Pearce, tell him that he is one of our most important players next season (if not the most important), ask him to stay and tell him he'll be made captain if he does so.

Next, he ends to speak to Yeoman, tell him that he's had an excellent attitude whilst waiting for his chance, that he's been impressed when he's been given that chance and that he'd like him to help get us back up first time - that he's guaranteed first team football (unless form drops etc) and give him a suitable contract.

After that, well, it's up to him - but hopefully doing the above will give us a decent looking start to rebuilding the team.
:goodpost:

Pearce knowing he will have a full season of 1st choice CB as captain might be enough to stay at least a year!
TUFC FACEBOOK PAGE - https://www.facebook.com/insideplainmoor
TUFC TWITTER PAGE - https://twitter.com/TUFC1899

Torquay United Supporters Trust member - Join the TUST now!
Richinns
Country Captain
Country Captain
Favourite player: Kevin Kalala

Post by Richinns »

I have a feeling Manse will still be our captain next year.
TUST member 328
Your club needs you. Join the TUST now - http://www.torquaysupporters.co.uk/
Scott Brehaut
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Scott Brehaut »

Richinns wrote:I have a feeling Manse will still be our captain next year.
If a certain idiot hadn't decided to go all Mike Tyson on us and have a munch halfway through a match, Manse wouldn't have been captain for the rest of THIS season, let alone next.

STIP
brucie
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by brucie »

I think Mansell will get a new contract next year. He is still better than the likes of Harding,Lathrope. Clearly Hargreaves cannot get rid of every player going - where on earth would he get a whole new team from.
I think the clue as to who he might keep is to who he has been playing and who he hasn't.
I am not sure of every player under contract, but would have a guess it might be something like this

Rice - deserves another contract but maybe not as first choice in a side aiming for promotion - keep

Poke - injury prone - release

Tongue - Been poor but has been played by Hargreaves quite a bit. With another year on his contract I reckon he might stay - keep

Pearce - too good for the conference but under contract to us - keep

Cooper - ridiculous - release

Cruise - too airy fairy - release

Nicholson - release

Downes - Left out by the manager - release

Lathrope - a midfielder who will never score a goal as long as his arse points downwards. In and out under Hargreaves - not convinced the manager will keep him - release

Mansell - can see him still being here - keep

Stevens - release surely

Benyon - big disappointment for me this year but still think he could cut it at conference level - keep

Hawley - still under contract but a serious leg-end. Find a way to pay him off - a big release from me.

Yeoman - keep

Thompson - pace to burn still worth another chance for me - keep

Harding - not convinced - release

Chappell - Obviously not rated by the manager - release

Bodin - out of contract and out of here. He has talent but is an enigma. I have resisted the urge to jump on the Bodin Bashing band wagon but really the half an hour against Dagenham before he fell down injured was one of the biggest disgraces I have seen in 55 years in watching Torquay. A bloody ludicrous hairstyle and a no show in a game we had to win.
A league team may take a punt on him - if they do they will probably have done their money.

Cameron - late starter but Hargreaves - rates him - keep.

I have probably missed a few but hey ho.

Of the loanees the notion that we have any hope of retaining O'Connor next season is just daft.

Ditto Coulquist.

I wouldn't be too suprised to see Goodwin back on a permanent contract though and Cargill could get a season long loan at this level.

I would expect Stockley's time to be up at Bournmouth
Scott Brehaut
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Scott Brehaut »

I think Pearce is out of contract this season.

I'm not sure that Manse will be here - I was told he wasn't going to be offered another contract, but I guess it depends on whom we have to replace him.
Harding under contract for another season. Lathrope will, I'd imagine, be cheaper to keep than Manse. I'd imagine CH will want to keep him and use the wages he saves on Manse, Bodin, Nico and others, to get other, cheaper, players in.

STIP
supergulls
Skipper
Skipper
Favourite player: Aaron Downes

Post by supergulls »

Pearce still has another year left on his contract Scott.
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

Yep, but he's also the one saleable playing asset we have, can't see him being here next term, can you Super.G
Formerly known as forevertufc
supergulls
Skipper
Skipper
Favourite player: Aaron Downes

Post by supergulls »

It's a difficult one, do you sell your best asset and reduce your chance of coming straight back up or do you cash in clear some money off the debt and hope you pick up another diamond on a free. Chris has some big desisions to make in the upcoming weeks.
Last edited by supergulls on 28 Apr 2014, 20:50, edited 1 time in total.
Jeff
Plays for Country
Plays for Country

Post by Jeff »

Of course, referring to Pearce as a saleable asset assumes that he doesn't have a relegation release clause, and there is a buyer for him.

I know he's been our best player this season, but in the last two years he's helped both ourselves and Barnet down to the conference. It's not a glowing CV, and perhaps it would be better sticking around to (hopefully!) captain a side to conference success!
Rjc70
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Tom Lapslie

Post by Rjc70 »

Yin and Yang.
We won't keep Pearce.
Mansell and Nicholson will both be released.
Jeff
Plays for Country
Plays for Country

Post by Jeff »

On a different note, what sort of player might we bring in? Forest Green have released some regulars:

http://m.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/27197854

Forest Green rejects I hear you cry?! Some of those names (Hodgkiss, Asafu-adaje, Styche) are regular, top half conference performers. If these were the sort of names we went for, it would suggest to me that we are building a solid mid-table side - which wouldn't be a bad starting point.
Scott Brehaut
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Scott Brehaut »

If he has a relegation release clause then somebody has to front up the cash. If they do, that's money for Chris to spend on players (well, some of it).
If nobody offers the money, surely we save a wedge from releasing the likes of Manse and Kev, plus Billy will be off (another wedge), Downes will be on a decent wage, as well as Poke?
I'm guessing Rice is on a LOT less than Poke and he's been, arguably, our POTS.

STIP
tommyg
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Rodney Jack

Post by tommyg »

I actually hope Mansell stays and will be surprised if he's not offered a new deal given he's been an ever-present in our team when fit. Say what you like about him but our last three managers have always picked him despite other options in midfield. Hargreaves probably sees a bit of himself in him and we'll need his experience and leadership qualities next season, especially as we're likely to blood more youngsters. I've been impressed with his last few performances, although obviously he's had a disappointing season overall. I'd imagine a few Football League teams and just about every Conference club would be keen on his services should he be available on a free.