Danny Stevens to return?

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
Richinns
Country Captain
Country Captain
Favourite player: Kevin Kalala

Danny Stevens to return?

Post by Richinns »

Thought he was just training with but Jesus seems to be considering more than this:

http://www.torquayheraldexpress.co.uk/D ... story.html
TUST member 328
Your club needs you. Join the TUST now - http://www.torquaysupporters.co.uk/
TeenageGull
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: Chris Zebroski

Post by TeenageGull »

A news article with no sources just pure speculation, seems right
nickfrench82
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: Ummmmmm

Post by nickfrench82 »

He better bloody not be returning. We've just spent a chunk of money in getting Mozika to match fitness, we can ill afford to spend more on DS, who hasn't played since last season.

Big waste of time
Gullscorer
Legend
Legend

Post by Gullscorer »

Danny was never given a real chance to shine under Ling and Knill, and probably felt he was swimming against the tide, which would have done nothing for his confidence and motivation. But, in the right set-up with the right manager, he's far from being the worst player at this level. If Chris Hargreaves is looking for back-up to increase his options in certain areas and is able to get the best out of Danny there's no reason why he should not be given a chance. If it doesn't work out for him, at least he will have had that chance. On the other hand, it might prove to be an inexpensive stroke of genius by Hargreaves. After all, this new manager of ours could well turn out to be something of a miracle worker...
Last edited by Gullscorer on 14 Jan 2014, 18:01, edited 1 time in total.
TeenageGull
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: Chris Zebroski

Post by TeenageGull »

Gullscorer wrote:Danny was never given a real chance to shine under Ling and Knill, and probably felt he was swimming against the tide, which would have done nothing for his confidence and motivation. But, in the right set-up with the right manager, he's far from being the worst player at this level. If Chris Hargreaves is looking for back-up to increase his options in certain areas and is able to get the best out of Danny there's no reason why he should not be given a chance. If it doesn't work out for him, at least he will have had that chance. On the other hand, it could turn out to be an inexpensive stroke of genius by Hargreaves. After all, this new manager of ours could well turn out to be something of a miracle worker...
Im going to have to agree on that with you, but if he does sign, any past grudges from people will have to go, in Hargreaves we trust
Gulliball
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin
Favourite player: Kevin Hill

Post by Gulliball »

We already have Chapell, Bodin, Cameron, Thompson and Sullivan under contract in his position, and didn't start any of them on Saturday. It would be a huge backward step and waste of resources to get him back.
www.torquayfanstats.com
Twitter: @torquayfanstats
Gullscorer
Legend
Legend

Post by Gullscorer »

Could all be mere speculation of course. But if it turns out to be true, then the manager must have his reasons, and will probably know something the rest of us don't know. Time will tell..
brucie
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by brucie »

Gullscorer - what on earth could the manager know about Stevens that noone else knows. Its got nothing to do with previous managers not giving him chance to shine, have a word with yourself.
Stevens was at his best coming on as a sub against Conference defences who were out on their arses having been run ragged by the likes of Zebroski.
He was absolutely dire last season - if you think he is league standard then you are in denial. We have twenty games left to save ourselves and we are going to sign a player who hasn't played for anyone all season, and isn't a league standard player when fully fit.
AustrianAndyGull
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Kev Nicholson

Post by AustrianAndyGull »

Gulliball wrote:We already have Chapell, Bodin, Cameron, Thompson and Sullivan under contract in his position, and didn't start any of them on Saturday. It would be a huge backward step and waste of resources to get him back.
I'm not Danny's biggest fan but he is more consistent than Bodin and scores more goals, better than Cameron and if Thompson and Sullivan are not going to get a look in then I don't see why not. Personally I wouldn't be doing cartwheels to have him back but as a back up to Chappell and higher in the pecking order than all the others above then I guess it could work. Could all be pie in the sky speculation too though.
Strangely enough it was Pope Gregory the 9th inviting me for drinks aboard his steam yacht, the saucy sue currently wintering in montego bay with the England cricket team and the Balanese Goddess of plenty.
Plymouth Gull

Post by Plymouth Gull »

AustrianAntheaGull wrote: I'm not Danny's biggest fan but he is more consistent than Bodin and scores more goals, better than Cameron and if Thompson and Sullivan are not going to get a look in then I don't see why not. Personally I wouldn't be doing cartwheels to have him back but as a back up to Chappell and higher in the pecking order than all the others above then I guess it could work. Could all be pie in the sky speculation too though.
Absolute nonsense. Bodin is streets ahead.
AustrianAndyGull
Legend
Legend

Ok then, it's nonsense. Bodin is better than Stevens.
Strangely enough it was Pope Gregory the 9th inviting me for drinks aboard his steam yacht, the saucy sue currently wintering in montego bay with the England cricket team and the Balanese Goddess of plenty.
AustrianAndyGull
Legend
Legend

Why couldn't you just have put, 'I disagree Andy, .......................'. Why do you have to phrase things in a way that is likely to be confrontational?
DevonYellow
Skipper
Skipper
Favourite player: Jean Pierre-Simb

Post by DevonYellow »

AustrianAntheaGull wrote: I'm not Danny's biggest fan but he is more consistent than Bodin and scores more goals, better than Cameron and if Thompson and Sullivan are not going to get a look in then I don't see why not. Personally I wouldn't be doing cartwheels to have him back but as a back up to Chappell and higher in the pecking order than all the others above then I guess it could work. Could all be pie in the sky speculation too though.
Better than Bodin? I hope you're not being serious here Andy! There is a reason Danny hasn't had an offer from a football league club...he just isn't good enough.

Bodin has been one of our better players this season, but we've been here before!!!
AustrianAndyGull
Legend
Legend

Anyway if your superior knowledge will allow me to try and explain what is simply my opinion. Stevens scores more than Bodin which is a statistical fact and Stevens might be superb for half an hour each game before predictably fading. Bodin has played well these past few weeks but why let that get in the way of a season and a half of appalling inconsistency?

Stevens is NOT a better player than Bodin but will give us more of a return. Perhaps that is what I should have written.

And just for those with blinkers on, this is not a Bodin dig it is simply me comparing him to Stevens.
HRG
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by HRG »

Personally, I always liked him as a quick, nippy option for the last 20-30mins of the game. He might be worth a punt until the end of the season, he has something to prove, to himself at least if no one else.

That and he's ickle. :~D