Loan/Freebie Wishlist

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
PhilGull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Loan/Freebie Wishlist

Post by PhilGull »

Given the apparent funds being made available by the board for One Knill to make some loan signings who/what do you want to see come in?

Given our current state I don't think we need to go crazy, it would be different if we were making a final push at the other end of the table but I think we definitely need one player, possibly four.

I think we definately need a left winger, someone to provide competition for BillBo. As it is all out other options are very right footed or central midfielders.
If One Knill can't get Nicho fired up then I would like to see a left-back come in.
It would be nice to see a proper backup for Howe, someone who can sit on the bench and be brought on late in the game before Renée picks up his inevitable yellow card!
Also, although we have three 'defensive' midfielders I'm not convinced by any of them at the moment and maybe an old fashioned destroyer, some one in the mould of the medieval torture device Lee Cattermole who can sit in front of the back four and allow Craig or Morris and the wingers to get forward would be a good addition.

As for who, I really don't know! Hopefully with One Knill's contacts at ManU and The Blue Scouse and with teams like Newcastle and QPR bringing in a lot of players in January we will be able to find a couple of gems.
Gary Johnson's Yellow Army! Yellow Army! Yellow Army!

Your trust needs YOU!
TUST number 084
MidDevon
Skipper
Skipper
Favourite player: Rodney Jack

Post by MidDevon »

I do not believe any of us can have a wish list unless we know the characters of those potentially coming in. I have always believed that whilst some players are suitable for loaning in others clearly are not.....and it is not just about ability

Who can forget that arrogant Ashley Barnes, who came to us for half a dozen games, thought Torquay were too small a club for him, did not make a real effort, upset the applecart and ended up....at Brighton scoring for fun!

On the other hand, Jake Robinson, with a previous (and post!) alledged reputation for upsetting dressing rooms up and down the country came to us and made a big difference on the pitch and then of course there was Guy Branston who made a remarkable difference to a very poor defence

To me we need strengthening in all positions except goalkeeper, central defenders (please not another one!) and centre forward (as Jarvis can clearly cover Howe when suspended)......and above all we need a leader on the pitch, someone who is going to steamroll Mansell and get the team going.

I am sure managers, like our new man, who have a reputation for bringing in quality loan players look as much at attitude as anything else......he will already have names in his head and so keen will he be to bring those players in, I am not sure any of our current team can consider themselves safe.

It is always interteresting to see the team dynamics when loanees come in, clearly 2 or 3 of our players will be dropped and that is quite serious personally for them at the tail end of a season when you are playing for a team near the bottom of the 4th division. But sacrifices can and will have to be made.
cambgull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: All Of Them

Post by cambgull »

I don't actually think we need that much. I'd like to see a new left back brought in and the rest I'd like to just see some decent cover/first team competitors for the others, more as a boot up the backside.

Easton and Craig seemed like a decent combination but I'd like to see another slightly creative midfielder to rival Craig. I'm not sure on a rival for Bodin, we already have Stevens and I fear that a player who is starting to play better would have his confidence shot to pieces by a rival coming in.

Other than that, a target man striker to deputise Howe.

I think our first team has more than enough ability to stay up, it's the tactics that has lost us games.
Luke.

"Successful applicants need not apply"
PhilGull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by PhilGull »

I think a fit Morris is ample competition for Craig in the middle.
I would like to see us in a position where we don't bring in anyone. I like to think that on his first day Knill walked in to training and gave a rousing Churchillian speech after which Nicho, Manse and the others leapt to their feet, roared out a primeval scream started beating their chests while shouting "THIS IS TORQUAY" (a la "this is sparta" from 300) and then they run out on Saturday and absolutely destroy Vale!
Gary Johnson's Yellow Army! Yellow Army! Yellow Army!

Your trust needs YOU!
TUST number 084
cambgull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: All Of Them

Post by cambgull »

I wouldn't want to see him bring anyone in before our first game. He needs to watch his team in action under his style of play before deciding who isn't going to work.
Luke.

"Successful applicants need not apply"
SteveDeckchair
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero
Favourite player: Sir Alex Russell
Watches from: Pop side

Post by SteveDeckchair »

Agreed. He saw them play on Tuesday apparently, so I am sure he'll want to see what they can do first. You can get an idea of skill levels on the training ground, but that doesn't always translate to application on the field on a Saturday.

A few tweaks here or there and we'll be right. It's the style and tactics, not so much the personel.
Mmmmmm, beeeeeeeer.
SuperNickyWroe
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Andy Provan
Watches from: The sofa

Post by SuperNickyWroe »

PhilGull wrote:I think a fit Morris is ample competition for Craig in the middle.
I would like to see us in a position where we don't bring in anyone. I like to think that on his first day Knill walked in to training and gave a rousing Churchillian speech after which Nicho, Manse and the others leapt to their feet, roared out a primeval scream started beating their chests while shouting "THIS IS TORQUAY" (a la "this is sparta" from 300) and then they run out on Saturday and absolutely destroy Vale!
keep taking the tablets phil and leave the booze alone! :rofl:
Member of the Yorkshire Gulls Supporters Club - Proud Sponsors of Aaron Jarvis 2023-2024
We now drive South to all the games!

TUST Member 468

tomogull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Colin Bettany

Post by tomogull »

Agree with posts on here that say we don't need to bring in lots of loan signings but sorry, MidDevon, cannot agree that Ryan Jarvis is a suitable replacement for Rene Howe if he is suspended/injured. When did Jarvis last score, or even threaten to score? An experienced striker would be good but I suspect there aren't many free scoring strikers available for loan! As for the left back position, I'd like to see Tom Cruise given a game or two, but not sure Saturday's game against the Vale is the game to play him. He was well regarded at Arsenal before he picked up that dreadful injury. What the team needs is a bit of belief and confidence to be restored - we know what the players are capable of.
MidDevon
Skipper
Skipper
Favourite player: Rodney Jack

Post by MidDevon »

Fair enough, I can see why many do not rate Jarvis, but a while ago I mentioned that Jarvis had probably scored more goals versus minutes on pitch than Howe this season, and after a long thread I seem to remember that was correct!
wivelgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: ROBIN STUBBS

Post by wivelgull »

I suspect that we would not be in this position if we had brought in some loan signings. Penny-pinching and caution have cost us dear.
stevegull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Tony Bedeau

Post by stevegull »

I would say it's fairly obvious that we need a creator, not a striker. Someone who can give us the openings to slice open and give Rene something to feed on. Most teams near us in the table would kill to have Howe in there team but we are struggling to even give him the ball recently.
Maybe one day, Carayol will find London...
hector
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: jim mcnichol

Post by hector »

I suspect it may be that any players who come in are ones that have links to Rotherham, Bury or Scunthorpe. If Alan Knill is to be here for a fairly short time, initially at least, then I suppose he he is going to be signing players he knows as he has not got the time to take risks. I don't think too many of his signings worked out at Scunthorpe, so it may be from that direction.
PlainmoorRoar
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Lee Mansell

Post by PlainmoorRoar »

http://www.torquayunited.com/news/artic ... 70764.aspx

Positive words regarding loan signings after Saturday,

from the few words we've had from Knill he sounds very professional and up for the challenge
TUFC FACEBOOK PAGE - https://www.facebook.com/insideplainmoor
TUFC TWITTER PAGE - https://twitter.com/TUFC1899

Torquay United Supporters Trust member - Join the TUST now!
CP Gull

Post by CP Gull »

I see that the Herald confirms that the game that Knill and Taylor were scouting at was the Bristol City U21 v Charlton U21 development game on Monday.

So, by due process of elimination, based on the likelihood any target is more likely to be from the Bristol City team than the Charlton one, based purely on locality, and the fact that our most immediate target is a centre half to cover for Aaron Downes, I'm going to take a punt on us looking at James Wilson.

Wilson has actually just turned 24 (was playing as one of three permitted "over age" players) and has been with City a number of years and has been quite highly rated in the past. He has represented Wales at U21 (should go down well with our "Welsh" Manager then!) level in the past and has featured in half a dozen league games in the Championship this season. He is, I believe, out of contract in the summer and could well be due to be released and so a spell in the "shop window" might suit him. Bristol City have just recently brought in another centre half on loan and so they might be agreeable to loaning him out.

Just a guess and even if I'm right, it may still not happen ... but would be a decent addition if it is indeed him.
Last edited by CP Gull on 28 Feb 2013, 13:35, edited 2 times in total.
Chris B
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Eunan O'Kane

Post by Chris B »

Interesting suggestion, CP. If James Wilson is one of our targets, it's promising he's played Championship football this season, and at 24 he's at a reasonable age. The fact he conceded a penalty in a 0-3 defeat - the third for them in a row - and is at a club struggling for results is less ideal. I'm happy to trust the opinion of Alex Russell, if he thinks Wilson or any of his other players is capable of helping our cause.

I hope I'm wrong, but as the wait goes on for a signing, I fear Knill may have underestimated the difference between a northern Premier League club's willingness send loanees to Bury and to Torquay. This explanation would at least go along with our overall short-sighted approach.

Just a thought - has anyone called Neil Warnock yet?!