Jo Kuffour on a free?

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
rodneyjackjackjack
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Danny Stevens

Jo Kuffour on a free?

Post by rodneyjackjackjack »

I recently read Jo Kuffour has been released on a free from Gillingham.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/18144358" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Now I think he would be a perfect partner alongside Howe. I know hes a London boy and I think he wants to stay there but surely worth an offer?
northyorkshiregull
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: benyon

Post by northyorkshiregull »

on tonights showing we could do with him.
blueboy
On the Bench
On the Bench

Post by blueboy »

Was in talks with orient
ferrarilover
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: You'll find out ;-)

Post by ferrarilover »

Yes please, all day long, absolute quality.

NorthYorks, pull yourself together!

Matt.
J5 said, "ferrarilover is 100% correct"
stevegull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Tony Bedeau

Post by stevegull »

Kuffour is a cut above us, even if he thinks he's about 4 cuts above us
Maybe one day, Carayol will find London...
rodneyjackjackjack
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Just cant believe we havent got another striker. A guy with some pace who can cause some problems up there and pick up the pieces from Howe.
stevegull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by stevegull »

rodneyjackjackjack wrote:Just cant believe we havent got another striker. A guy with some pace who can cause some problems up there and pick up the pieces from Howe.
It might show us how highly Ling rates some of these youngsters. He's already started name-dropping Yeoman in interviews and him bringing Thompson on for a good half hour against Leicester shows he rates him highly as well. I think his plan will be to dip into the loan market if required.
rodneyjackjackjack
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Stevegull, I am talking about SERIOUS competition for our strikers. No disrespect but I dont think Yeoman is quite ready for that.

Surely we want it so that if anyone puts in a bad/medioka performance we have other players that can can come in and fill their boots. Without that sense of competitiveness its all too easy to become lazy and complacent.
stevegull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by stevegull »

rodneyjackjackjack wrote:Stevegull, I am talking about SERIOUS competition for our strikers. No disrespect but I dont think Yeoman is quite ready for that.

Surely we want it so that if anyone puts in a bad/medioka performance we have other players that can can come in and fill their boots. Without that sense of competitiveness its all too easy to become lazy and complacent.
I completely understand your point and to be honest I kind of agree. However, Jarvis played most of his career as a central striker and I'm sure will be pushing for a place. Also, going by Ling's 'two players for every position' rule then I think his argument will be that he has got it covered.

However I do think most fans want to see a little speed demon who can poach goals or get in behind the defence, like another Benyon I guess. I just guess that type of striker wouldn't fit into our starting system.
GazTheGull
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: ...

Post by GazTheGull »

Shame Izale McLeod seems like he's off to Portsmouth, when and if they get an owner, my Dad's always reckoned he'd be a great partner for Howe.

In concerns to Jarvis, is he not covering two positions at the moment because he would presumably, in Ling's eyes anyway, be ahead of Macklin for the right wing slot aswell as being the cover for central striker?
northyorkshiregull
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: benyon

Post by northyorkshiregull »

ferrarilover your right I do need to pull myself together for thinking we need another forward....but you agree we need another forward!
ferrarilover
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: You'll find out ;-)

Post by ferrarilover »

You're basing that, so says your post above, on a match against a team two divisions above us, featuring ex England international's and blokes earning more in a year than the Board paid for our entire club. That's to say nothing of us missing players and having to use threatening options somewhat out of position.

Thinking we need another striker is fine. Thinking we need another striker because we drew a blank against Leicester City in the first competitive game of the season, is madness.

Matt.
J5 said, "ferrarilover is 100% correct"
Richinns
Country Captain
Country Captain
Favourite player: Kevin Kalala

Post by Richinns »

ferrarilover wrote:You're basing that, so says your post above, on a match against a team two divisions above us, featuring ex England international's and blokes earning more in a year than the Board paid for our entire club. That's to say nothing of us missing players and having to use threatening options somewhat out of position.

Thinking we need another striker is fine. Thinking we need another striker because we drew a blank against Leicester City in the first competitive game of the season, is madness.

Matt.
Agree

Ling has said he does not see Jarvis as on the wing in the 4-4-3 so he is probably the back-up for Rene as things stand. I have said (and many others) that another striker is needed but this has not come from last nights defeat. Think Ling will use the Loan option if he feels this is becoming a real issue.
TUST member 328
Your club needs you. Join the TUST now - http://www.torquaysupporters.co.uk/
bengull
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Kevin Nicholson

Post by bengull »

Lingy does not seem like he is going to stray from the 433 throughout the season, so as long as Rene maintains a clean bill of health and a clean slate of discipline it does not look like a position that needs strengthening, unless Jarvis and/or Bodin prove to be less than reliable back up in that department. Pace up front is not what we need, pace down the wings is.
Richinns
Country Captain
Country Captain
Favourite player: Kevin Kalala

Post by Richinns »

bengull wrote:Lingy does not seem like he is going to stray from the 433 throughout the season, so as long as Rene maintains a clean bill of health and a clean slate of discipline it does not look like a position that needs strengthening, unless Jarvis and/or Bodin prove to be less than reliable back up in that department. Pace up front is not what we need, pace down the wings is.
Bodin, Stevens, Macklin and Thompson. Not sure we need to add pace to these options?
TUST member 328
Your club needs you. Join the TUST now - http://www.torquaysupporters.co.uk/