PSF: Torquay United v Leeds United, 27/07/12

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
Colorado Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Colorado Gull »

Another quick mention on Stevens last night, he had a pretty good game when he linked up with players and made a terrific effort on goal 25 yards out that went just over the bar. However at times he was pushed off the ball easily due to his height and strength, but as we were playing a championship side, it was more understandable. When Danny used his pace and ran down the wing he looked more dangerous and I say that every time I watch Danny play.

Going back to what Rich asked, it was Morris who played in the free role position in the middle and I think we need to see him in that position more often. It looked like it was Yeoman that was playing the same position in the second half, he did ok linking up with players, but didn't really do much and missed a glorious opportunity when missing the end of a Macklin cross.
Formerly dannyrvtufc4life.
Richinns
Country Captain
Country Captain
Favourite player: Kevin Kalala

Post by Richinns »

forevertufc wrote:This it with Lloyd Macklin, he did play very well last pre-season and clearly behind the scenes all was not well with him, Martin Ling has come out in public and given him a huge kick up the back side, but it has to stop there, these things have to be two way.

Lingy can not tell Macklin to buck his ideas up or go, with out being prepared to welcome Macklin back into the fold so to speak if he does just that and starts putting it in fully in training and on the pitch, and that applies to us fans aswell, everyone deserves a second chance.

Last night he showed more than enough desire, and a great deal of strenght on the ball aswell, he was up against championsip defenders who could not handle him one on one , as already mentioned on the thread they doubled up on him and still struggled to stop him.

This lad has potential I have said it all along, right now if it was me I would not be to quick to let him walk out of the door, take him of the transfer list and give him 6 months to prove him self, if nothing has changed for the better then let him go.
Yeah - I know he did this in pre-season last year but his form is kind of making me hope no one comes in for him now. How far away were we from thining this 2 weeks ago! Fair play to him and deserve credit and backing to hope he carries this on this time.
TUST member 328
Your club needs you. Join the TUST now - http://www.torquaysupporters.co.uk/
Modgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Alex Russell
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by Modgull »

Yes Macklin and Bodin were excellent and so also was Rice with a couple of good saves and very accurate distribution. Craig and Cruise both looked useful and most others performed reasonably. Leadbitter was the main disappointment for me.
Phil

Another marathon beckons!
6667GULL
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: O'KANE

Post by 6667GULL »

Poke looked very lacking in confidence. Leadbitter, Morris and Jarvis were all worrying.
Craig for Eunan please, he looks quality.
GazTheGull
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: ...

Post by GazTheGull »

Craig looked like he could slowly become a hero at Torquay if he got an extended run of first team matches. Want to see him in the line-up to face Leicester in the League Cup, and whoever we get in the JPT. Did like Thompson when he came on, looked pacey and only time will tell whether he will be able to become great or fall away (rather like Macklin).

Leadbitter made a few solid passes in the first half, and the rest of the time he just dawdled about watching Leeds attack him. Was rather obvious that Leeds were targetting him in the end of the first half.
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

Can only agree in part with that 6667gull, spot on about Leadbitter he looked out of his depth, Jarvis more than enough workrate, however his finishing was woeful at best as partly agree there.

Pokey did look well short of confidence that will come with games, just out of interest spoke to a Leeds fan mate last night who thought Martin Rice was the better keeper and our club would get a big money offer for Macklin :O

Have to say Ricey looks a much improved keeper as said above his kicking was spot on, and any premier league keeper would have been proud of his first save.

Think your being a tad harsh on Morris who looked decent in the middle, however agreed Nathan Craig looked like Eunan O'Kane's twin at times , he is a real prospect.
Formerly known as forevertufc
bc-gull
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Pearce

Post by bc-gull »

I was really impressed by Craig, he shows he can do the eunan job and he can help definsively, i also thought easton ran the midfield at times in the second half, a midfield 3 of NC mansell and easton is alot more stronger than the mansell lathrope and eunan, last season lathrope was more defensive, mansell was everywhere and eunan was more attacking, the other 3 seem to be able to hold the midfield a lot better, easton should start ahead of lathrope he done the job better.
Colorado Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Colorado Gull »

Having seen Leadbitter play in all of the friendlies so far, I actually think he had his best game against Leeds. By all means he wasn't amazing, he got pushed off the ball easily and misplaced some passes and interceptions. But he kept going and got stuck in at good occasions at times. At one point in the game when he was up near the corner flag near the bench, he lost the ball but carried on and out in three good challenges on different Leeds players and won the ball back. Ok that was the only thing he did that actually stuck in the memory and I wouldn't like him starting in a league game because I think he's too thin and not strong enough. However, at times he does show us some of his skill and I don't think he was as worse as he was against the Marines and Tivvy.
Formerly dannyrvtufc4life.
Trojan 67
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by Trojan 67 »

The highlights of the game for me were the outstanding goals from McCormack, the inspired performance of Macklin and the immediate first touch contribution of Kirtys MacKenzie.
Friend of TorquayFans.com
Member of the Month November 2020
Southampton Gull: "Well deserved"