Competition for first team starts

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
Trojan 67
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Competition for first team starts

Post by Trojan 67 »

It's what we didn't have in the season just ended. Dinger has played a cool open hand in his retained list. Maybe we should call him "Cool Hand Dinger". Nah, there's only one "cool hand" and that's "Cool Hand Luke" (Paul Newman).

As there's only one "winger" on the books (when he's not "hiding" in midfield) Danny Stevens definitely needs competition. Someone who did the job for us on both flanks like Zebs would be ideal.

If we can get someone like Zebs in, then the lil' fella who can't do it over 46 games will get the opportunity to do what he does best : run at tired defences in the last 20 minutes.

:nod:
Friend of TorquayFans.com
Member of the Month November 2020
Southampton Gull: "Well deserved"
Glostergull
Country Captain
Country Captain
Favourite player: ROBIN STUBBS

Post by Glostergull »

Dinger should be Hotfingures for all the fingure he has in pies. Unless their frozen of course.
Mansell. Bobby. Nico. Eunan. Saah. Ellis. Morris. Lathrope. Jarvis. Howe. Oastler. Stevens. Are the backbone and main players for our squad. I agree to an extent that Danny has occasionaly shown a little tiredness toward the end of the season but then, So did a lot of the team. So I can in no way single him out for critisism. Morris Oastler Jarvis and Howe have had periods when they were nullified. and even Captain Marvell will be honest enough to admit he had the odd bad match. But looking on the bright side. Yes there is one Troj me old mucker. We have a solid foundation for next season that should fill us with a lot more hope than previous season. A winger to cover for Danny. or replace Eunan should he leave. A goal Moocher (that's what we called em at School.) is the two main areas we need to address. With the money we could have extra cover for midfield and Defence but I doubt we have the finances. Having said that. The new signings may well turn out to be excellent prospects. We just need to see them in action for a few games. Then and only then can we make a judgment.
Always Look on the bright side of life

Check out my poems topic... http://www.torquayfans.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=4843
nicktufc
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Euuuuuuuunan

Post by nicktufc »

Agree totally Gloucester. That is really the only place where we let ourselves down in 2011-2012, the lack of a couple more players capable of stepping straight into the first team and playing to the same standard. You look at Cheltenham, and they left their top scorer out of both of the play off games as they had alternative options.

We only had 14 players who started 10 or more matches this year, and 2 of those(Robertson and Bodin) were only with us until mid-season, so in the closing weeks, we really only had 12 players(13 with Jarvis) who had the quality to make a difference.

If we work on the premise that the same players WILL be with us next season, then in my opinion we need a covering defender(left footed), a midfielder to cover any of the 3 positions(Easton?), a pacy winger capable of playing up top and hopefully Jarvis.

I'm also hoping that Niall Thompson is going to prove to be the first gem out of the youth set up, as his pace could be a major asset, something else we didn't have this year.