McPhee made available

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
CP Gull

McPhee made available

Post by CP Gull »

Quite surprised by this, as McPhee has been a lot closer to the 1st team than Macklin, but then again McPhee is 7 years older. I think Lingy is spot on with his comments about Macca, he should be getting regular first team football at this stage of his career and when you think how well regarded he was at both Ebsfleet and Kidderminster it seems a shame that he should "waste" another year of his career on our bench, or maybe not even that next year.

For whatever reason, it just hasn't worked out for him here, on either occasion. I was, like quite a few others I imagine, willing him on this time around in the hope that he might prove all us doubters wrong, but in reality he has struggled to make any real sort of impact.

Clearly finding another club might prove difficult given his oft stated desire to continue to live in Devon, to the extent that he regularly commuted to Kidderminster rather than move. I think he would be a good signing at BSP level for someone like Forest Green, but cannot see him finding another League club. I hope for his sake, and the clubs, that he can get himself fixed up somewhere in the summer.
Last edited by CP Gull on 22 May 2012, 18:52, edited 1 time in total.
bixieupnorth
Legend
Legend

Post by bixieupnorth »

link here

http://www.torquayunited.com/page/News/ ... 22,00.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
still keeping the faith
royalgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Stevland Angus

Post by royalgull »

Shouldn't have been offered 2 years in the first place to be honest. I think he's done ok when called upon rarely this season but to give an unproven League 2 player at 28 years of age at the time 2 years was nuts. He was only ever going to be a squad player.
Chris B
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Eunan O'Kane

Post by Chris B »

Apart from LRT's release, none of Ling's decisions so far have surprised me. I expect Atieno to be offered a deal (why else wait til he returns from international duty?), and for Halpin/Leadbitter to be listed or made available for loan.

I can see why Ling signed McPhee, and why Chris rejoined us, but as Royalgull says, a 2 year deal always looked excessive. Slightly concerned about our chances of finding takers for those surplus to requirements.
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

Jeez everytime I click away another thread turns up, I am going to join the not suprised gang on this one, depending on what type of player comes in, their was no rotation in the squad last season because their was no one behind the front 11, or any real game changers on the bench, pretty much confirmed by what Lingy is saying in these article's.

If we have a bench full of players seriuosly knocking on the door of the first team, then I am going be excited about next season, because that was all that cost us, this time around.
Formerly known as forevertufc
CP Gull

Post by CP Gull »

royalgull wrote:Shouldn't have been offered 2 years in the first place to be honest.
Quite right and let's face it, in a way it represents Lingy's first admission of having made a mistake in his transfer dealings since taking over as McPhee was his signing as opposed to someone he inherited (LRT,Palmer,Macklin). That said, he wouln't be human if he didn't make the odd mistake and I think we'll forgive him this one given the success of Olejnik, Saah and Howe...
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Southampton Gull »

Chris, I don't see it as a mistake. Here's a player who lives in the area already so has no relocation costs to push his wage demands up, meaning he comes cheaper than many alternatives. He's proved to be a hard working pro with a good attitude and happy to play anywhere, someone who can fill the bench and cover almost any position. We used him for a year when our budget was lower than most around us so I would say he was good value. He might not have turned out to be a star performer but I think it was as good a signing as we could have expected.
Dave

Friend of TorquayFans.com
CP Gull

Post by CP Gull »

Southampton Gull wrote:Chris, I don't see it as a mistake. Here's a player who lives in the area already so has no relocation costs to push his wage demands up, meaning he comes cheaper than many alternatives. He's proved to be a hard working pro with a good attitude and happy to play anywhere, someone who can fill the bench and cover almost any position. We used him for a year when our budget was lower than most around us so I would say he was good value. He might not have turned out to be a star performer but I think it was as good a signing as we could have expected.
Dave, I agree with all of the above. I was only agreeing with Royalgull's assertion that it was perhaps a mistake to offer him a 2 year deal at his age, given the fact that he had failed to make an impact at this level earlier in his career. Like you suggest, the signing made a lot of sense last summer for all sorts of reasons, but I just hope that it doesn't cost us nextvseason in terms of using up a valuable part of the playing budget on a player that, should he choose to stay, may see even less action next year.
brucie
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by brucie »

Whilst it was a poor signing I appreciate Ling had to get players in and quickly. It has been patently obvious that Ling hasn't rated Macklin (attitude) and Mcphee (ability) for most of the time that he has been here.
Unfortunately Mcphee has never been a football league standard player. The notion portrayed by some that he had somehow morphed into a good player during his time away was always a ridiculous one.
Hate to say I told you so but I have been proved right again.
CP Gull

Post by CP Gull »

It appears that clubs have already been in touch regarding McPhee's availability and although he's never established himself at League level with us I think it's fair to say that he has established a good reputation at BSP level through his exploits with Ebsfleet, Kidderminster and even the England 'C' team. Apparently Newport County are one of those who have enquired about him, where Justin Edinburgh is now the Manager - who would know a fair bit about him having been managing at that level for a number of years. If he did sign for them it would be a good move all round I would think, decent club, decent Manager, with decent prospects .... they also have ex loanee Romone Rose playing for them I notice.
Yellow4life
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Yellow4life »

CP Gull wrote:... they also have ex loanee Romone Rose playing for them I notice.
Interesting as I thought he went to Asia

Mcphee never was going to be a main player, his versatility works well though.
Nice guy too, having referee'd him a few times.
Regiment
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Lee Mansell

Post by Regiment »

brucie wrote:Whilst it was a poor signing I appreciate Ling had to get players in and quickly. It has been patently obvious that Ling hasn't rated Macklin (attitude) and Mcphee (ability) for most of the time that he has been here.
Unfortunately Mcphee has never been a football league standard player. The notion portrayed by some that he had somehow morphed into a good player during his time away was always a ridiculous one.
i agree with majority of your first two sentences, but in response to what followed, I think the important thing when he (McPhee) came back was that we got behind the guy and gave him a chance rather than condemn him before he even kicked a ball. it hasn't worked out as well as we'd all have liked, but give the guy some credit, he must've known there would be people such as your good self ready to slate him because of his first spell with us, but he gave it a go and never let anyone down. when he leaves he will do so with my best wishes for the future.
Brady

I Wish I Was There
gullintwoplaces
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Mark Loram

Post by gullintwoplaces »

brucie wrote:Whilst it was a poor signing I appreciate Ling had to get players in and quickly. It has been patently obvious that Ling hasn't rated Macklin (attitude) and Mcphee (ability) for most of the time that he has been here.
Yes Brucie, you may be right in part about McPhee (although I think you have always been very hard on a guy who tries his best) but you are (very) often wrong. Some of your "predictions" earlier in the season evidence this beautifully (I have removed some sentences to reduce length, but these are your words):
by brucie » 16 Jul 2011, 13:11
Whatever way you want to swing it we look set right up for a relegation battle. It won't take long to guage where we are. if we have one point on the board after four games I will be suprised.

by brucie » 12 Oct 2011, 14:12
The thread about Buckle on the Rovers board is hilarious. Ling seems a lot more straight forward than Buckle but is he any good as a manager? - got my doubts myself.
Can't really judge the team as I havn't seen a game all season and won't do as long as we parade the terminally sh*t team that we do week in week out.
No suprise really that we are hurling down the table headlong. Lets be honest if you play non league crap players every week then what do you expect?
And then theres the first team - Stevens (should be non league) Mcphee (Shouldn't even be non league) Atieno (more clubs than you'll find in a golf bag - they can't all be wrong). Saah (awful).
Is it really any wonder we are not playing well?

by brucie » 14 Oct 2011, 12:20
Our squad is bereft of league standard players - pure and simple. That is the reason I have not shelled out £70 for the privelege of attending any games this year.

brucie » 20 Oct 2011, 19:14
Are you actually mental or something. Problem is that the players who can't hack it at league level are a) the ones tha Ling bought in on two year contracts or b? the sh*t that Buckle left us with (macklin for eg)

by brucie » 16 Oct 2011, 23:11
Any comparison with the last two seasons is nonsensical. The team in the last two seasons was of better quality than this one. Therefore the likelyhood of picking up is probably less. Some people need to take a healthy dose of realism. Anyone can post sh*t like trojan has can any sane person really see the current side going on a run of wins?
There is NO evidence that our form is going to improve - in fact it is likely to get worse.
Quick to criticise, slow to admit when you are wrong.
Last edited by gullintwoplaces on 23 May 2012, 11:29, edited 1 time in total.
usagullmichigan
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by usagullmichigan »

Let's all tame a moment to laugh at brucie
SteveDeckchair
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero
Favourite player: Sir Alex Russell
Watches from: Pop side

Post by SteveDeckchair »

Made me chuckle! I particularly liked the last line..... He he.

In defence of Brucie though, we would have been in our poorest run of form in the season. On the other hand, it seems he sometimes can't wait to criticise.

Either way, I doubt he'll be too bothered at being stalked by gin2p! Let's face it, we all talk a load of old arse on here sometimes......
Mmmmmm, beeeeeeeer.