Torquay United v Crewe Alexandra - 28/4/12

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
Bearne1
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Zebra

Post by Bearne1 »

Being in line with the penalty area, the Crewe penalty was definately a penalty!

Over the 90 minues I thought Crewe looking slightly the better team but obviously very upset to come away with just a point.

Onwards and upwards to Hereford!
Popside Joe
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Asa Hall

Post by Popside Joe »

Put it this way.

We can win - and win comfortably - at Hereford. We then have momentum going into the playoffs with performances today and against Hereford. We can also likely be facing Crewe in the playoffs. Against whom we have proved today we can compete.

It's all ifs and maybes. Hopefully we won't need the playoffs anyway. Hopefully upsetting Crawley will be enough incentive for Accy.
Bearne1
On the Bench
On the Bench

Post by Bearne1 »

cambgull wrote:I don't think the problem is Hereford, its the being behind Crawley bit. We must win, they must drop points.
Or we must hope and pray the Hereford keeper gets sent off in the first few minutes, the sub keeper gets injured and we score a hat full!
coley in stripes
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: Lee Mansell

Post by coley in stripes »

Fate has probably run out of lifelines !!
PlainmoorRoar
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by PlainmoorRoar »

Bearne1 wrote:Being in line with the penalty area, the Crewe penalty was definately a penalty!

Over the 90 minues I thought Crewe looking slightly the better team but obviously very upset to come away with just a point.

Onwards and upwards to Hereford!

Its NEVER a penalty, could see the challenge clearly it was all ball
TUFC FACEBOOK PAGE - https://www.facebook.com/insideplainmoor
TUFC TWITTER PAGE - https://twitter.com/TUFC1899

Torquay United Supporters Trust member - Join the TUST now!
Dave_Pougher
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Mansell

Post by Dave_Pougher »

cambgull wrote:I don't think the problem is Hereford, its the being behind Crawley bit. We must win, they must drop points.

Don't forget Southend,, they can do it now.
Bearne1
On the Bench
On the Bench

Post by Bearne1 »

PlainmoorRoar wrote:
Its NEVER a penalty, could see the challenge clearly it was all ball
Best wait until the video reply, looked a late tackle but I may be wrong.......
usagullmichigan
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by usagullmichigan »

Bearne1 wrote: Best wait until the video reply, looked a late tackle but I may be wrong.......
Doesn't really matter as it was saved.
Lloyder5
Skipper
Skipper

Post by Lloyder5 »

I thought we were the better team and had the better chances and really should have been two up through either Mansell or Jarvis in the second. Didn't think it was a pen, but that is immaterial. Poor defensive header from Oastler at the end, he was of balance and tried to head the ball back where it came from, ended up looping in the air. Just needed to help it out to touch.

Still a great effort from the boys.
TUST number 080
Colorado Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Colorado Gull »

I forgot to say in my previous post, I was so annoyed with Tai when he came on. He had so much energy and hardly ever moved, put no effort in whatsoever closing down and chasing balls. Very, very disappointing!
Formerly dannyrvtufc4life.
Popside Joe
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Asa Hall

Post by Popside Joe »

Bearne1 wrote: Or we must hope and pray the Hereford keeper gets sent off in the first few minutes, the sub keeper gets injured and we score a hat full!
It's still in our hands, we just need to win 12-0
coley in stripes
Out on Loan
Out on Loan

Post by coley in stripes »

Stats ....Crawley have won 8 away. Accy at home have had 15 wins or draws.....Sounds like a draw !
Hereford have only won or drawn 9 at home. Gulls have won 11 away.....Sounds like a draw !
popside_yidlad
On the Bench
On the Bench

Post by popside_yidlad »

Gulliball wrote:I''d rather Crawley were playing anyone else instead of Accrington. They're experimenting with their side and have just conceeded five today. I can see us both winning next week which won't be enough for us. 3 points from the last 4 hasn't been anything like good enough to expect promotion.

Accy have played an experimental side in 2 games with nothing riding on the games, the 1 which was important (shrews) they played full side nothing wrong with that. On the positive many first team rested for crawley. They will want to sign off with a win at home
Modgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Alex Russell
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by Modgull »

Well, I think we rode our luck having taken the lead. Instead of taking the game to Crewe we stood back and tried to hit them on the break. As such we probably got what we deserved but it could have been worse with the saved penalty and them hitting the bar too.

Generally I thought we played well but Crewe were on the whole more skilled on the ball and seemed less frightened of us as we were of them. If we play them in the playoff semis (unlikely) I think we will lose over two legs. If in the final our experience of finals might help us come out on top in a one off game.

The autos I think are a vain hope now. We have by far the hardest task against a desperate yet resurgent Hereford whilst I expect Southend to smash a demoralised Macclesfield side at home. I think Crawley may only draw at Accrington but I don't expect us to win thus allowing Southend to cross the line ahead of both of us.

The likely scenario is therefore us against Cheltenham and Crawley against Crewe. I feel happier to be playing Cheltenham but much will depend on the strength of squad morale after today' sickening finale.
Phil

Another marathon beckons!
Jeff
Plays for Country
Plays for Country

Post by Jeff »

Accrington have stopped playing their experimental side - the side the drew at home with Shrewsbury last week was the same side who played today and got spanked.

If there is one place I would never want to go needing a result, it's Accrington, regardless of circumstance. Accrington will get a rocket and are very tough to beat at home.

Although today hurt, it doesn't change an awful lot. Had we not conceded, we had to win to be sure. As it is, we still cannot afford to not win at Hereford. Something to play for or not, Hereford do have the worst home record in the division I believe.