Eddie May RIP

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
SkyBlueGull
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: David Graham

Eddie May RIP

Post by SkyBlueGull »

According to BBC website Eddie May has died at age of 68 - bit before I started my love affair with the Gulls but gather he was a manager of the club - so condolences to his family.
hector
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: jim mcnichol

Post by hector »

Sad news.

It was a strange time when he was manager of us. He took over from us when we had the chance of Gary Megson or Mick Buxton but Bateson went for May, probably on the basis of his spell of winning promotion with Cardiff.

But it just never worked. Eddie May reminded me of Dave Webb, so he never really won me over, especially when he promoted Paul Compton back to Assistant Manager, although in retrospect, that may have been a Bateson decision.

However, May did sign Alex Watson and Paul Baker - in fact he was given quite a bit of money - which was ironic when his predecessor, Don O'Riordan, was starved of funds which resulted in him losing his job, so bad were the results. However, Eddie May on the back of some biggish money for us, did not really do any better than Don O'Riordan did with no money.

His departure was kind of inevitable although I'm not sure it was ever fully explained.

Anyway, sad to hear of his passing.
ROADRUNNER
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: clint boulton

Post by ROADRUNNER »

RIP EDDIE
oxgull
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Class of 69

Post by oxgull »

RIP Eddie May.
Oblivion!!!!
GulldenBoy
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Branston

Post by GulldenBoy »

hector wrote:Sad news.

It was a strange time when he was manager of us. He took over from us when we had the chance of Gary Megson or Mick Buxton but Bateson went for May, probably on the basis of his spell of winning promotion with Cardiff.

But it just never worked. Eddie May reminded me of Dave Webb, so he never really won me over, especially when he promoted Paul Compton back to Assistant Manager, although in retrospect, that may have been a Bateson decision.

However, May did sign Alex Watson and Paul Baker - in fact he was given quite a bit of money - which was ironic when his predecessor, Don O'Riordan, was starved of funds which resulted in him losing his job, so bad were the results. However, Eddie May on the back of some biggish money for us, did not really do any better than Don O'Riordan did with no money.

His departure was kind of inevitable although I'm not sure it was ever fully explained.

Anyway, sad to hear of his passing.
Lets also not forget that he brought Charlie Oatway to the club, one of the most popular players in recent years.

Seeing Eddie sitting in the dugout with his blanket on his knees always used to amuse me.