Buckle for Luton

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
royalgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Stevland Angus

Post by royalgull »

He drives to the left, he drives to the riiiight
That boy Muzzy
His Geography's sh*te.
Gullscorer
Legend
Legend

Post by Gullscorer »

Glostergull wrote:I think Buckles main problems have been fairly accuratly portrayed on here. Having talked to 2 or 3 Rovers Players it seems he walked into the club and began dictating which wound up most of the playing staff. having got his start here he could get away with it after a while as it was his first job and he probably didn't do it straight away so the players got used to it as it more than likely happened gradually. But at Rovers he just walked in and Bang. Straight in their faces. It remind me very much of One of Eglands greatest managers they never had. Brian Clough. Straight talking. Brash and arrogant. it got him the boot at Leeds. But Hartlepools, Derby County and Nottinghan Forest wouldn't say a bad word about him. in fact he is hero worshiped at the latter two. I wouldn't be surprised to see him rise up again and manage a bigger club. Look at old Cloughie. He matured and became one of the games most loved managers.
Luton hope to name their new manager by the end of the week. It may or may not be Paul Buckle, but if it does turn out to be him, I think it would be a good appointment for him and the club. It would give him a chance to achieve again the success he had at Torquay, and more, without making the mistakes of the past. Every manager, and every good manager, including Buckle and Martin Ling, have had spells of failure for various reasons, as well as periods of success. The same can be said of anyone in any walk of life.

I suspect Buckle's failure at Bristol Rovers was due at least in part to their players' experience of the previous season, with three unsuccessful managers and ultimately one of the players, Campbell, taking over as manager. When Buckle came in as the new boss determined to impose his authority, the players had forgotten that the manager, not any of the players, is the boss, and that the players, including Campbell, still thought they had a major role in making the decisions. Result: disaster on the pitch.

But you would not expect any of them in public to admit too much of what went on behind the scenes. Buckle doubtless could have made a better job of his man management, but he was not the only one to have made mistakes. We all make them. The important thing is to learn from them, put them firmly into the past, and look to the future. So, whether Buckle gets the Luton job or some other position, we can only wish him, and the club concerned, the best of luck.

Except when they play the Gulls, of course..
diamondgirl
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero
Favourite player: Aaron Downes

Post by diamondgirl »

"We await news as to whether he has accepted or not."

Ha, you're having a laugh, as if he is going to turn it down. Going on previous form, he probably agreed to take over at Luton some time in October.

Matt.
"Thing's turn out best when you make the best of the way thing's turn out."
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Southampton Gull »

diamondgirl wrote:"We await news as to whether he has accepted or not."

Ha, you're having a laugh, as if he is going to turn it down. Going on previous form, he probably agreed to take over at Luton some time in October.

Matt.

At last, the confirmation that Matt is a girl :rofl:
Dave

Friend of TorquayFans.com
gasrex
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs

Post by gasrex »

I thought the bloke was an odious little twerp from day one. Having said that, there is often a thin line between success and failure, and had it gone better for him up here, no doubt many Gas would be lauding him as some kind of legend. He showed very little humility during his time here, and seemed to blame everyone else, for anything that went wrong. However, he did take some vile abuse at times, and I think towards the end it was just some kind of defence mechanism. Whatever else can be said about him, I think he can say he did a good job for Torquay, and, at the beginning, looked like he might make a go of things up here too. IF, he's humble enough to have learnt from his time at Rovers, there is no reason why he can't do well for Luton.
I would wish him well, but as stated earlier, I think he is an odious little twerp, so I won't!
stevegull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Tony Bedeau

Post by stevegull »

gasrex wrote:I thought the bloke was an odious little twerp from day one. Having said that, there is often a thin line between success and failure, and had it gone better for him up here, no doubt many Gas would be lauding him as some kind of legend. He showed very little humility during his time here, and seemed to blame everyone else, for anything that went wrong. However, he did take some vile abuse at times, and I think towards the end it was just some kind of defence mechanism. Whatever else can be said about him, I think he can say he did a good job for Torquay, and, at the beginning, looked like he might make a go of things up here too. IF, he's humble enough to have learnt from his time at Rovers, there is no reason why he can't do well for Luton.
I would wish him well, but as stated earlier, I think he is an odious little twerp, so I won't!
:-D

Completely agree. If he realises that he did make errors at Rovers and can learn from them then there is no reason he can't do a good job at Luton. However, if he's still blaming the 'corner flags being too straight' on his bad spell at Rovers then he could well be destined to the management scrap heap before too long.
Maybe one day, Carayol will find London...
stefano
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Don Mills

Post by stefano »

gasrex wrote:I would wish him well, but as stated earlier, I think he is an odious little twerp, so I won't!
He speaks highly of you too ;-)
Gullscorer
Legend
Legend

Post by Gullscorer »

stefano wrote: He speaks highly of you too ;-)
Isn't there an old saying, it takes one to know one..? =D
Yellow4life
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Yellow4life »

Just been confirmed on SSN!
SuperNickyWroe
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Andy Provan
Watches from: The sofa

Post by SuperNickyWroe »

Southampton Gull wrote:
At last, the confirmation that Matt is a girl :rofl:

never in doubt. :rofl:
Member of the Yorkshire Gulls Supporters Club - Proud Sponsors of Aaron Jarvis 2023-2024
We now drive South to all the games!

TUST Member 468

yellow
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Situation Vacant

Post by yellow »

Ah Luton Town. Now weren’t they the scumbag fans that created mayhem when they lost the play-off semi to York City the other year. Like spoiled brats who had lost a party game.

http://www.wsc.co.uk/content/view/5267/38/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Now they have Buckle. That looks like a good fit to me.....
"A day without football is a day lost" (Ernst Happel)
"Look at the (Plainmoor) stars, Look how they shine for you, And everything you do, Yeah they were all yellow" (C. Martin)
Gullscorer
Legend
Legend

Post by Gullscorer »

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/17638073" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Buckle back in business..! Good luck to him.. and to Luton..!

He'll probably turn things around immediately there, and win promotion for them this season via the play-offs. Then next season he'll do the same in League Two, beating Bristol Rovers in the play-offs.. :~D
jocktheknife
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Nicho

Post by jocktheknife »

Good appointment by Luton, in my book.

They'll be in for a ride alright but I think he could well be the man that takes them up.

At the end of the day, he knows how to win games and create the right spirit at that level.
....aka jmgull.
Plymouth Gull

Post by Plymouth Gull »

Hmm, think he might struggle. If he doesn't finish top 5 this season pressures on, if he doesn't get them up next year he'll be gone.