Why does everyone hate the Grecians?

General chat about anything else goes here.
Gullscorer
Legend
Legend

Why does everyone hate the Grecians?

Post by Gullscorer »

Looking at forums such as our own and PASOTI, I get the distinct impression that everybody 'hates' Exeter City. But I can't for the life of me imagine why.

I can remember childhood visits with my Dad to local derbies at St. James' (and Home Park) and they were all enjoyable occasions with fans of both teams intermingling around the ground, with friendly banter and discussion, and no trouble at all. A long time ago now, of course, and times have changed, but I still can't understand this supposed loathing of Exeter supporters.

Every club seems to have a small percentage of idiotic fans, but surely not enough to warrant this detestation. Is it merely a tongue-in-cheek expression of local rivalry, or is it for real?
Plymgull
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero

Post by Plymgull »

I can't stand Argyle, i hope they go down. Yet, one of my best mates is a slime ball... i mean Argyle supporter, as are a lot of my mates.

I like to see Exeter lose, but i don't hate them.
usagullmichigan
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by usagullmichigan »

I don't mind Plymouth, but I wish Exeter was Hiroshima.
DonnyGull
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Mark Halstead

Post by DonnyGull »

I remember going to watch Exeter as a young lad, before seeing the light. A certain spotty young lad played for them - Martin Ling - plus think of all the players who have played for both clubs over the years (and Argyle). o:)
AustrianAndyGull
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Kev Nicholson

Post by AustrianAndyGull »

You don't like Exeter just because of that Grecian Traffic Officer who noticed your Torquay numberplate and gave you a ticket Tony! :lol:
Strangely enough it was Pope Gregory the 9th inviting me for drinks aboard his steam yacht, the saucy sue currently wintering in montego bay with the England cricket team and the Balanese Goddess of plenty.
bobby93
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Eunan O'Kane

Post by bobby93 »

There are a large number of teams that I dislike much more than Exeter or Plymouth, although it admittedly it always means more when we get one over on them.
FINAL ISSUE (#13) & back issues of TUFC fanzine Highway to Hele available now from http://www.highwaytohele.bigcartel.com

Twitter: @highwaytohele
Facebook: facebook.com/highwaytohele
Awayday
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero
Favourite player: Chris McPhee

Post by Awayday »

Living in Southampton there is proper town rivallary between Southampton and Portsmouth that goes back to the dock strikes in the early 1900's. The hatred is a town thing that has passed into the terraces. In short Southampton docks went on strike and to support them the Portsmouth docks did the same, but Southampton realised there was money to be made from all the boats, so they crossed the picket line and started working again. I believe the word scummer is slang for someone who crosses a picket line. Therefore I can understand why Portmouth have a problem with Southampton but not the other way around.

As for hating Exeter, I will sing the anti songs and wish them to lose every game, but hate is such a strong word. As for the rivalry it seems it is just football related rather than town related.

Other rivals such as Man City / Man Utd, we all know Man City is the original team of Manchester, and Man Utd was a merge of 3 or 4 teams at the time. Arsenal / Tottenham is not a North London thing, but more Arsenal moving from South London onto Tottenham's "turf". As far as I can tell they are all football related rather than a historical event to cause the rivalry.
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Southampton Gull »

All the teams you support in one post, congrats .............................. ;-)
Dave

Friend of TorquayFans.com
gullintwoplaces
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Mark Loram

Post by gullintwoplaces »

I like Exeter to lose every week. I'll be happy if they are relegated this season. I laughed when they went down to the Blue Square. Can't say I hate them though.
AustrianAndyGull
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Kev Nicholson

Post by AustrianAndyGull »

Not being from the South West i have no real animosity towards any of our West Country rivals as i don't have that depth of feeling. I think being brought up in Yorkshire i really hate Leeds United ( as most fans of other clubs throughout the uk do ) but i also hate Doncaster Rovers for my own personal ( and bitter ) reasons and i have a strong dislike for Scunny too.
Strangely enough it was Pope Gregory the 9th inviting me for drinks aboard his steam yacht, the saucy sue currently wintering in montego bay with the England cricket team and the Balanese Goddess of plenty.
DonnyGull
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Mark Halstead

Post by DonnyGull »

austrianandygull wrote:You don't like Exeter just because of that Grecian Traffic Officer who noticed your Torquay numberplate and gave you a ticket Tony! :lol:
Yes especially after driving around the UK for almost a year, without a problem!! Then first journey to Devon (Driving along the A38 at Exeter) got pulled over. T**ts :red:
eastyorksgull
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: BRANSTON

Post by eastyorksgull »

austrianandygull wrote:Not being from the South West i have no real animosity towards any of our West Country rivals as i don't have that depth of feeling. I think being brought up in Yorkshire i really hate Leeds United ( as most fans of other clubs throughout the uk do ) but i also hate Doncaster Rovers for my own personal ( and bitter ) reasons and i have a strong dislike for Scunny too.
and hull city :lol:
ROADRUNNER
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: clint boulton

Post by ROADRUNNER »

hate exeter always have always will, i can stomach argyle , if anyone gets relegated i hope its city
taxilady
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Micky Cave RIP
Watches from: Pop side

Post by taxilady »

I've never minded Exeter. I was sad when they went down, & pleased when they got back into the League. I live nearer to their ground these days than Plainmoor, & two of my kids support them.Now Argyle is quite another matter...can't stand them , & think a spell out of the League would do them good.As far as Devon goes, it's definitely their turn!!!
We'll Be Back ! TTID

TUST share number 066
happytorq
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Kevin Hill
Watches from: The sofa

Post by happytorq »

taxilady wrote:I've never minded Exeter. I was sad when they went down, & pleased when they got back into the League. I live nearer to their ground these days than Plainmoor, & two of my kids support them.Now Argyle is quite another matter...can't stand them , & think a spell out of the League would do them good.As far as Devon goes, it's definitely their turn!!!
Well, as long as they know that they've been disinherited, that's ok.
Images for Avatar Copyright Historical Football Kits and reproduced by kind permission.

Eam non defectum. Ego potest tractare quod. Est spes occidit me.