Good Bye Horse.......

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
Awayday
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero
Favourite player: Chris McPhee

Good Bye Horse.......

Post by Awayday »

In the many years I have followed Torquay we have often sung "Good bye Horse" but never really known why.
A few fans got sick and tired of hearing it and started retorting "Shoot the Horse".

The origins of the song seem to go back to naval times. The word "horse" refers to a woman who had a one night stand with a sailor.

As we know the lyrics we sing are....

Good Bye Horse
Good Bye Horse
I was saying Good Bye to my Horse
and as I was saying good bye to my horse
I was saying good bye to my horse

However the original words were (and also had a 2nd verse) please note there is no error in the lyrics, it seems the original is sung in a different order.

He was saying goodbye to his horse,
And as he was saying goodbye to his horse,
Goodbye horse [Goodbye horse]
Goodbye horse [Goodbye horse]
Last night he was saying goodbye to his horse,
He was saying goodbye to his horse.

Charlton Athletic had a fanzine called "Good Bye Horse" which I believe was based on the same song, but they have closed it down due to lack of funds.

This is not to be confused with "Good Bye Horses" which featured in "Silence of the Lambs". In this case "horses" is a term used for the 5 senses.

Anyway how the hell did it become a Torquay chant........ I am pressuming it goes back to the sailor theme and that Torquay either had lots of sailors or lots of horses?
royalgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Stevland Angus

Post by royalgull »

There was a thread before boardcrashgate discussing songs and stuff and this was the one that i'd heard at Plainmoor once or twice but coudn't remember the lyrics or how it goes. So thanks for reminding me, it wasn't me going senile already. :)
Dave_Pougher
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Mansell

Post by Dave_Pougher »

Think the gee gee song is pretty poor to tell you the truth but at least everybody sang it. I welcome a debate on any new lyrical ideas. Boy oh boy do we need an anthem that everyone knows.
Northumbergull
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Alex Watson
Location: Widdrington Station, Northumberland (hence the monicker)

Post by Northumbergull »

Maybe it comes from our proximity to a naval base, and the fact that joining the navy was a career option for so many, particularly those that, initially, didn't want to move too far out of the Westcountry - a sort of Torquay/navy anthem/tribute.

Certainly, even in the late 70s, when I was leaving school, lots of lads joined up, some of them to die in the Falklands very soon thereafter.

Or, we could've just borrowed it from Argyle. Do they sing it?

I wouldn't expect the 'big city slickers' up the road to sing it, mind. A bit too common and rufty-tufty for their sensitive ears! :lol:

Cheers

Bruce
Northumberland Gulls, we drive south to all the games!
Awayday
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero

Post by Awayday »

Dave_Pougher wrote:Think the gee gee song is pretty poor to tell you the truth but at least everybody sang it. I welcome a debate on any new lyrical ideas. Boy oh boy do we need an anthem that everyone knows.
The Back Step Army are currently writting a new anthem as we speak. We think we have one, but we will print the words out and spread them around at Oxford game. We would do them for Morecambe, but the Back Step Committee are going to be in the family stand.
BlueYellow
On the Bench
On the Bench

Post by BlueYellow »

post deleted, new one in the process
Last edited by BlueYellow on 27 Oct 2010, 10:12, edited 1 time in total.
wivelgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: ROBIN STUBBS

Post by wivelgull »

Groan!
Awayday
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero

Post by Awayday »

wivelgull wrote:Groan!
I would have thought you would have been happier than anyone, it means the drum won't be there on Saturday.
wivelgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: ROBIN STUBBS

Post by wivelgull »

Yes, you are right, I hadn't thought of that; even silly songs are preferable to that infernal drum.
Awayday
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero

Post by Awayday »

wivelgull wrote:Yes, you are right, I hadn't thought of that; even silly songs are preferable to that infernal drum.
I'll stop taking it then :ugeek:
ferrarilover
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: You'll find out ;-)

Post by ferrarilover »

Who the hell does this Wivel **** think he is? You don't like the drum pal, don't go, you won't be missed.

Matt.
J5 said, "ferrarilover is 100% correct"
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Southampton Gull »

Matt Matt Matt, your tolerance level is so low lately, please write One Hundred lines of

I must respect other forum users. :lol:
Dave

Friend of TorquayFans.com
ferrarilover
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: You'll find out ;-)

Post by ferrarilover »

I must respect other forum users. I must respect other forum users. I must respect other forum users. I must respect other forum users. I must respect other forum users. I must respect other forum users. I must respect other forum users. I must respect other forum users. I must respect other forum users. I must respect other forum users. I must respect other forum users. I must respect other forum users. I must respect other forum users. I must respect other forum users. I must respect other forum users. I must respect other forum users. I must respect other forum users. I must respect other forum users. I must respect other forum users. I must respect other forum users. I must respect other forum users. I must respect other forum users. I must respect other forum users. I must respect other forum users. I must respect other forum users. I must respect other forum users. I must respect other forum users. I must respect other forum users. I must respect other forum users. I must respect other forum users. I must respect other forum users. I must respect other forum users. I must respect other forum users. I must respect other forum users. I must respect other forum users. I must respect other forum users. I must respect other forum users. I must respect other forum users. I must respect other forum users. I must respect other forum users. I must respect other forum users. I must respect other forum users. I must respect other forum users. I must respect other forum users. I must respect other forum users. I must respect other forum users. I must respect other forum users. I must respect other forum users. I must respect other forum users. I must respect other forum users. I must respect other forum users. I must respect other forum users. I must respect other forum users. I must respect other forum users. I must respect other forum users. I must respect other forum users. I must respect other forum users. I must respect other forum users. I must respect other forum users. I must respect other forum users. I must respect other forum users. I must respect other forum users. I must respect other forum users. I must respect other forum users. I must respect other forum users. I must respect other forum users. I must respect other forum users. I must respect other forum users. I must respect other forum users. I must respect other forum users. I must respect other forum users. I must respect other forum users. I must respect other forum users. I must respect other forum users. I must respect other forum users. I must respect other forum users. I must respect other forum users. I must respect other forum users. I must respect other forum users. I must respect other forum users. I must respect other forum users. I must respect other forum users. I must respect other forum users. I must respect other forum users. I must respect other forum users. I must respect other forum users. I must respect other forum users. I must respect other forum users. I must respect other forum users. I must respect other forum users. I must respect other forum users. I must respect other forum users. I must respect other forum users. I must respect other forum users. I must respect other forum users. I must respect other forum users. I must respect other forum users. I must respect other forum users. I must respect other forum users. I must respect other forum users.

I still want to know who on Earth he thinks he is though...

See you Saturday Dave?

Matt.
J5 said, "ferrarilover is 100% correct"
happytorq
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Kevin Hill
Watches from: The sofa

Post by happytorq »

"Back Step Army"?!
"Back Step Committee"?!

Why am I put in mind of a late 70s shopfloor union official?
Images for Avatar Copyright Historical Football Kits and reproduced by kind permission.

Eam non defectum. Ego potest tractare quod. Est spes occidit me.
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Southampton Gull »

You couldn't be further from the truth Haps, he's more tongue in cheek than a lizard :)
Dave

Friend of TorquayFans.com