Lewis Collins Signs

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
happytorq
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Kevin Hill
Watches from: The sofa

Lewis Collins Signs

Post by happytorq »

Another one from the team that wasn't half bad for the last 20% of the season.

A good signing IMO - after he left Newport I was certain he'd get a L2 or NL club

https://torquayunited.com/breaking-news ... plainmoor/
Images for Avatar Copyright Historical Football Kits and reproduced by kind permission.

Eam non defectum. Ego potest tractare quod. Est spes occidit me.
Nick Potkins
Vice Captain
Vice Captain

Post by Nick Potkins »

Fantastic news.
brucie
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by brucie »

Got to say I'm amazed we manage to sign Stobbs and Collins.
happytorq
Plays for Country
Plays for Country

Post by happytorq »

brucie wrote: 02 Jun 2023, 17:28 Got to say I'm amazed we manage to sign Stobbs and Collins.
is..that...a tiny bit of optimism, brucie?

come on, get a little bit excited. you know it make sense :D
Images for Avatar Copyright Historical Football Kits and reproduced by kind permission.

Stickingitin
On the Bench
On the Bench

Post by Stickingitin »

What an excellent and enlightening interview from Lewis Collins.
We may not need Frank Nouble but we do need at least THREE strikers.
Lets not cock it up this time.
Admiral
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero

Post by Admiral »

Brilliant signing, genuinely decent striker who can play anywhere across the forward line. Bar Nouble and Nico that’s pretty much the same (good) X1 isn’t it?
happytorq
Plays for Country
Plays for Country

Post by happytorq »

Admiral wrote: 02 Jun 2023, 19:10 Brilliant signing, genuinely decent striker who can play anywhere across the forward line. Bar Nouble and Nico that’s pretty much the same (good) X1 isn’t it?
Yep. Think we have 15 signed on now. 4 of those are ones that nobody is really sure of - McGavin, Hanson, Marshall, Crowe - and I don't know if we're trying to offload any of them. I can't imagine too many people are queueing up to sign them, mind. You'd hope that at least one of those would be able to turn it around (my money probably on Crowe).

I believe we're also still waiting on Lovett and Martin. Martin signing would be good, as you'd assume it means his fitness is good enough. If he doesn't sign, I think he stop playing football altogether.

We're still short of at least one defender (probably 2) and we possibly need a bit more invention in the middle - although we might be looking at playing with a lot more pace out wide (as we did in the backend of last season) which could suggest our central midfield will be expected to retrieve the ball and get it wide.

Admiral
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero

Post by Admiral »

happytorq wrote: 02 Jun 2023, 19:20 Yep. Think we have 15 signed on now. 4 of those are ones that nobody is really sure of - McGavin, Hanson, Marshall, Crowe - and I don't know if we're trying to offload any of them. I can't imagine too many people are queueing up to sign them, mind. You'd hope that at least one of those would be able to turn it around (my money probably on Crowe).

I believe we're also still waiting on Lovett and Martin. Martin signing would be good, as you'd assume it means his fitness is good enough. If he doesn't sign, I think he stop playing football altogether.

We're still short of at least one defender (probably 2) and we possibly need a bit more invention in the middle - although we might be looking at playing with a lot more pace out wide (as we did in the backend of last season) which could suggest our central midfield will be expected to retrieve the ball and get it wide.
My money’s also on Crowe. If we’re to mount a serious promotion push we can’t be playing Marshall, so we need 2 CBs or a CB and a LB. Donnellan is a useful player to have in the squad but I’d love us to sign a natural RB, but I suppose with Crowe under contract it’s up to him to prove he can perform.

Wingers this season are a must! How many games last season did we have attacking options on the bench?
UnitedinDevon
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero

Post by UnitedinDevon »

Given the signings we've made I imagine it will be a 3-5-2 formation so out and out RBs may not be needed, especially as we have a lot of CMs

CB is now the key position as well as a 3rd out and out striker
jono_Gull209
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: Jason Fowler

Post by jono_Gull209 »

Good signing. We are a one or two away from having a genuinely decent side for that level.
DevonBee
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Tom Lapslie
Watches from: Pop side

Post by DevonBee »

Great signing as Lewis offers energy and useful pace for us.
Genuinely looked like he enjoyed his time inTQ1, things are taking shape. A far stronger group than this time last year for sure. If we can ship out a couple of the losers mentioned we will be even stronger .
Admiral
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero

Post by Admiral »

We’re still a way off having a capable squad. We’ve also got some deadwood, so we’re probably 5 good signings away. We can’t be using about 40 different players like last season again!
culmstockgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: stubbs
Watches from: Family Stand

Post by culmstockgull »

I am not sure what some people expect from us, people to this day still cling to the belief that we have a divine right to be in the football league, we arrive yet again in the south for numerous reasons, primarily, last season we signed a load of dross that no one else patently wanted, we were in a nutshell had over big time by a recuitment team that was patently not up to scratch. most of whom would trouble the courts under the trades description act if they tried to assert they were pro footballers and it wasnt until the fat lady had nearly finished singing that we chose to do something about it, those players we got in at the death very nearly kept us in the national and we have signed most of them.
We hope and assume that no one will trouble us this coming season, logically the quality will be lower, it will certainly be more agricultural and physical, the standard of referring will be poorer if that is at all possible and the plastic pitches mean that certain of our players will not feature in those matches, but more teams are going full time and will invest as much or more than us. I believe we will win the league but do not expect it to be the cake walk it was last time around.
brucie
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by brucie »

I'm not sure we havnt got a capable squad for the level we are playing at to be honest.
DevonBee
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Tom Lapslie
Watches from: Pop side

Post by DevonBee »

It’s been called the Pasty League , we will need to come out of the blocks fast . We need to be up there at the top of this pub league or the fans will turn toxic very quickly.

Need at least another 4 to 6 signings as the Dad’s Army in the squad are not going to cope with the plastic pitches