Crewe vs Torquay Match Thread

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
Dave_Pougher
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Mansell

Post by Dave_Pougher »

I'd take a point right now (whenever I say that we play well so it's going to happen a lot) but will probably dissapointed at FT that we haven't got all three. We need to start scoring, obviously but I would settle for somebody just wacking it on target for now as we don't seem able to do that recently.

The loan signing of Oastler probably finally puts to bed a rumour I heard about us being interested in loaning Bradfords out of favour Tommy Doherty which, given his age, suprised me. Not sure where he'll end up now as it was reportedly only us and Bath City that where interested in him and Bath now have Aggy.

1-1
Fonda
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Super Jason Fowler

Post by Fonda »

Just wrote this elsewhere, thought i might as well add it here too.

Expect us to play some nice stuff at times, be reasonably resolute at the back, but ultimately toothless up front.

The introduction of O'Kane to our midfield and the change to 4-5-1 means we play some nice one-touch football in the middle of the pitch, but ultimately lack numbers in the danger area when chances are created.

We're generally pretty solid at the back, although the lack of goals at the other end mean our defence now appears more pressured than it did before - mindful as they are that a goal conceded probably means dropped points.

Probably 1 or 2 nil home win. Though i've got my fingers crossed we can grab a point.
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Southampton Gull »

Wish I could have made this one, the game last season was one of the best games I saw, except for that dreadful mistake from Poke.

Going for a 2-1 away win.

Potter

Robbo Ellis Branston Nico

O'Kane Mansell Stevens

Zebroski Benyon Kee
Dave

Friend of TorquayFans.com
westbaygull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by westbaygull »

Do you really prefer Potter in goal, SG, or is Bevs injured?

Incidentally, and ever so slightly off topic, but was chatting to a Brighton-supporting salesman about Pokey yesterday and seemingly Poke is 3rd choice keeper and completely out of favour with Poyet. What a huge shame.
ferrarilover
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: You'll find out ;-)

Post by ferrarilover »

westbaygull wrote:Do you really prefer Potter in goal, SG, or is Bevs injured?

Incidentally, and ever so slightly off topic, but was chatting to a Brighton-supporting salesman about Pokey yesterday and seemingly Poke is 3rd choice keeper and completely out of favour with Poyet. What a huge shame.
You could not be more right, what a complete and utter waste of a HUGE talent. Going tomorrow?

Matt.
J5 said, "ferrarilover is 100% correct"
westbaygull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by westbaygull »

No, not going tomorrow, going next week and to the next home reserves so you can treat me to a coffee then ;-) And chatting about Pokey cost me a new mobile which I can't work out how to use....

Meanwhile, back on topic.... :|
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Southampton Gull »

westbaygull wrote:Do you really prefer Potter in goal, SG, or is Bevs injured?

No, I prefer Bevan and disagreed with Matt about Potters performance at Swindon the other night. As another fan said (I'd already thought so as well) "He reminds me of Rice, indecisive and a line-keeper".

My reason for naming Potter was that Bevan spent almost the entire Swindon game stretching and working on his back, just an inkling that he might not be fit enough, although I certainly hope so.

I heard a rumour that Potter broke a finger in training at Walsall yesterday, never stopped me from playing though :)
Dave

Friend of TorquayFans.com
Scott Brehaut
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin
Favourite player: Lee Mansell

Post by Scott Brehaut »

SouthamptonGull wrote:Wish I could have made this one, the game last season was one of the best games I saw, except for that dreadful mistake from Poke.

Potter

O'Kane Mansell Stevens

Zebroski Benyon Kee
With the exception of Potter in goal (not that I have seen him play, but Bevs is OUR number one), that is a cracking looking team. My only concern would be that Nico and Robbo would be exposed due to a lack of width, and Mansell would have to put in another good session to help the defence.

Maybe keep the same outfield players, but go something like this:

Bevs
Manse
Zebs Stevens
O'Kane
Benyon Kee

If we did go with SG's suggestion, maybe putting Senda in instead of Robbo, as he is more inclined to get forward more, although not sure on match fitness to comment too much.

EDIT: Ok, that didn't come out as I hoped, but basicially Manse is sat in front of Ellis and Pickler, with Zebs and Stevens on the wings, and O'Kane sat "in the hole" as an attacking midfielder.

STIP
Friend of torquayfans.com
HRG
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by HRG »

4-1-2-1-2?
Blimey, it gets more complicated every week. I may need to lie down for a minute. :)
Scott Brehaut
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin
Favourite player: Lee Mansell

Post by Scott Brehaut »

Indeed - Crewe don't like it "up 'em", so let's attack from the off. Given their penchant for scoring goals we have the added security of Manse assisting Ellis and Branston when they come on the counter.

STIP
Friend of torquayfans.com
tommyg
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Rodney Jack

Post by tommyg »

SouthamptonGull wrote:Wish I could have made this one, the game last season was one of the best games I saw, except for that dreadful mistake from Poke.

Potter

O'Kane Mansell Stevens

Zebroski Benyon Kee
I certainly agree with that. We were superb last season despite heading into the game in poor form. Zebs ran them ragged. I'm hoping for a similar showing. On our day, we can match, and dare I say outplay, any team in this league. It just depends which Torquay turn up.
HRG
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by HRG »

I do quite like the idea and the theory behind it I agree with.
The defence will be all important here since we've not been scoring and they ruddy well are!
YellowMurphy
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Brian Saah

Post by YellowMurphy »

Stick with what we did at Stevenage.

Bevan
Nico
Branston
Ellis
Robbo
Stevens
Wroe
O'Kane
Mansell
Zebs
Benyon

Looks like Gradi is expecting us to play a long ball game. http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/footbal ... 053150.stm

Page last updated at 11:02 GMT, Friday, 8 October 2010 12:02 UK
E-mail this to a friend Printable version
Crewe v Torquay
Live text and stats

Content will update automatically

Saturday, 9 October 2010

Npower League Two
Home Team Score Away Team Time
Crewe v Torquay 15:00

CREWE
TORQUAY
Possession

* Crewe 50%
* Torquay 50%

Attempts on target

* Crewe 0
* Torquay 0

Attempts off target

* Crewe 0
* Torquay 0

Corners

* Crewe 0
* Torquay 0

Fouls

* Crewe 0
* Torquay 0

Npower League Two
Venue: Alexandra Stadium Date: Saturday, 9 October Kick-off: 1500 BST
Coverage: BBC Sport website, BBC Radio 5 live, BBC local radio, Final Score & highlights on The Football League Show

TEAM NEWS

Crewe manager Dario Gradi will have to decide who to start up front ahead of the visit of Torquay.

Shaun Miller, AJ Leitch-Smith, Joel Grant and Clayton Donaldson are all battling to start in attack.

Torquay have completed the signing of QPR midfielder Joe Oastler on a one-month loan deal and he will be pushing for a start.

Fellow midfielder Damon Lathrope will be out until the end of the month with an ankle problem.

Dario Gradio told BBC Radio Stoke:
"Torquay are still probably more dangerous from long throws than anything else although they obviously did start well and we had a good game with them last year."

Keep the ball down, give it to O'Kane and Wroe, try and get Danny, Zebs and Benyon in behind. Ill go for a 2-2 draw.
westbaygull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by westbaygull »

HRG wrote:4-1-2-1-2?
Blimey, it gets more complicated every week. I may need to lie down for a minute. :)
9-1 is the simple solution. Unless, as our learned Frenchman says, we need to go at them, in which case, 1-9.

Happy, as ever, to help...
ferrarilover
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: You'll find out ;-)

Post by ferrarilover »

For those who have not seen: useless NW not even on the bench.

Matt.
J5 said, "ferrarilover is 100% correct"