A Review of or Squad after 14 League Games.

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
portugull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: lee mansell
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

A Review of or Squad after 14 League Games.

Post by portugull »

After last nights Match we have won 10 points from a possible 42 and have yet to win at Home.

We have 21 Players including 5 on Loan. I have excluded the youngsters out on Loan.

After watching Pre Season and 8 Home games including 1 F A Cup Match who would I keep?

Up to Standard. Jury Out Not Fit for Purpose Loans

Halstead Andrews McGavin Omar Hanson Marshall Donnellan Smith
Lovett De Silva
Hall Okoli
Moxey Goodwin
Lapslie Evans
Wyatt
Martin
Crowe
Jarvis

I have excluded Tomlinson because he has barely played.

Of the 5 Loans Will Goodwin has worked very hard with no service, Scott Smith is improving with every game & De Silva gives us what we lack that is pace. Chin Okoli really struggled against Alty and showed his inexperience. Evans is out injured but has real potential.

Our huge problem is defending with shape and in central defence we are woeful. Marshall is a total liability. In midfield Donnellan is so slow. Is he fit?

Andrews may come good as was clearly carrying an injury which requires surgery. McGavin is a puzzle. Has ability but is so slow. Is he overweight?

I like Ali Omar but his recent 2 games have seen his inexperience exposed. Hanson has been a huge disappointment.

We all know what we need and so does Gary but has he spent his budget? Time will tell but something has to give or we are doomed.
portugull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country

Post by portugull »

I am sorry but the format has not worked!
Under Jury Out should be Andrews, McGavin, Omar and Hanson.

Under Not Fit for Purpose are Marshall and Donnellan

Loans are Smith, De Silva, Okoli, Goodwin & Evans.
UnitedinDevon
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero

Post by UnitedinDevon »

portugull wrote: 23 Oct 2022, 14:29 I am sorry but the format has not worked!
Under Jury Out should be Andrews, McGavin, Omar and Hanson.

Under Not Fit for Purpose are Marshall and Donnellan

Loans are Smith, De Silva, Okoli, Goodwin & Evans.
Far too harsh on Donnellan, doesnt posess pace correct but hes calm and composed. The times when hes played at CB hes made a difference and last night he won numerous headers on the right hand side to get us going forward, think you need a rethink on that one
culmstockgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: stubbs
Watches from: Family Stand

Post by culmstockgull »

If we get 21 contributors to this thread then you can almost guarantee we will have 21 valid opinions, what we know is that this squad is not goood enough to survive in this league, several of them will come good, a couple have promise and the odd one has skill.We have the perpetual injury scenario's, players having to turn out at less than fit, and that is before we factor in suspensions, and they will come thick and fast the way we accumalate cards. It is perpetual jeopardy, we get a winger back and lose a defender.
Even with the four yesterday we average less than a goal a game and concede nigh on two.
Regardless of yours or my opinions these no hopers cannot be outed , they are on contracts and so the options for getting in quality tried and tested replacements is at best limited.
Yellow6
On the Bench
On the Bench

Post by Yellow6 »

culmstockgull wrote: 23 Oct 2022, 14:59 If we get 21 contributors to this thread then you can almost guarantee we will have 21 valid opinions, what we know is that this squad is not goood enough to survive in this league, several of them will come good, a couple have promise and the odd one has skill.We have the perpetual injury scenario's, players having to turn out at less than fit, and that is before we factor in suspensions, and they will come thick and fast the way we accumalate cards. It is perpetual jeopardy, we get a winger back and lose a defender.
Even with the four yesterday we average less than a goal a game and concede nigh on two.
Regardless of yours or my opinions these no hopers cannot be outed , they are on contracts and so the options for getting in quality tried and tested replacements is at best limited.
That's the spirit. Hopefully we lose every game to the end of the season, Gary gets the sack and the club goes bust. At least then you can revel that you were right all along. See you at the next game??......probably not. Then we can await your next expert armchair verdict.
portugull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country

Post by portugull »

UnitedinDevon I respect your view on Donnellan but if you look at MOTM for the season to date I could not find his name once. Says it all.
culmstockgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: stubbs
Watches from: Family Stand

Post by culmstockgull »

Yellow6 , I presume as you have just joined, either you have been banned from other forums or no one was listening to you under your other titles on this forum, I have not missed one game this season at home plus all the friendlies so no armchair critic, but a realist who enjoyed winning most games during our visit to the south I do not wish to re visit that league but that is what is going to happen unless changes are made, these players are not good enough and even if by happy chance you had any premier league manager you care to mention coaching them it would make very little if any difference.
toastkid
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: david graham

Post by toastkid »

Yellow6 has a point. Too many moaners and groaners. We are Gulls fans. If we wanted to support a team that just wins then we'd follow higher league sides. But we watch the gulls. Yesterday's match was brilliant. The drama, the atmosphere, even seeing loads of kids in the away end. We need to back the manager and the team. We are skint and Gary brought in the best he could for the money he had. We can all criticise or we can tough it out and support the team and the club, which is what we've done for years and there's never a dull moment. I struggle to remember better games than yesterday. Sills at Wembley, O'Riordan at City, Wes Saunders at Wembley. Now Crowes equaliser! Come on you yellows!
dawlishmatt
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Steve cooper

Post by dawlishmatt »

culmstockgull wrote: 23 Oct 2022, 15:57 Yellow6 , I presume as you have just joined, either you have been banned from other forums or no one was listening to you under your other titles on this forum, I have not missed one game this season at home plus all the friendlies so no armchair critic, but a realist who enjoyed winning most games during our visit to the south I do not wish to re visit that league but that is what is going to happen unless changes are made, these players are not good enough and even if by happy chance you had any premier league manager you care to mention coaching them it would make very little if any difference.
Culmstockgull I wouldn't boast about not missing a game this season, mind you yesterday was the first time I've seen Torquay play ( on the telly ) since the debacle I witnessed away at Bromley just over a year ago. I posted at the time that I would never go to a Torquay match while Gary Johnson remained as manager. Surprise Surprise, how right i was. 1 year has passed and the league table doesn't lie.
brucie
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by brucie »

No offence but if you put last nights match on a par with our 2-0 Wembley win you must have lost the plot.

Why on earth should we back the manager - he hasnt won a home game all season and possibly was in charge of the most inept 45 minutes I have ever seen in the first half. Not sure whether you saw the BT coverage but you should have listened to their pundits at half time.

Yes if you like loads of goals, comedy defending, and see us blowing a winning position with 5 minutes to go then it must of been great. What Altrincham showed in the second half was basically that they were as crap as we were. Half this division is made of poor teams that we should not be getting outplayed by every week..

Its nowhere near acceptable and if Johnson was at any other club he would be out on his arse for producing this abject garbage.
MellowYellow
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Tony Scott

Post by MellowYellow »

The thread is a review of the squad which has yet again imploded into the long-standing ridicule of our Non-League status with those who simply cannot understand why anyone would want to support our team unless they consistently win. Through all the ups and downs of Torquay and there have been many over the years, there is, nonetheless, something special about the club. The community feel and the sense of belonging is guaranteed at the club and the club does produce over the years it's fair share of fairy tales. We will never be the one's who hog the limelight, win the big trophies and sign the biggest superstars. And I for one am glad, as it comes with a cost. People on here complain about the extra £5 for the Derby game. Well having been to West Ham a few week ago where a pint of beer set me back £7.60, while a bottle of Coca-Cola cost a whopping £4.50, an extra £5 seems a small price to pay, if it helps the club. I guess I will alway support Torquay (through thick and thin) rather than simply select a random big-name team to support, with no emotional attachment to them, simply because I think they'll win trophies.
portugull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country

Post by portugull »

The point of my post toastkid was to say after 14 games our win percentage is 24% and if we do not improve we will be relegated.

In Football things can change very quickly and sometimes just 1 or 2 influential players can change everything.

Last night we saw how the experience of Asa Hall changed the game. He is a great example of a player near the end of his career who still wants to win games. We will not survive without change. As a Season Ticket holder having first attended Plainmoor in 1954, don't laugh, but its true, I have rarely seen us defend so badly as last night. The fact we scraped a draw was down to good fortune and the players fighting spirit led by Asa Hall.

We the fans deserve better and Gary and Aaron know better than any of us they have a massive job on their hands to turn this round.
SuperNickyWroe
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Andy Provan
Watches from: The sofa

Post by SuperNickyWroe »

MellowYellow wrote: 23 Oct 2022, 17:40 The thread is a review of the squad which has yet again imploded into the long-standing ridicule of our Non-League status with those who simply cannot understand why anyone would want to support our team unless they consistently win. Through all the ups and downs of Torquay and there have been many over the years, there is, nonetheless, something special about the club. The community feel and the sense of belonging is guaranteed at the club and the club does produce over the years it's fair share of fairy tales. We will never be the one's who hog the limelight, win the big trophies and sign the biggest superstars. And I for one am glad, as it comes with a cost. People on here complain about the extra £5 for the Derby game. Well having been to West Ham a few week ago where a pint of beer set me back £7.60, while a bottle of Coca-Cola cost a whopping £4.50, an extra £5 seems a small price to pay, if it helps the club. I guess I will alway support Torquay (through thick and thin) rather than simply select a random big-name team to support, with no emotional attachment to them, simply because I think they'll win trophies.
:goodpost:
Member of the Yorkshire Gulls Supporters Club - Proud Sponsors of Aaron Jarvis 2023-2024
We now drive South to all the games!

TUST Member 468

Mr Tea808
Out on Loan
Out on Loan

Post by Mr Tea808 »

I'd keep both keepers,and the lads from 21/22 season except Ali Omar who was extremely luckily to get a new deal,as for the summer signings that's a massive question to answer,this may sound blunt bordering on harsh,but probably none of them.The loan signings are ok to a degree,but more experience is needed,way more,in a heartbeat I'd get Mark Ellis in,that type of player is needed,Goodwin looks ok,Evans not seen enough of,Jarvis is 50/50 for me,more experience is needed,and quality,I still can't figure why, Bromley,Borehamwood, Solihull who aren't huge clubs are miles better than us, squad wise,
Chrisjb66
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by Chrisjb66 »

GJ will see out his contract and then exit. So that would please the moaners…presumably.