Nicky Wroe likely to STAY!

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
Millers
Trialist
Trialist

Post by Millers »

pac17 wrote: Rotherham did not pay 150k for Pope and i can't see him leaving Rotherham
Yes we did Pac. http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/footbal ... 082725.stm
tommyg
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Rodney Jack

Post by tommyg »

Wellswoodgull wrote:It stats in the HE (via a comment from a reader) that NW was caught out drinking and got into a fight in a nightclub!
Not quite right. I've pasted the exact comment below:

"What a load of twaddle, Wroe was caught by Buckle out drinking, report the truth instead of feeding us cr&p !! same as Benyon missing a game or 2 through a knee injury, I think you will find he was involved in a nightclub fight and was hurt in the jaw!!"

Personally I think the first five words sum up this reader's comment.
Modgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Alex Russell
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by Modgull »

Unfortunately NW has had his mind on other things for months now and his form simply did not justify his selection. PB actually showed a lot of loyalty towards him in picking him even when many on this board was calling for his head. Today's announcement makes good football and financial management sense and is probably good for the player too.

Let's move on and celebrate that with Manse showing fantastic effort and form and the promise of O'Kane and the other youngsters we will do better than with an out-of-form/disinterested NW.

The trouble is - what will Bansleygull do now???
Phil

Another marathon beckons!
Wellswoodgull
Trialist
Trialist
Favourite player: Lee Mansell

Post by Wellswoodgull »

Your right not exact, but I think I had the meat of it down, next time I will cut and paste the whole comment ;-) :P
CraigUnder
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero

Post by CraigUnder »

Modgull wrote:Unfortunately NW has had his mind on other things for months now and his form simply did not justify his selection. PB actually showed a lot of loyalty towards him in picking him even when many on this board was calling for his head. Today's announcement makes good football and financial management sense and is probably good for the player too.

Let's move on and celebrate that with Manse showing fantastic effort and form and the promise of O'Kane and the other youngsters we will do better than with an out-of-form/disinterested NW.

The trouble is - what will Bansleygull do now???
change his name? :)
Plymouth Gull

Post by Plymouth Gull »

I worry for our next captain, after NW, to be honest. Its a curse!
pac17
Trialist
Trialist

Post by pac17 »

millers

Rotherham did not pay 150k for Pope, 150k was the full price if all the add on were activated we paid 75k then the add on included so many goals and promotion(would have been 150k) which never happened on both accounts...
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Southampton Gull »

yellow wrote:
What a strange world it is.

NW might be transfer listed to maximise the fee for his services or it might be for a breach of club discipline.

My money is on the latter.

My money is on neither :lol:
Dave

Friend of TorquayFans.com
ferrarilover
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: You'll find out ;-)

Post by ferrarilover »

Oh Wellswoodgull, second post, are you joking?

Some people will believe anything. Yes, I'm sure NW was caught out drinking by the manager who, I'm certain, has nothing better to do with his time than trawl the bars and nightclubs of south Devon on the off chance that he comes accross one of his players. Equally, I'm sure that for the almighty offence of breaking curfew, NW would be immediately transfer listed with no thought given to the fact that he is the captain and this decision would demoralise the rest of the squad to the point of suicide.
This is definitely a much more likely scenario than Wroe rejecting a new contract and, with his current deal coming to an end in the summer, a prudent and financially astute board of directors making the joint decision with the manager to release a saleable (sp) asset 6 months early rather than utilising an increasingly less effective player and giving up on what could be a £50,000 transfer fee while continuing to pay him £1,000/week in salary.

Honestly, some people will believe any old tripe they are fed if it makes their (presumably very dull) lives that little bit more intersting.

For my tuppence worth, I have been saying for quite a while now (privately, of course) that NW has been getting worse and worse on the field. While I am certain that he is a class player, like everyone, if he is not happy at work, he won't perform to his best. He is not a leader of men, he is not a captain. We all know this so I shan't list his failings here, some men are born leaders, others are not, the talent of a manager is to identify which of his players has this quality and then nurture it to make that player a leader on the field, PB dropped the ball on this one and has now made the correct choice by installing Lamby as capt.

Matt.
J5 said, "ferrarilover is 100% correct"
Wellswoodgull
Trialist
Trialist
Favourite player: Lee Mansell

Post by Wellswoodgull »

Matt,

I am with you on this one, but I do feel if anyone crosses PB they are for the jump, I also feel there is nothing wrong with some displine!

H
Fletch
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Lorz

Post by Fletch »

Wellswoodgull wrote:Matt,

I am with you on this one, but I do feel if anyone crosses PB they are for the jump, I also feel there is nothing wrong with some displine!

H
Not so much as some people like to think Wellswood. If that was the case, there's at least another 3 players that wouldnt still be at the club...
westbaygull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by westbaygull »

...raises a quizzical eyebrow before returning to flick through Heat magazine....
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

westbaygull wrote:...raises a quizzical eyebrow before returning to flick through Heat magazine....
Heat magazine jane,try womans own much better read :Oops: :)
Formerly known as forevertufc
Jeff
Plays for Country
Plays for Country

Post by Jeff »

Going OT very slightly, but with all this talk of Bucks having to "shuffle the pack", does anyone else think that Kieran Charnock could be the next one ushered towards the door?

Now don't get me wrong, I'm basing this on nothing other than theory and I've nothing against Kieran Charnock. Quite the opposite in fact, I think he's a decent player and certainly league 2/conference standard, only kept out of our side by the Branston-Ellis partnership. Which leads me to think he's too good to languish as our 3rd or 4th choice centre back. We signed him from money-bags Peterborough, so I bet he's not come cheap. And also he openly talked about the fact he would have to move a long way from his family to join us.

I believe he is out of contract in the summer, so with the current predicament it could be a good time to cash in. Accrington were upset they he didn't sign for them, plus there are a host of clubs in his native North-West (Wrexham, Southport, Altrincham, Fleetwood, to a lesser extent Barrow) who I'm sure he could do a very decent job for.

Admittedly a prospective departure would leave us weak of cover at the back - it would rely on us moving Robbo inside and Manse back into the RB slot. But I'm led to believe that Oastler can play Centre back, plus we have young Ed Palmer as cover. Neither would be as good technically as Charnock, but to me he seems to be an expensive luxury in the current climate to be languishing on the bench.

Thoughts?
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Southampton Gull »

I think he's highly valued by the management team and as you said, is only kept out of the side by the excellent partnership of Branston and Ellis. I think we have a more saleable asset in Ellis and I wouldn't be surprised if he moved on when the transfer window opens, leaving the way clear for Charnock to resume first team duties. I know where you're coming from but I expect him to stay, at least until the summer.
Dave

Friend of TorquayFans.com