Torquay United v Aldershot Town 24/8/19

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
YorkshireGully
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Reidy

Post by YorkshireGully »

Jesus I've been away for 12 months we were in a chip shop league a manager getting drink poured over him and your saying it's only encouraging what more do you want COYY :scarf:
Road2League2
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: The Lemon

Post by Road2League2 »

YorkshireGully wrote: 24 Aug 2019, 23:02

Been away for 12 months just got out 🤔 what a difference 12 months make you lot all calling Reidy now look top goal scorer . Camper van up and running again should be down at Barnet Monday if Road2League2 wants to stay over, gerb & Knight rider also welcome 😂 :scarf:
Hi yorkshiregully great to hear that you're back out, how things have changed. Would love to stay the night in your camper, will meet you outside boots and laces, if you're not still barred. COYY
ROAD TO LEAGUE 2 :keepie:
madgull
First Regular
First Regular

Post by madgull »

Road2League2 wrote: 24 Aug 2019, 20:23 Just having a laugh at everyone singing Reidy’s praises. Half of you wanted him gone last year and abused him on Twitter. I stuck by him the whole time. You know who you are. COYY
I mean...
madgull wrote: 17 Oct 2017, 23:07 I totally agree, he has that spark in him that teams long for, but - tellingly for the level he is at - he is incredibly frustrating to watch as he is a long way from the finished product. He reminds me of Theo Walcott; always seems to be in two minds about what he should do, he really needs to learn to just get the ball and say 'right, I'm gonna cut in and shoot' or 'I'm gonna beat him and cross'. We don't need him to be a miracle worker, just single-minded; look at players like Arjen Robben, you KNOW he is gonna cut inside and try to shoot or lay it off, he only really succeeds in a small number of attempts, but he gives the opposition a nightmare and pulls them out of position because he COMMITS to it.

I think he gets a lot of stick because he is in one of those positions that by nature are more likely to lose the ball; most positions can get away with playing the easy ball, but he will always stand out because he has to make the hard pass or the run. The right words in his ear and the right commitment to improving would get him a long way.
Turns out giving him the simple job was as effective as I said it would be! :)
Road2League2
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: The Lemon

Post by Road2League2 »

madgull wrote: 24 Aug 2019, 23:35 I mean...
Turns out giving him the simple job was as effective as I said it would be! :)
Yeah fair enough MadGull, one of the few who stuck with Reidy and had faith. Poor Yorkshiregully has been banged up for last 12 months so wasn't able to see Reidy's progression. More than welcome on our camper on Monday, outside Boots &Laces. COYY
ROAD TO LEAGUE 2 :keepie:
YorkshireGully
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Reidy

Post by YorkshireGully »

COYY :scarf:
Forest gull
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero
Favourite player: Steve Cooper
Watches from: Pop side

Post by Forest gull »

Being in 7th place is a decent start considering we have played four teams above us already.
greb46
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: Les Lawrence

Post by greb46 »

Merse is a good judge of a decent player though he's gone awol preferring his own site!
Swatcat
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Paul Gibbs

Post by Swatcat »

Let's not forget Jamie Reid's tally so far this season includes a worldie, yesterday's cracker and Gawd 'elp us, a header no less. Well done Jamie.
Uptongull
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: David Graham

Post by Uptongull »

Cameron the MOTM for me.
Niate a close second. One thing you can say is Niate gives 100% and I think people forget just how much of a physical specimen he is. So strong and can compete with the lumps up front on a physical level.
I was disappointed with the gate. Thought it may have hit 3k. But I guess liverpool were on Sky. People may have been away for the Bank Holiday or may just have been too late for some people. Some fans may have had evening jobs in pubs/hotels and restaurants etc.
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Southampton Gull »

I've always felt there was a good player inside Reid and he's never one to give up so for his commitment alone he deserves praise. That finish yesterday was a sign he's becoming that finished article. If he keeps it up he could well earn us a considerable amount of money as goalscorers are the holy grail for scouts all over the world.
Dave

Friend of TorquayFans.com
Modgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Alex Russell
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by Modgull »

I agree with Dave. That's not to say he didn't frustrate me - what he seems to have done is cut out the more fussy part of his game, trying to dribble round everyone and is now more direct when he receives the ball. I think he could still benefit from playing alongside a true target man though.
Phil

Another marathon beckons!
Shot By Both Sides
New Signing
New Signing
Favourite player: Alex Finney

Post by Shot By Both Sides »

brooker wrote: 23 Aug 2019, 10:41 I think the attendance will be lowered slightly by the tv coverage, and can't see many shots fans planning to travel on their forum.
212. Somebody can't count. Only heard your lot when you scored and towards the end.

But it's points that matter and you hardly had to turn up, we wouldn't have scored if we'd stayed there until midnight.

Cut us to ribbons second half but if you can only beat us 2-0 I'd be pretty concerned.

Best of luck though I don't think you'll be pulling up any trees this season.

But great people, both in B&L and around the ground after the game.

Proper decent football fans. ;-)

www.calling-the-shots.com
grockle
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Willie Brown

Post by grockle »

How the f**k do you keep beating W**king? :clap: Keep it up though. :keepie:
fred
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: Aaron downs

Post by fred »

A good home win. Played some good football at times. My only slight criticism was our failure to go on and score 3 or 4!! They were there for the taking after 60 minutes or so, but I felt we started to over complicate things in the middle and perhaps play too many passes. Aldershot were poor today but certainly won't be the worst in this league. Thought we dealt with their physical presence early which earned us the right to play our game. All in all a good day out at Plainmoor and 7th place is pretty good at this stage!!!
Shot By Both Sides
New Signing
New Signing
Favourite player: Alex Finney

Post by Shot By Both Sides »

grockle wrote: 25 Aug 2019, 09:23 How the f**k do you keep beating W**king? :clap: Keep it up though. :keepie:
No idea. Wish we could beat somebody else. :devil: