Dartford v Torquayunited 4/12/18

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
Modgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Alex Russell
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by Modgull »

Minneapolisgull wrote: 05 Dec 2018, 04:41 Another fantastic result. You really cannot believe the job Gary Johnson has done. I mean did anyone!come be honest think we would be top of the league so soon after he took over? It really is just incredible. Its a real testament that we managed to get him to Torquay. In the cold light of the day It really did not take too many years for us to sink so low. Under GJ it really could not take to many years for us to rise right back up to where we belong... Back in the football league in 2020. In Gary we trust!

How many times have we been able to sing " We are top of the league I Say we are top of the league" Let's get used to it!!!
Well I for one am not surprised. It is years since we had a 'proper' manager and this guy has one of the best records in the lower leagues. I would actually have been surprised if our squad of full-time pros and talented youngsters had not bounced back under his leadership. It just goes to show what disastrous decisions they were to appoint Knill, Hargreaves, Nicholson and - particularly - Owers.
Phil

Another marathon beckons!
brucie
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by brucie »

Hi phil - are you still in self imposed exile, if so I suggest you get yourself up to Plainmoor on Saturday because having witnessed the two 4-1 home wins you will see some excellent football.
gateman49
Skipper
Skipper
Favourite player: George McBrearty

Post by gateman49 »

video up on the league site
http://www.thenationalleague.org.uk/videos
desperado
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs

Post by desperado »

You would hope we would get 2500 on Saturday, we are playing good football, scoring goals and winning matches. Ok it's a low level but entertaining and good value for £13. What more do people want. Apart from us Woking are the best team I have seen this season but when you see Concord in 4th place 3 points behind us it makes you think - we were about 2 leagues better than them.
SuperNickyWroe
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Andy Provan
Watches from: The sofa

Post by SuperNickyWroe »

dawlishmatt wrote: 04 Dec 2018, 22:43 Well it's been roughly 2 years since Clarke Osbourne saved our club and i would like to give an assessment on his ownership of our beloved TUFC and his much criticised 5 year plan to take torquay back into the football league. Although there has been a few hiccups along the way, i believe that Mr Osbourne is well on the way to sucessfully fullfill his plan. After 4 games last season, with the team struggling, the manager Kevin nicholson was in my humble opinion rightly sacked. As Osbourne has stated right from the start that he knew little about football, he appointed a man with over 30 years experence to run the club, Geoff Harrop. Harrop eventually appointed Gary Owers as manager, a decision that proved to be a total disaster ending in relegation to the confrence south. Dispite this major setback, Osbourne promised to keep the club full time, the only full time club in the league and nothing short of promotion this season would be acceptable. When things started to go wrong at the start of this season, Owers was sacked and within 24 hours, probably one of the best managers in the lower leagues, Gary Johnson was to my and i imagine everyone elses surrprise, appointed manager.
In the last week or so, Osbourne has begun to assemble a local board of directors, as promised and on the playing side, the team have tonight had a fantastic victory at Dartford and find themselves top of the league and playing great football.
I know that we should not get carried away in all the excitement, we are not even half way through the season yet, but after 2 years of Clarke Osboune's ownership and considerable finance invested in the club, i would give him 10/10.
interesting summary.
10/10? are you related to Uncle Clarke?
have you read previous threads about him?
you are right that he has financed the club, but he is speculating to accumulate. His "five year plan" consists of obtaining plainmoor, moving us out and building a new stadium by 2020???, then charging us rent. the problem being of course he has said this before and has never actually achieved it by building anything.
so i find your 10/10 way off the mark.
Member of the Yorkshire Gulls Supporters Club - Proud Sponsors of Aaron Jarvis 2023-2024
We now drive South to all the games!

TUST Member 468

Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Southampton Gull »

Spot on, Chris!!
Dave

Friend of TorquayFans.com
Launceston Gull
On the Bench
On the Bench
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by Launceston Gull »

Great result last night and 2 excellent finishes from Keating and Reidy. Gulls flying high. 5 of our next 6 league games are at Plainmoor so a real opportunity to turn the screw on our competition.
knightmaregull
Out on Loan
Out on Loan

Post by knightmaregull »

[/quote]

interesting summary.
10/10? are you related to Uncle Clarke?
have you read previous threads about him?
you are right that he has financed the club, but he is speculating to accumulate. His "five year plan" consists of obtaining plainmoor, moving us out and building a new stadium by 2020???, then charging us rent. the problem being of course he has said this before and has never actually achieved it by building anything.
so i find your 10/10 way off the mark.
[/quote]

:goodpost:
brucie
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by brucie »

From Boxing Day we have FOUR home games in 10 days (including the Truro away game)

With no travelling whatsoever in this period this should give us a massive advantage.
SBP
Vice Captain
Vice Captain

Post by SBP »

Lets hope the pitch is going to cope with this!
CP Gull
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: Luke Young

Post by CP Gull »

brucie wrote: 05 Dec 2018, 13:32 From Boxing Day we have FOUR home games in 10 days (including the Truro away game)

With no travelling whatsoever in this period this should give us a massive advantage.
Agreed.

If we can win the next two games - Welling (h) and Hampton & Richmond (a) - we will definitely still be top at Christmas. Those FOUR home games ..... Truro (h); Gloucester(h); Truro (a) and Slough (h) then give us a fantastic opportunity to rack up some serious points and potentially stretch our lead at the top to something quite substantial. As the only full time team in the League and with zero travelling over the busy Xmas/New Year period, that run represents a massive opportunity for us and one in which we really should try and pick up as many points as possible .... hopefully 10 or even 12 pts certainly looks achieveable.

Of course as we go into January there are potential pitfalls, like the loss of one or two of the BCFC loanees (Evans in particular I would imagine) and even the possibility of League clubs coming in for the likes of Jamie Reid - whose goalscoring record over the last few months will have attracted some interest no doubt.

Exciting times though! :scarf:
gateman49
Skipper
Skipper
Favourite player: George McBrearty

Post by gateman49 »

SBP wrote: 05 Dec 2018, 13:36 Lets hope the pitch is going to cope with this!
My lawn isn't, there are puddles everywhere, fingers crossed for some dry weather.
nickbrod
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Watches from: Family Stand

Post by nickbrod »

gateman49 wrote: 05 Dec 2018, 13:51 My lawn isn't, there are puddles everywhere, fingers crossed for some dry weather.
Let's hope too that our temporary in-charge groundsman has inherited Chris Ralph's magic touch.
dawlishmatt
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Steve cooper

Post by dawlishmatt »

No I'm not related to Clarke Osborne or have any connection with the club other than being a supporter for nearly 50 years. I believe that Osborne was harshly criticised the moment his company Gaming international was mentioned, way before he saved the club.
As I have already posted, part of Osbourne's 5 year plan was to make Torquay self financing at the end of the five year period.
So what if he buys plainmoor and builds a huge block of flats on the ground? There are dozens of football clubs from all leagues who have moved home in recent history. If moving to a new stadium or whatever eventually happens in the years ahead, I'm sure that returning to the football league, I believe league 1 is the goal , most TUFC supporter's dont give a damn what's in it for Mr
Osborne. If he makes millions out of his project ( which I know is not football related ), then good luck to him.
PrestonGull
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by PrestonGull »

Gary Johnson interview on Talksport this afternoon. On hawksbee and Jacobs between now and 1600