FA Trophy

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
Gloomy Gull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Watches from: Pop side

Post by Gloomy Gull »

taxilady wrote:not on the OS yet.............

You sound surprised :|
PlainmoorRoar
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Lee Mansell

Post by PlainmoorRoar »

Gloomy Gull wrote:At least we have home advantage for the 2nd leg.
Whatever the draw this is what I wanted!

TUFC vs Bath in the final would be a good occasion!
TUFC FACEBOOK PAGE - https://www.facebook.com/insideplainmoor
TUFC TWITTER PAGE - https://twitter.com/TUFC1899

Torquay United Supporters Trust member - Join the TUST now!
brucie
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by brucie »

Errr why on earth would you want the hardest draw left in the competition? - obviously we would have wanted the easiest draw to get to the final.
We have been lucky so far but our luck appears to have run out. That said neither of our opponents are actually that good and in three games against them so far this season we have won two and drawn one.
Its probably a fifty-fifty coin toss as to who gets through. I would prefer Wrexham as they are the poorer of the two sides.
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Southampton Gull »

Err, I think he was hinting that he wanted us to be at home for the second leg.....................
Dave

Friend of TorquayFans.com
gullintwoplaces
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Mark Loram

Post by gullintwoplaces »

Southampton Gull wrote:Err, I think he was hinting that he wanted us to be at home for the second leg.....................
Exactly. Home in the second leg is a plus.
PlainmoorRoar
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Lee Mansell

Post by PlainmoorRoar »

Jesus Brucie, it was pretty clear!

Whoever you play in the semi it won't be easy, if Dover get through that wouldn't have been an easy game, unbeaten in a crazy run of games bet recently!

got to keep it tight away from home and take a chance if we get one, then go for it at home!
TUFC FACEBOOK PAGE - https://www.facebook.com/insideplainmoor
TUFC TWITTER PAGE - https://twitter.com/TUFC1899

Torquay United Supporters Trust member - Join the TUST now!
Behind-the-Gulls
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs

Post by Behind-the-Gulls »

Halifax had their match v Dartford switched to Droylsden on Saturday-less than 500 turned-up!
diamondgirl
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero
Favourite player: Aaron Downes

Post by diamondgirl »

Can't remember, but do away goals count double, at any stage?
"Thing's turn out best when you make the best of the way thing's turn out."
CP Gull

Post by CP Gull »

Ok, so probably not the draw we would have chosen - but at least, as others have said, we are at home for the 2nd leg.

Personally, I would prefer Wrexham - but I think home advantage may just swing their tie in favour of FC Halifax.

I don't think there is anybody who we can't beat in this League and when you consider that we have won at the likes of Barnet, Grimsby and should have won at Bristol Rovers too and that so far only the best that this division has (Barnet, Grimsby and Bristol Rovers ironically) have actually managed to beat us at home all season - suggests to me that we have every chance of progressing to the final.

Should we progress, it's one of Dover/Bath or North Ferriby in the final. I really like the idea of a TUFC v Bath final and think they would travel in decent numbers too. That said, if we are looking to maximise any money made from the Final then a greater attendance might be achieved if Dover were to progress as they are that bit closer to Wembley! Either way, I cannot see anything like the 40,000 that turned up for the final against Ebbsfleet last time around!
Gullscorer
Legend
Legend

Post by Gullscorer »

diamondgirl wrote:Can't remember, but do away goals count double, at any stage?
No, away goals don’t count double. If the aggregate score is level at the end of the second leg, extra time will be played, then penalties if necessary. Full FA Trophy rules can be found via this link:
http://search.thefa.com/search?q=FA+Tro ... 3&entqrm=0
tomogull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Colin Bettany

Post by tomogull »

Gullscorer wrote:Semi-final draw takes place tomorrow, Monday 9 February at 1pm. The teams are:

Torquay United
North Ferriby United
Dover Athletic or Bath City (4th Round replay at Bath Tuesday 10 February 7:45pm.)
Halifax Town or Wrexham (4th Round tie at Halifax Tuesday 10 February 7:45pm.)

Semi-final ties to be played over two legs on Saturday 21 February and Saturday 28 February.

Assuming they beat Dover in their replay, I'd like to see us play Bath City (who beat Bristol Rovers in the First Round Proper at the Memorial Stadium on 13 December) in the Semi. They are our nearest club in the competition and should give us two well attended 'local' Derbies, with a reasonably good chance of us reaching the Final. It's a long haul to North Ferriby, Wrexham and Halifax..

The Final takes place at Wembley on Sunday 29 March.

:scarf: :scarf: :scarf: :scarf: :scarf: :scarf: :scarf: :scarf: :scarf: :scarf:
Thanks for this info Gullscorer - very useful. Gives me plenty of time to come up with a good excuse if the missus wants any jobs/shopping done on the 28th February !!!! Cheers ! :clap:
Behind-the-Gulls
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs

Post by Behind-the-Gulls »

CP Gull wrote:Ok, so probably not the draw we would have chosen - but at least, as others have said, we are at home for the 2nd leg.

Personally, I would prefer Wrexham - but I think home advantage may just swing their tie in favour of FC Halifax.

I don't think there is anybody who we can't beat in this League and when you consider that we have won at the likes of Barnet, Grimsby and should have won at Bristol Rovers too and that so far only the best that this division has (Barnet, Grimsby and Bristol Rovers ironically) have actually managed to beat us at home all season - suggests to me that we have every chance of progressing to the final.

Should we progress, it's one of Dover/Bath or North Ferriby in the final. I really like the idea of a TUFC v Bath final and think they would travel in decent numbers too. That said, if we are looking to maximise any money made from the Final then a greater attendance might be achieved if Dover were to progress as they are that bit closer to Wembley! Either way, I cannot see anything like the 40,000 that turned up for the final against Ebbsfleet last time around!
There hasn't been a bigger gate for the FA Trophy final since that game and looking at the teams left in and their support,plus the distances involved,its hard to see many more than 15-20,000 turning up.Makes you wonder if the FA should stage this at a premiership ground in the future-in Midlands or London possibly. Better a lower-capacity ground half-full than a three-quarters empty Wembley.
AlexGulls
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Chris McPhee

Post by AlexGulls »

You could say the same for the FA Vase really..I went last season and they only opened one stand for it but I guess it makes it more worthwhile trying to get to the final for a trip to Wembley a trip to somewhere like Fulham doesn't really have the same affect...

As for the draw having home advantage in the second leg is a plus but whoever we got would of been tough really.
RussianGull
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero

Post by RussianGull »

Wanted North Ferriby, only an hour up the road, but Wrexham/Halifax are doable, if we do well in the first leg I'll probably come to Devon for the return fixture. I'd rather have Halifax than Wrexham as I'd like to watch Pearson play COYY