Retained List 2022/23

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
desperado
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs

Post by desperado »

Can't see many of the non signers moving up a level, if they do they could be on the bench a lot.
Would MacDonald for instance rather be a regular starter for us or on the bench for a league two side with more money in his pocket ?
happytorq
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Kevin Hill
Watches from: The sofa

Post by happytorq »

Wolborough wrote: 31 May 2022, 18:46 Correct BUT I suspect he will find another club and that a compensation agreement will be achieved (sadly)!
Johnson said nobody's been on the phone for him yet. I mean, that doesn't mean much - chances are nobody will call until they've spoken to Lewis himself and agreed a deal in principle. I do expect him to go, and I wouldn't be surprised if he ended up either at a League 2 side (he's young with good experience at the top end of the NL) or to an existing national league side looking for promotion. possibly even Wrexham, who based on the weekend's evidence are in dire need of somebody who can defend set pieces.
Images for Avatar Copyright Historical Football Kits and reproduced by kind permission.

Eam non defectum. Ego potest tractare quod. Est spes occidit me.
Nightrider
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Rodney jack

Post by Nightrider »

Will end up like covolan at port Vale,better money but just warmed the bench during the play offs
MellowYellow
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Tony Scott

Post by MellowYellow »

I liked Johnson using his 'get out of jail' card when asked about the marquee signings. Basically they're not marquee players yet, but will be once they play for Torquay next season. Who would have thought.
Wolborough
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs

Post by Wolborough »

Wow another Joe Felix might be discovered!
MellowYellow
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by MellowYellow »

Nothing wrong with talent - at least the club had the sense to give Gabby Rogers a two year deal.
Gull in black
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Lee Mansell
Watches from: Pop side

Post by Gull in black »

It does feel like the ‘worst case scenario’ has landed.

I hope the players who have decided to leave get EFL clubs. Looking at the progress made by some who left for NL clubs this time last year - they may not have made the best career moves.

If anyone can attract the players we need for next season; Gary can - it feels like a long time until 1 July … and then a short time until PSFs start.
dawlishmatt
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Steve cooper

Post by dawlishmatt »

I am happy that several players have turned down new contract offers with the club. Connor Lemonheigh Evans has been at the club for around 5 years. He joined the club in 2018 as a loanee from Bristol City. The National league is his level, he never kicked on from the exciting prospect he seemed 5 years ago. CLE has never played in the football league, he is 25 years old now and unlikely to improve. Likewise, Ben Wynter has never played in the football league and has been with the Gulls for 4 years and is now 24. Shaun McDonald who is 25 years old and also has never played above the National League. Joe Lewis again has never played above this level but aged 22 i guess that there is scope for improvement. Concerning Danny Wright, many people have already commented that to make the play offs next season we will need our main striker to score at least 20 goals. aged 37, this is never going to happen. Having only played 74 times in the football league, he won promotion with Cheltenham, Wright was hardly prolific at hitting the back of the net at league 2 level. Making 74 appearances in league 2, scoring just 12 goals in 2 seasons, to me it seems that league 2 was above his level. Amarni Little is also 25 years old and has played just one match in the football league with Oxford United. In my opinion we need players of football league standard to be serious contenders for promotion next season. It's unlikely that Uncle Clarke will provide Gary Johnson with the budget to match the likes of Wrexham, Notts County and the other big spenders in the league next season.
Chrisjb66
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by Chrisjb66 »

DawlishMatt’s reviews of players who are leaving is a bit caustic . There are countless examples of players who have gone to more senior clubs at age 25 and thrived. I wish them all the very best.
Uncle Clarke faces the inevitable lot of most owners- to prosper in any league you need to pump money in to retain key players ( who want to progress in monetary terms). We face the inevitable task of acquiring good new players who once we have assisted in their development they’ll be off. We are a good club, one which will forever hover around National and League One. Further expectations are laughable there to be unfulfilled . Up the Gulls!
MellowYellow
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by MellowYellow »

I also have a different take than DawlishMatt as I believe that Lemonheigh-Evans, Little and Lewis were the nucleus of our side and will be sorely missed. As for making the grade in the EFL they are at their prime to kick-on in their career and believe the will be a great asset to their next club. Whilst I can live with Wynter. McDonald and Wright moving on they all have nonetheless been great servants to our club and wish them all well in their future endeavours. In monetary terms aside from Notts and Wrexham I believe our offer to Evans, Little and Lewis was extremely generous and would not have been bettered by the other National League clubs. As for promotion contenders it goes without saying that we need players of a good standard but I'd happily take a young non-league Jamie Vardy over a football league journeyman like Karl Hawley.
thebigp1
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by thebigp1 »

MellowYellow wrote: 01 Jun 2022, 09:51 I also have a different take than DawlishMatt as I believe that Lemonheigh-Evans, Little and Lewis were the nucleus of our side and will be sorely missed. As for making the grade in the EFL they are at their prime to kick-on in their career and believe the will be a great asset to their next club. Whilst I can live with Wynter. McDonald and Wright moving on they all have nonetheless been great servants to our club and wish them all well in their future endeavours. In monetary terms aside from Notts and Wrexham I believe our offer to Evans, Little and Lewis was extremely generous and would not have been bettered by the other National League clubs. As for promotion contenders it goes without saying that we need players of a good standard but I'd happily take a young non-league Jamie Vardy over a football league journeyman like Karl Hawley.
I tend to agree with this. I really don’t think the team from last season was that far away from competing at the top end of the league as shown by our results against many of the big sides. We lacked a proper goal scorer and options from the bench and after our start we’re just too far adrift. Little scored 15 last season and CLE 11 and the problem we have now is it’s essentially a complete rebuild of the side, instead of possibly being able to find 2-3 players that could have made the difference.

The only positive I see is that the club have known for a while these players were not staying. Given they would have been the top earners and by our standards offered decent contracts there must be some room in the budget to recruit some decent replacements. I can only hope GJ has identified the right players and they want to come to us.
dawlishmatt
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Steve cooper

Post by dawlishmatt »

I agree that several the players leaving are good players. I voted little for player of the year and agree both CLE and Mc Donald had good seasons. My argument is that this is non league football. I believe that the players I've mentioned would struggle to get many games with most league 1 & 2 sides next season.
knightmaregull
Out on Loan
Out on Loan

Post by knightmaregull »

Time will tell on the players who have left. I just hope they all get L2 clubs and give it a go though. I see no reason why any of them should be written off.

The most important signing was GJ himself. It's a fact of life these days that we will the annual churn of players and so having someone with his experience is critical.

The fact is we've been spoilt by relative stability and success in recent years. I'd urge all to not lose sight of the many periods of dark years over our history and just enjoy the ride. We may be in tier 5 but I'd argue we are better off than many of our league years!

I am certainly one of those fearing what the future will hold in terms of owner's plans but for now am grateful for a professional club to follow and the man in charge of the playing side of it.
Admiral
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero

Post by Admiral »

dawlishmatt wrote: 01 Jun 2022, 13:09 I agree that several the players leaving are good players. I voted little for player of the year and agree both CLE and Mc Donald had good seasons. My argument is that this is non league football. I believe that the players I've mentioned would struggle to get many games with most league 1 & 2 sides next season.
Too often do you hear ‘he should be playing in league one/two’. The reality is playing EFL football is a big jump, I’d say only CLE and Lewis could cut it in the football league. All mentioned are big losses, perhaps with the exception of Wright. Gary’s done this many times before and I’m sure he’ll build a competitive side. Lapslie signing a big plus, Mox too
Admiral
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero

Post by Admiral »

Also, when Buckle built his squad in the first year in the conference he only had 4 players