Torquay United Top 100 Matches

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
Behind-the-Gulls
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs

Post by Behind-the-Gulls »

I remember this for the massive celebration sing-song in Boots and Laces before the match-"We are staying-up" etc.and for a speech by Ian Atkins in B&L after the match-thanking us for our support.
samuel
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: colin bettany

Post by samuel »

This was a bad day for me. I had to go to a wedding at Wembury, wife would not let me go to the match under any circumstances. During the speeches I was watching the scores on my mobile when a woman stabbed me in the leg with a fork because I wasn't paying attention, leaving 4 tine marks in my left thigh. I don't think she meant to do it so hard but even still........
Plymouth Gull

Post by Plymouth Gull »

JOINT 111th: Torquay United 4 - 1 Rochdale - 1994/95

1 point, 1 vote

Football Division 3
22nd October 1994
Plainmoor
Attendance: 2547

Torquay scorers: Gregory Goodridge (2), Kevin Hodges, Ian Hathaway
Rochdale scorer: Andy Thackeray

----

This was what looks like a comfortable win over Rochdale in the autumn of 1994. Over 2500 fans into Plainmoor (even that feels a lifetime away these days!), saw the Gulls find the net four times. This was before my time and I'm struggling to find line ups for this one, so I can't really comment on it much, to be honest.
Chris B
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Eunan O'Kane

Post by Chris B »

The Rochdale game above was my no.10, and whilst I don't expect it to mean anything anyone else, it was not only my first Torquay match, but also the first professional match I attended.

Such a convincing win and an uncharacteristically joyful Plainmoor crowd left a lasting impression on me as a football obsessed 7 year old. Considering the tribulations of the following 20+ years, this game has a lot to answer for!
Plymouth Gull

Post by Plymouth Gull »

JOINT 111th: FC Halifax 0 - 2 Torquay United - 2014/15

1 point, 1 vote

Vanarama National League
18th April 2015
The Shay
Attendance: 1175 (128 Gulls)

Torquay:
Dan Lavercombe, Aaron Dawson, Aaron Downes, Krystian Pearce, Levi Ives, Kadell Daniel, Ben Harding, James McQuilkin (Courtney Richards), Toby Ajala, Ashley Yeoman, Louis Briscoe (John Campbell). Subs not used: Martin Rice, Luke Young, Olivier Gueguen.

Torquay scorers: John Campbell, Kadell Daniel.
----

As you can probably guess, this match is one of the very few that make the list that have occurred in recent seasons. This was an end of season fixture whereby we had middled out into nothingness (for the first time in years!). It's another game I didn't go to, so feel hard pressed to comment on. However, I remember the highlights and Kadell Daniel scored an absolute peach of a free kick.

Highlights here:
DaveysBarTab
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: none right now

Post by DaveysBarTab »

Bloggy wrote:Likewise. Really hard to pick out a bunch... like choosing top ten music tracks (or even favourite child from my three sons)! Virtually impossible.
So these are memorable for various reasons.
1. 08/09 Cambridge (Wembley) 2:0 Hargreaves, Sills
Apart from being ripped off by the Wembley prices it was a great day (and result).

2. 00/01 Barnet (A) 2:3 Hill, Rees, Graham
Almost didn't get into the ground as we'd been in a pub off Barnet High Street for too long. Got a kiss off Hells Bells as we raced up the steps to the back of a wobbly away end. Tears of joy at the end. No nails left. Laughed at the half time streakers.

3. 03/04 Northampton (A) 0:1 Fowler
Blazing hot day. Almost didn't leave the pub garden as it was blissfully hot and wonderful. First game of our promo season and certainly underdogs to Northampton. Lee Cannoville rousing the fans behind the goal after a goal line clearance.

4.09/10 Rochdale (H) 5:0 Rendell, Benyon (2), Wroe, Carayol
One of the many visits to the Crown & Sceptre pre match and a good chat with table topping Dale fans. Only one spoke of his fear that they'd get beat and laughed at by all his mates.

5. 98/99 Halifax (H) 4:0 Robinson, Donaldson, Hill, Bedeau
Capital Gulls sponsored match and a motley crew assembled in the box next to the directors. All on best behavior of course. (And when you consider who was in our box, that was quite an achievement)!

6. 97/98 Brighton (A) 1:4 Roberts (2), Gurney, Jack
Played at Gillingham. Another Capital Gulls away day handing out CG leaflets to the travelling fans. Every time we went forward, we looked like scoring. Roberts and Jack were awesome!

7. 97/98 Leyton Orient (A) 2:1 McFarlane
Desperate day in the capital. Needed a point and a frantic goal mouth scramble couldn't produce the equaliser for playoff (I think).

8. 93/94 Northampton (A) 0:1 Darby
One of my first ever games. Living locally (MK) and meeting up with the likes of Hayden, Cav and Hells Bells (with their drums). Could have sworn it was Goodridge who scored though.

9. 93/94 Wycombe (A) 1:1 Sale
Wycombe's first season in League football. Remember some Cardiff fans in our corner because their game was cancelled and the sky diver getting stuck in the trees behind up before the kick off.

10. 94/95 Hartlepool (H) 2:2 Sturridge, Kelly
Could be my first home game (not sure). Pitch was a mud bath. Long way for the pool to travel at Christmas! Sat with the old folks in the main stand.

Plenty more from my time travelling with the CG's and the Bateson era. Happy days.
That 2-2 with hartlepool. One of my first ever games. Sturridge was awesome in that loan spell. I remember hearing Bateson could of bought him for 50k and the same with Jason Roberts. Could of been bull though
Plymouth Gull

Post by Plymouth Gull »

JOINT 111th: Torquay United 4 - 1 Forest Green Rovers - 2015/16

1 point, 1 vote

Vanarama National League
26th December 2015
Plainmoor
Attendance: 2051

Torquay:
Dan Lavercombe, Durrell Berry, Nathan Smith, Ben Gerring, Kevin Nicholson (Josh Carmichael), Courtney Richards, Aman Verma, Dan Butler, Simon Heslop, Andre Wright (Sean Finch), Tyrone Marsh (Louis Briscoe). Subs not used: Scott Corderoy, Exodus Geohaghon.

Torquay scorers: Tyrone Marsh (2), Durrell Berry, Andre Wright
FGR scorers: Keanu Marsh-Brown

----

Well, I wasn't expecting any matches from this season to feature. Although if there was to be any, it was this one. We all know the situation the club was in going into this match - against an inform team who should really be rolling us over. After a positive but goalless 20 minutes, FGR score from their first foray forward. The Gulls bounce back straight from kickoff, and go ahead before half time. Two goals in the final 10 really add the icing on the cake for the fans and players, as they enjoy a great result.

The atmosphere in the final 20 minutes or so was excellent - it felt like there was no pressure on the players or fans, and it got even better after the third and fourth goals. Unfortunately it was a positive 'blip' (if there is such a thing) in terms of results, but it was a good Boxing Day game to watch, for all that were there.

Highlights:
Plymouth Gull

Post by Plymouth Gull »

JOINT 111th: Torquay United 7 - 1 Northampton Town - 1959/60

1 point, 1 vote

FA Cup 1st Round
14th November 1959
Plainmoor
Attendance: 5661

Torquay scorers: Ernie Pym (3), Graham Bond (3), Tommy Northcott.
Northampton scorers: Leck

----

Ok, I can't say I know ANYTHING about this match. However, we scored 7 goals so I presume it was a fun day at Plainmoor (currently Bromley are the only side I've seen reach that number...).

Hoping a couple of you older members may be able to add some weight to this one for me?
stefano
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Don Mills

Post by stefano »

Well this one is even before my time!! The immediately noticeable thing for me is that all 7 goals were scored by Torquay born players.

Added in 1 minute 40 seconds:
Attendance: 5661
wivelgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: ROBIN STUBBS

Post by wivelgull »

Before my time too. But well done to the old codgers who voted for this. I don't remember Graham Bond (except when he was with the Organisation) but look at those other names: Ernie and Tommy. Heroes all!
gateman49
Skipper
Skipper
Favourite player: George McBrearty

Post by gateman49 »

The Northampton match is down to this old codger.

I remember the game well and, as my mum had saved my school exercise book from that era, I still have evidence of my delight at the score. Just after the match we had to write a pretend letter to someone showing how to do the date, salutation and sign off as well as actually writing about something so I chose to do a write up of the match in my letter. I was given a mark of 6/10 by my teacher partly as I couldn't spell 'sincerely'!

Anyway, it was only 1 - 0 at half time so we took them apart in the second half and I remember Ernie Pym nut megging their centre half for one of his three goals! As to Graham Bond, Wivelgull, our back garden in Halsteads Road, Barton backed onto that of the Bond family so he was a nodding acquaintance. In addition, his son, Kevin, had a brief career with the club if I remember correctly.

As a p.s., my wife is from Northampton so I proudly show her my schoolboy exercise book every now and then.
Plymouth Gull

Post by Plymouth Gull »

JOINT 111th: Torquay United 1 - 1 Exeter City - 1927/28

1 point, 1 vote

English Division 3 South
27th August 1927
Plainmoor
Attendance: 11625

----

The clubs first ever Football League match gets a mention here. We welcomed Exeter City to Plainmoor, with over 11,000 people watching the match, which ended in a score draw. The match was the first after the club won the Southern League in 1926/27 on the final day.

The 27/28 campaign saw the Gulls finish bottom, but survive after a successful re-election. Unfortunately I'm at a loss to find any more details about this, but a worthy inclusion.

Also...look at that attendance!
gateman49
Skipper
Skipper
Favourite player: George McBrearty

Post by gateman49 »

Who from the 11,625 voted for this? He or she deserves some sort of medal for staying loyal for that long!!!!!!!!!
Plymouth Gull

Post by Plymouth Gull »

JOINT 111th: Torquay United 1 - 1 Crystal Palace - 1998/99

1 point, 1 vote

Worthington Cup 1st Round - 1st Leg
11th August 1998
Plainmoor
Attendance: 3042

Torquay:
Matt Gregg, Andy Gurney, Robbie Herrera, Jamie Robinson, Wayne Thomas, Alex Watson, Gary Clayton, Brian McGorry, Tony Bedeau, Scott Partridge, Kevin Hill

Palace: Kevin Miller, Dean Austin, Jamie Smith, Sasa Curcic (Marc Edworthy), David Tuttle (Andy Linighan), Herman Hreidarsson, Attilio Lombardo, Paul Warhurst, Bruce Dyer (Clinton Morrison), Matt Jansen, Hayden Mullins

Torquay scorer: Tony Bedeau
Palace scorer: Attilio Lombardo

----

The first match at Plainmoor of the 1998/99 campaign was a League Cup 1st round 1st leg (two-legged affairs back then!) tie against recently-relegated Crystal Palace. A full strength Palace side was sent out for this game, and even then struggled against United. Tony Bedeau had the Gulls ahead before Lombardo equalised. The match was remembered for Matt Grigg who played a blinder, resulting in a big money move to Palace shortly afterwards!

The second leg at Selhurst Park finished 2-1 to the hosts, resulting in a 3-2 aggregate victory for the London outfit.
wivelgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: ROBIN STUBBS

Post by wivelgull »

I was at the 1998-9 Palace match. At the time there was, on Sunday afternoons, a Channel 4 football programme which featured the Serie A Italian league. I regularly watched this (and had done for two or three years). Lombardo (whose first name is translated as Achilles in English) was always one of the outstanding players on view. Thus to see him playing at Plainmoor only a year or so later was one of the oddest football experiences of my life. I don't think he lasted long at Palace - mainly because he couldn't speak English. Also, he was as bald as a badger.