Is Hargreaves fit for purpose?

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
SuperNickyWroe
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Andy Provan
Watches from: The sofa

Post by SuperNickyWroe »

Scott Brehaut wrote:In answer to the question, it all depends on the expectation of the person asking the question - though I would hope that they would bear in mind the following when managing that expectation:

He is a rookie manager
He has players in the squad that are on big wages and that he can't get rid of
He has little to no money to bring in new players.

That in mind, I would expect him to make the odd mistake and to, essentially, learn on the job.

We can't compare him to other rookie managers we have had, like Bucks for example, simply because Buckle had an almost infinite amount of money to bring in anybody he wanted.
That said, I would expect Chris to know what he wants out of the team and to be able to drop players that aren't performing. During the "blip" he didn't seem to act quick enough at times to help "stop the rot", but that said it is a learning experience for him.

We are one of the "better" teams in the division on paper - not as much clout financially, but we have some good players. A successful season for me, under Chris, would be in or near the play offs at the end of the season.

thats fair enough scotty, but hes made more than the "odd one"..................
Member of the Yorkshire Gulls Supporters Club - Proud Sponsors of Aaron Jarvis 2023-2024
We now drive South to all the games!

TUST Member 468

Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Southampton Gull »

SuperNickyWroe wrote:
thats fair enough scotty, but hes made more than the "odd one" ..................

But enough about you .............. ;-)
Dave

Friend of TorquayFans.com
hector
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: jim mcnichol

Post by hector »

SuperNickyWroe wrote:
thats fair enough scotty, but hes made more than the "odd one"..................
I think Hargreaves is bound to make mistakes - what Torquay manager hasn't?

Last season, his inability to find a settled side could have been levelled at him, but like many of us surmised, there was no settled side with the players he had at his disposal - yet with that dire team, he accrued more wins and points, and a had a better win per games ratio and points per game ratio, than Alan Knill did, even though it was Knill's mismanagement that built the team. However, Hargreaves was brought in to do better than he did.

This year, you do get the feeling, that CH has an idea of what, roughly, his favoured team is: there may be question marks over which keeper plays (but probably he prefers Rice), which central defensive partnership he goes for, when all are available, and whether Briscoe or O'Achie partner Bowman but the changes are more subtle than last season.

The problem has been when there are obvious gaps - like central defence at Alfreton - and I did have a momentary scare when BT Sports listed Richards as central defensive partner to Downes, in the team line-up, until I saw they had put Pearce in midfield.

The team looked good against Barnet - like they did for August and September and a young team with a young(ish) manager, are going to suffer dips in form and confidence but Hargreaves has done nothing yet to feel that his job should be under threat.
brucie
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by brucie »

Hargreaves couldn't really do much aboout Rice letting half a dozen cheap goals in against poor teams. I think it was more than a "dip in form" though as you put it - it was more like we imploded.
Tuesdays was a crucial win though. This team is clearly capable (and should be) challenging for promotion. People saying that we should accept mid table is quite ridiculous.
Its a poor league full of average teams - actually believe it or not I'm not too surprised we beat Barnet. They have scaped a few wins by the odd goal and don't think they are twelve points better than anyone else.
Whilst the defence is getting lambasted and we did concede another two goals on Tuesday night - I actuially thought the defence was superb in the second half in difficult conditions. You can carp all you like about mistakes for the second goal but the goal was probably down to Pearce and Berrys lack of football as much as anything else. They were both sensational on the night given how much football they have played.
Its time to give Pearce a run in the team now - he wilol only get better with gametime.
Sesimbra
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Sam Collins

Post by Sesimbra »

Nearly 3 months on I thought it may be appropriate to raise this question again.
chardie
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: Alan Little

Post by chardie »

Yes he is.
TUST No 278
supergulls
Skipper
Skipper
Favourite player: Aaron Downes

Post by supergulls »

chardie wrote:Yes he is.
Really ?? Ask Simon baker
A Realist
First Regular
First Regular
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by A Realist »

supergulls wrote: Really ?? Ask Simon baker
Got a feeling that this story is going to grow legs in the coming days.
PlainmoorRoar
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Lee Mansell

Post by PlainmoorRoar »

A Realist wrote:Got a feeling that this story is going to grow legs in the coming days.
care to expand?
TUFC FACEBOOK PAGE - https://www.facebook.com/insideplainmoor
TUFC TWITTER PAGE - https://twitter.com/TUFC1899

Torquay United Supporters Trust member - Join the TUST now!
supergulls
Skipper
Skipper
Favourite player: Aaron Downes

Post by supergulls »

Content removed due to copyright infringement (SG)
brucie
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by brucie »

In all fairness to Baker having sat next to him at Morecambe he is a real fan. Perhaps frustration got the better of him as we kissed another two points goodbye.
It was abloody frustrating two hour drive home - I know that.
PlainmoorRoar
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Lee Mansell

Post by PlainmoorRoar »

brucie wrote:In all fairness to Baker having sat next to him at Morecambe he is a real fan. Perhaps frustration got the better of him as we kissed another two points goodbye.
It was abloody frustrating two hour drive home - I know that.
thats what it sounds like, also how did he say it? In jest, or deadly serious? i can't imagine it being the latter on the terraces.

The board, you'd like to think would be funding ways to get rid of the overpaid crap or supporting CH in the transfer market than look for his replacement!!
TUFC FACEBOOK PAGE - https://www.facebook.com/insideplainmoor
TUFC TWITTER PAGE - https://twitter.com/TUFC1899

Torquay United Supporters Trust member - Join the TUST now!
tomogull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Colin Bettany

Post by tomogull »

PlainmoorRoar wrote: thats what it sounds like, also how did he say it? In jest, or deadly serious? i can't imagine it being the latter on the terraces.

The board, you'd like to think would be funding ways to get rid of the overpaid crap or supporting CH in the transfer market than look for his replacement!!
Yes - Simon Baker is a real fan on the terraces and that's where he should stay. His tenure as chairman was hardly a success and I wonder what he adds to the Board as vice chairman. It's a shame it wasn't he who resigned and not Alex Rowe who is also a real fan AND was an effective member of the Board.
A Realist
First Regular
First Regular
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by A Realist »

care to expand?
Was meaning it will get some publicity in the next few days and probably cause division in the ranks so to speak.
friendlygas
First Regular
First Regular

Post by friendlygas »

You need all in the club to SUPPORT the Manager. We have the same problem despite the position in the league where there are still supporters who would have Daryl Clarke out which is really stupid. A Manager can only work within the Clubs limitations. Will CH be given funds to improve in January or does that depend on getting rid of deadwood?
Could it be that you will have to sell Young to enable maybe three positions to be brought in?
I have always said that if the sell of one player can finance three or four positions in the team to make it better overall then I would go with that but too often at our club the sell of a star player has not gone back in to funding replacements and we have ended up much worst off.
How do you all feel about CH's signings ? Would you trust him to sign good replacements but more importantly does your Board trust him?
At the end of the day it is generally the case that the Board will act when the Manager has totally lost the fanbase. Reading your topics on here I don't see the numbers disillusioned as was the situation well before the end of Knill's tenure.
Hindsight is a wonderful thing and you might have been better sticking with Ling in the same way we might have been better sticking with Trollope just those five years ago!!!