TUFC v Chesterfield - 21/12/19

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
PL21gull
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Lee MansellBaseball

Post by PL21gull »

Dead right Portugull about 3 unchallenged headers sinking us yesterday, our problems all stem from being unable to keep a clean sheet.
Lloyd James looks good, and is what we have sadly lacked since losing Frank Vincent to injury.
However, the recruitment process has to be questioned when we only otherwise import short players, which limits our opportunities to both defend and to score. Chesterfield defended in great depth and with great determination, and, like the majority of opponents, were able to fend us off physically. It was only with the introduction of the three bigger subs that we could compete more in the air and on the deck. This will become even more important now that the pitches are only going to get heavier and heavier and, hence, not so conducive to pretty football.
At least the players tried hard to play with 10 men in the second half... the effort was there but not the quality to carve out goal-scoring opportunities
desperado
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs

Post by desperado »

To back up what Portugull and PL21 said, read what Chesterfield coach Mark Crossley said "we worked all week as we thought we could get at Torquay down the flanks as we believe they struggle to defend crossed balls and we scored with three headers"
So we know what Yeovil will be doing
Uptongull
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: David Graham

Post by Uptongull »

desperado wrote: 22 Dec 2019, 16:48 To back up what Portugull and PL21 said, read what Chesterfield coach Mark Crossley said "we worked all week as we thought we could get at Torquay down the flanks as we believe they struggle to defend crossed balls and we scored with three headers"
If woking have their chosen back four they'll have Gerring, Diarra and Jack Cook all up for corners. All at least 6ft 4 if I'm not mistaken. They will be whipping balls in all day long.
Louis
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by Louis »

⚽️ Prediction League 23/24 - TUFC merch prizes for grabs
⚽️ Press Room - all latest TUFC News
⚽️ @Torquay_Fans - follow us on X for all the latest

Bristol_Gull
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Rodney Jack
Watches from: Pop side

Post by Bristol_Gull »

desperado wrote: 22 Dec 2019, 16:48 To back up what Portugull and PL21 said, read what Chesterfield coach Mark Crossley said "we worked all week as we thought we could get at Torquay down the flanks as we believe they struggle to defend crossed balls and we scored with three headers"
Regrettably as we have seen, so does every other team in the league!! We have very obvious weak points that have been exploited week after week...surely 46 goals conceded in 26 games spell this out loud and clear!

As I’ve mentioned before, I understand the injury situation has contributed somewhat to the problem but on average it only actually impacts 2-3 positions in the starting XI given that the injured list (with the exception of Davis) are all generally competing for the same few midfield positions!!
Minneapolisgull
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Jo Kuffour

Post by Minneapolisgull »

standupsitdown wrote: 22 Dec 2019, 15:20 There is no point in changing manager unless his replacement is better. It would seem unlikely that Torquay would attract anyone better than Gary Johnson.
Mid table this season would be the end of the world and I still think we'll achieve that.
Turning point will be beating Woking on 28th.
I would settle for mid-table right this minute not doubt about it! We cannot buy a win or a clean sheet and we are already looking over our shoulder a poor Christmas and results going against us. We could seriously be in trouble come January!
I really do hope you are right and the turning point comes with a win against Woking!!!
Midlandgull
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: O'Kane
Watches from: Pop side

Post by Midlandgull »

Back with a vlog! Another defeat. Yet to win when I've done a vlog, it's all my fault!

📹 👉
torregull
Out on Loan
Out on Loan

Post by torregull »

Wonder if video of Janneh's alleged elbowing has been scrutinised by Johnson yet and whether an appeal will be forthcoming?
Trojan 67
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by Trojan 67 »

dawlishmatt wrote: 21 Dec 2019, 21:26 So that's played 8, won 1 lost 7. Still according to the Messiah, we can put our recent poor form down to injuries, poor refereeing, the opposition team's ball boys, the list goes on. Oh I almost forgot the shrinking violets. Gary Johnson is making himself sound stupid and quite frankly, embarrassing. He blames injuries and yes we do seem to have more than our fair share. The problem I have with the manager is that since our F A Cup defeat to Lower league opposition, Johnson has, during our dismal run of 1 win and 7 defeats from our last 8 matches signed 5 players. Ramarni medford Smith on loan from Reading, Lloyd James, Aaron Nemane, Amrit Bansal-Mcnulty, and Jared Lewington. These players, if good enough, should be more than enough to cover our injury crisis. Clearly a manager of roughly 30 years experience, don't forget that Johnson said that he would only sign a player if he was good enough, has completely lost the plot.
I can remember well an ex - football manager, Mike Green, telling me that a manager should be able to tell within half an hour of his first training session, if he was likely to succeed as a professional footballer.
I personally think that Gary Johnson and his brother are shafting Torquay United and Clarke Osborne and I hope he's sent packing before we find ourselves in a relegation dogfight.

This is what happens when padded cell inpatients are given "tablets".

Another dogshite diatribe from barking mad Dawlish MUTT-face. In the latest MUTT-face "adventure" from "One Flew Over The Langdon Secure Unit", Gary Johnson is cast in the role of Randle P McMurphy with MUTT-face as harridan mental nurse Ratched. And not forgetting SG in the role of big Chief Bromden together with Stefano, Supes and yours truly in supporting roles.;-)
Friend of TorquayFans.com
Member of the Month November 2020
Southampton Gull: "Well deserved"
dawlishmatt
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Steve cooper

Post by dawlishmatt »

Trojan 67, merry Christmas 🎄🎄🎅🎅🎄🎄🤶🤶🎅🎅🎄🎄🎄🎄🎄🤶🤶🎅🎅🎅
desperado
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by desperado »

Well no wiser on the Janneh red after watching the highlights., but what pathetic defending at both attempting to stop the crosses
and getting there first after the delivery, and what the hell was MacDonald doing on the third goal, just seems to fall over and tries to claim a free kick.
Uptongull
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: David Graham

Post by Uptongull »

desperado wrote: 23 Dec 2019, 20:47 Well no wiser on the Janneh red after watching the highlights., but what pathetic defending at both attempting to stop the crosses
and getting there first after the delivery, and what the hell was MacDonald doing on the third goal, just seems to fall over and tries to claim a free kick.
First goal Nemane doesnt get across first, then Wynter puts in a lame stab for the ball. Easily preventable to stop the cross coming in there if you hurry across to engage the man. Make things difficult for them. Think that's what Gary was talkig about in his interviews.

Second goal Whitfield doesnt track the man ghosting in to nod home. Not much the defenders could do about a man charging in unchallenged from beyind the 18-yard box. That's the midfielders' job to track the runners.

Third one just seems like Macdonald fancied a lie down? Goes in off Cameron's shoulder it looks like.

Poor goals but nothing major you need to work on? Desire, hard work, aggression. Surely they're the bread-and-butter things tho. But do we have enough of that in the middle?
Louis
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Louis »

So the footage is up. Was it a red?

⚽️ Prediction League 23/24 - TUFC merch prizes for grabs
⚽️ Press Room - all latest TUFC News
⚽️ @Torquay_Fans - follow us on X for all the latest

portugull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: lee mansell

Post by portugull »

Well for the first goal Ben Wynter makes a weak challenge allowing the ball to be crossed and the scorer gets in front of Lewis .

The more I watch all the recent highlights it is the central defenders Niate and Cameron on Saturday and Cundy in recent games who simply are not working together and marking. The positioning is all over the place. Watch a good team defending and each player knows his job, and the back four get into position to defend. Stop the video and look at our shape when a goal is scored against us.

Look at the second goal. Weston is totally unmarked 6 yards out. Wynter is trying to mark two players which results in the cross but the ball goes over Niates head, not his fault, but were are Cameron and Lewis?

Downes must surely be having nightmares at what he is witnessing week after week. It is not rocket science! We have to sort this out it is basic defending. Niate not good enough and Cundy ,Cameron and Lewis very little experience. They need an old hand to help them because otherwise it is like lambs to the slaughter.
portugull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: lee mansell

Post by portugull »

Louis. How can we tell? Is has been cut. Tells its own story?