alan knill

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
budleigh
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by budleigh »

but I think Scott is right to say that he didn't look a great improvement on what we already had which was a fully fit Ling.
Unfortunately what we didn't have was a fully fit Ling...
Swanny
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Luke Young

Post by Swanny »

I do get a little annoyed when those who seem to be pro-Knill go on about when he left we were only 1 point from safety. I've read this same argument on other TUFC forums. It'a a bit naughty isn't it and NOT telling the complete picture? We were only 1 point from safety because there were some other teams just as appalling as ourselves at the time. Unfortunatley they happened to get their act together very well in the second half of the season.

THE most important fact was that Knill left us with just 22 points from 24 games and an appalling goal difference = certain RELEGATION and less than 45 points if we carried on with the same form. We all know a team has to reach at least 50 points to be confident of avoiding relegation so the second half of the season needed a BIG improvement. Hargreaves has improved things a bit with 22 points from 20 games (with 1 to go) , which would in itself be enough to survive over the course of a season. But thanks to Knills points record we needed a big improvement in points gained in the second half of the season.

After Knill's two 1-0 wins, we played badly against Bristol Rovers and scraped a draw and collapsed big style without Marquis in the 2 Devon Derbies. It was hardly proof that Knill's record would improve in the second half of the season. Big decisions needed to be made. The only real argument for keeping Knill would be for keeping continuity at the club and financially by not having to pay him off. But ability wise there was little proof to suggest he would be able to improve us enough for the second half of the season.
SuperNickyWroe
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Andy Provan
Watches from: The sofa

Post by SuperNickyWroe »

Swanny wrote:I do get a little annoyed when those who seem to be pro-Knill go on about when he left we were only 1 point from safety. I've read this same argument on other TUFC forums. It'a a bit naughty isn't it and NOT telling the complete picture? We were only 1 point from safety because there were some other teams just as appalling as ourselves at the time. Unfortunatley they happened to get their act together very well in the second half of the season.

THE most important fact was that Knill left us with just 22 points from 24 games and an appalling goal difference = certain RELEGATION and less than 45 points if we carried on with the same form. We all know a team has to reach at least 50 points to be confident of avoiding relegation so the second half of the season needed a BIG improvement. Hargreaves has improved things a bit with 22 points from 20 games (with 1 to go) , which would in itself be enough to survive over the course of a season. But thanks to Knills points record we needed a big improvement in points gained in the second half of the season.

After Knill's two 1-0 wins, we played badly against Bristol Rovers and scraped a draw and collapsed big style without Marquis in the 2 Devon Derbies. It was hardly proof that Knill's record would improve in the second half of the season. Big decisions needed to be made. The only real argument for keeping Knill would be for keeping continuity at the club and financially by not having to pay him off. But ability wise there was little proof to suggest he would be able to improve us enough for the second half of the season.
the problem is, that we are more appaling than them (still) now.
Member of the Yorkshire Gulls Supporters Club - Proud Sponsors of Aaron Jarvis 2023-2024
We now drive South to all the games!

TUST Member 468

hector
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: jim mcnichol

Post by hector »

Swanny wrote:I do get a little annoyed when those who seem to be pro-Knill go on about when he left we were only 1 point from safety. I've read this same argument on other TUFC forums. It'a a bit naughty isn't it and NOT telling the complete picture? We were only 1 point from safety because there were some other teams just as appalling as ourselves at the time. Unfortunatley they happened to get their act together very well in the second half of the season.

:goodpost:

It is pure revisionist crap that Stefano and one or two others are trying to peddle re: Knill. They use the rather pointless assertion that we were just 'one point' from safety' when he left. Well, after today we may be not much worse off than that anyway but what Stefano and his cohorts seem to forget, or conveniently overlook, is that there is absolutely not one single shred of evidence that suggests Knill would have kept us up. As seasons go on, gaps between the top and bottom widen. On Knill's points per game ratio, the gap would be wider had he stayed, than it is now.

They point to his last 5 games (mainly because the overall record was so damning) even though the last three went without a win (two of which were abject Devon derby defeats) and claim he amassed the massive total of 7 points out of 15, as some sort of achivement. Even that points rate would not have been good enough.

His overall record was not good enough and continued over the season would have seen us relegated.

His record over his last 'mythical' 5 games was not good enough and continued over the season would have seen us relegated.

Compare Hargreaves last 5 games and it is a completely different story to Knill's last 5 games and yet we have still been relegated with a win percentage that wipes the floor with Knill.

So just what is it about Knill's inability to win, his appalling points per game record, his awful football, his dreadful signings, his uninspiring presence, his inability to control the dressing room, his record as a manager getting the sack at 3 of the four clubs he has managed, his tactical ineptness, his inability to change a game? Other than all that I guess, as Stefano seems to think, he must be a football genius.

There are those that think that Knill should have been kept on and given the money to keep us up.

Has anyone with half a brain, seriously thought that bit through?

What did he do with the money he was given? Put the likes of Benyon, Hawley, Harding and Tonge on lengthy contracts.

If the club had given money to Knill it would have been throwing good after bad and would not have changed anything. Knill is the reason we are relegated.
FavGull
Out on Loan
Out on Loan

Post by FavGull »

hector wrote: :goodpost:

It is pure revisionist crap that Stefano and one or two others are trying to peddle re: Knill. They use the rather pointless assertion that we were just 'one point' from safety' when he left. Well, after today we may be not much worse off than that anyway but what Stefano and his cohorts seem to forget, or conveniently overlook, is that there is absolutely not one single shred of evidence that suggests Knill would have kept us up. As seasons go on, gaps between the top and bottom widen. On Knill's points per game ratio, the gap would be wider had he stayed, than it is now.

They point to his last 5 games (mainly because the overall record was so damning) even though the last three went without a win (two of which were abject Devon derby defeats) and claim he amassed the massive total of 7 points out of 15, as some sort of achivement. Even that points rate would not have been good enough.

His overall record was not good enough and continued over the season would have seen us relegated.

His record over his last 'mythical' 5 games was not good enough and continued over the season would have seen us relegated.

Compare Hargreaves last 5 games and it is a completely different story to Knill's last 5 games and yet we have still been relegated with a win percentage that wipes the floor with Knill.

So just what is it about Knill's inability to win, his appalling points per game record, his awful football, his dreadful signings, his uninspiring presence, his inability to control the dressing room, his record as a manager getting the sack at 3 of the four clubs he has managed, his tactical ineptness, his inability to change a game? Other than all that I guess, as Stefano seems to think, he must be a football genius.

There are those that think that Knill should have been kept on and given the money to keep us up.

Has anyone with half a brain, seriously thought that bit through?

What did he do with the money he was given? Put the likes of Benyon, Hawley, Harding and Tonge on lengthy contracts.

If the club had given money to Knill it would have been throwing good after bad and would not have changed anything. Knill is the reason we are relegated.
7 ÷ (5 x 3) x (46 x 3) = 64.4 = upper mid table to play off form.

Not that the above calculation proves or disproves any argument, just showing that the extrapolation of 7 points from 5 games would have been a pretty acceptable record over the course of a season.

Meaningless of course though, just now more accurate.
AustrianAndyGull
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Kev Nicholson

Post by AustrianAndyGull »

Congratulations Alan - you win. I hope it felt like it.

It's done with.
Strangely enough it was Pope Gregory the 9th inviting me for drinks aboard his steam yacht, the saucy sue currently wintering in montego bay with the England cricket team and the Balanese Goddess of plenty.
Scott Brehaut
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin
Favourite player: Lee Mansell

Post by Scott Brehaut »

AustrianAndyGull wrote:Congratulations Alan - you win. I hope it felt like it.

It's done with.
Yeah, thanks for nothing you squirrel loving shit.

**** you.

Ps - I'm well aware this is immature, but I'm **** off that he ran us into the ground, took a decent pay off (unlike most people when they are sacked), and then walked into another job - albeit collecting up cones and sucking Chris Wilder off, but still, thanks for nothing.

STIP
Friend of torquayfans.com
gullintwoplaces
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Mark Loram

Post by gullintwoplaces »

Clearly the Cobblers need a good clear out, starting with their Assistant Manager and Ricky Ravenhill.
AustrianAndyGull
Legend
Legend

Scott Brehaut wrote: Yeah, thanks for nothing you squirrel loving sh*t.

f*** you.

Ps - I'm well aware this is immature, but I'm f*** off that he ran us into the ground, took a decent pay off (unlike most people when they are sacked), and then walked into another job - albeit collecting up cones and sucking Chris Wilder off, but still, thanks for nothing.
:rofl:

Just seen this! PMSL! :lol:

Scott, calm down mate! We were relegated when we were trounced 3-0 up at Hartlepool 2 months back mate so I'd have thought you'd have come to terms with it by now? :~D

I apologise if my laughing at your rants is making you even more mad, I know you're deeply upset at the minute and I understand that but I also love the immaturity of it. It's funny. I've been in bed for 4 days and my neck is now as wide as Akinfenwa's arse thanks to my glands swelling up to the size of Coventry. THAT'S funny! :lol:

:'( :'( :'(
Strangely enough it was Pope Gregory the 9th inviting me for drinks aboard his steam yacht, the saucy sue currently wintering in montego bay with the England cricket team and the Balanese Goddess of plenty.
SuperNickyWroe
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Andy Provan
Watches from: The sofa

Post by SuperNickyWroe »

AustrianAndyGull wrote: :rofl:

Just seen this! PMSL! :lol:

Scott, calm down mate! We were relegated when we were trounced 3-0 up at Hartlepool 2 months back mate so I'd have thought you'd have come to terms with it by now? :~D

I apologise if my laughing at your rants is making you even more mad, I know you're deeply upset at the minute and I understand that but I also love the immaturity of it. It's funny. I've been in bed for 4 days and my neck is now as wide as Akinfenwa's arse thanks to my glands swelling up to the size of Coventry. THAT'S funny! :lol:

:'( :'( :'(

get over it scotty.

i bet knill is laughing his bo**ocks off now.
Member of the Yorkshire Gulls Supporters Club - Proud Sponsors of Aaron Jarvis 2023-2024
We now drive South to all the games!

TUST Member 468

AustrianAndyGull
Legend
Legend

Don't Chris! You'll make him Guernsey's maddest man!
Oil Beef Hooked
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Chris Hargreaves
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by Oil Beef Hooked »

f*** you.

Ps - I'm well aware this is immature, but I'm f*** off that he ran us into the ground, took a decent pay off (unlike most people when they are sacked), and then walked into another job - albeit collecting up cones and sucking Chris Wilder off, but still, thanks for nothing.
Quality :bow: :clap: :~D
Steve

:scarf: YELLOW ARMY :scarf:
AustrianAndyGull
Legend
Legend

f*** you.

:rofl:

MAN ALIVE!! I thought I was bitter!! :lol: :lol:

Totally agree.

He's laughing on the other side of his shit tonight though the arboreal canopy dwelling fiend!!!!!!!!!!!! :@ :@

**** off Alan Knill!
You took us to the Skrill P
Cos you're a ............shit football manager and so is Brasseeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

(to the tune of sleepy jean)
taxilady
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Micky Cave RIP
Watches from: Pop side

Post by taxilady »

where's your evidence on Brass ? As far as I'm aware, the players were unhappy to see him go, & he's done all right at Bury ? ( got to disagree with you occasionally Andy !!)
We'll Be Back ! TTID

TUST share number 066
cobbler10
Trialist
Trialist

Post by cobbler10 »

There's only one Juan Knill.