shaun cooper- Signed

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
Fonda
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Super Jason Fowler

Post by Fonda »

Our full-backs have been absolutely awful all season. Cruise has had decent moments, but has lacked consistency. Tonge and Nicho have been...generous. If O'Connor and Cooper were to be our full-backs for the rest of the season, our prospects would be vastly improved.
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."
Glostergull
Country Captain
Country Captain
Favourite player: ROBIN STUBBS

Post by Glostergull »

yellowforever wrote:Where will he play? Centre of defence and midfield are the two areas our squad is strongest in - perhaps left back? Does anyone know which is his favoured foot?
I would imagine that he likes both feet.he needs them both. It would be damned difficult walking with only one of them.
Always Look on the bright side of life

Check out my poems topic... http://www.torquayfans.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=4843
Sunnysideup
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Manse

Post by Sunnysideup »

Who's this McCallum people have started mentioning?? Was he the Hammer?

He probably in their 1st team squad after tonight......
Apathy Rules...............it's ok though, nobody's that fussed about it........
tomogull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Colin Bettany

Post by tomogull »

ferrarilover wrote:I think our goals against record this season is deceiving. We allow our opponents precious few chances at our goal, yet we score with startlingly few of the many chances we create. The Morecambe game was typical, we had 20 chances and scored one goal. Morecambe had one chance and scored one goal. Exeter did the same, scored with every chance they had. Oxford the same earlier in the year. Wycombe similar and Newport and Plymouth at home. Rochdale away didn't look like scoring, yet took the one chance they had. Seems to be a recurring theme. I reckon we have the worst chances:goals ratio (dreadful strikers) and also the worst opposition chances:goals ratio (not necessarily dreadful defenders).

I'm happy we've got Cooper, but the strikers to come will have much more of a bearing on the remainder of our season. Matt.
I think the 'goals against' record is not the fault of the defenders, but lies with midfield and the forwards. The midfield because of Knill's obsession of playing most of the first half of the season with just two midfield players. We were being overrun in midfield putting pressure on the defence, especially the full backs, and eventually the pressure told. We have looked much more secure with three in midfield (it didn't work against Exeter because apart from Bodin, we had no forwards worthy of being called a forward). The forwards because when the ball was played upfield, the forwards invariably lost it and so pressure came right back on the defence. Quite honestly, all the forwards except Marquis have been guilty of losing the ball cheaply too often.
ferrarilover
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: You'll find out ;-)

Post by ferrarilover »

hector wrote: I guess you have given up though because all autumn and early winter you were saying if we sacked Knill that would confirm relegation. No point signing anyone really. BUT he who knows best!
Might have something to do with the fact that throughout autumn and early winter, that was the case.

Matt.
J5 said, "ferrarilover is 100% correct"
hector
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: jim mcnichol

Post by hector »

ferrarilover wrote:
Oh, really. Of course it was! :rofl: :whistle:
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Southampton Gull »

Hector, what you have difficulty grasping is the timeline of events. Just because Thea Bristow has been 'persuaded' to fund the latest round of signings and new management team doesn't make Matt wrong. There's a price to pay and at the moment Thea is the one paying it. If she pulls the plug do you think Baker and Phillips will be putting their hands in their pockets? Be careful what you wish for. Things might look all pink and fluffy to you now but try looking down the line a bit. I just hope our benefactor gets her money back and not 0.007 pence in the £.
Dave

Friend of TorquayFans.com
brucie
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by brucie »

I guess Phillips won't be putting his hand in his pocket - seeing that he didn't put any money in when he became a director.
For a team with so many financial problems we seem to be carrying a shed load of players - we have now signed Cooper, Stockley is now here (or coming back) Lathrope/Yeoman are back on the wage bill - and it seems there may be another striker on the horizen.
Blimey - the money must be coming from somewhere and from an outsider looking in it is obvious where its coming from so fair play to the chair person.
Fonda
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Super Jason Fowler

Post by Fonda »

Imagine it's quite likely we'll see a few go back out on loan sometime soon. Understandable the new manager would have wanted to have a look at everyone at the outset, but when he's formulated his plan, there will be players unlikely to feature.
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."
CP Gull

Post by CP Gull »

.... Increasingly sounding like Shaun Cooper is our man. He left Portsmouth yesterday and is "in talks with another League 2 club" ..... I wonder who!

Nice one, Roadrunner!

http://www.portsmouth.co.uk/sport/pompey/ba-1-5795666
Richinns
Country Captain
Country Captain
Favourite player: Kevin Kalala

Post by Richinns »

Done a bit of digging on Shaun. He can play at either full-back position (as well as midfield) and we already know he can do a job as a Centre Half. In fact he has played left back on more than one occasion for Pompey this season so this could be where Hargreaves is looking to play him.

The problem is (and the reason it seems he was not offered another contract at Portsmouth) that he seems fairly injury prone.

If he stays fit then this could be a really great addition for us.
TUST member 328
Your club needs you. Join the TUST now - http://www.torquaysupporters.co.uk/
SuperNickyWroe
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Andy Provan
Watches from: The sofa

Post by SuperNickyWroe »

Richinns wrote:Done a bit of digging on Shaun. He can play at either full-back position (as well as midfield) and we already know he can do a job as a Centre Half. In fact he has played left back on more than one occasion for Pompey this season so this could be where Hargreaves is looking to play him.

The problem is (and the reason it seems he was not offered another contract at Portsmouth) that he seems fairly injury prone.

If he stays fit then this could be a really great addition for us.

sounds like mr downes.......... :devil:
Member of the Yorkshire Gulls Supporters Club - Proud Sponsors of Aaron Jarvis 2023-2024
We now drive South to all the games!

TUST Member 468

hector
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: jim mcnichol

Post by hector »

Southampton Gull wrote:Hector, what you have difficulty grasping is the timeline of events. Just because Thea Bristow has been 'persuaded' to fund the latest round of signings and new management team doesn't make Matt wrong. There's a price to pay and at the moment Thea is the one paying it. If she pulls the plug do you think Baker and Phillips will be putting their hands in their pockets? Be careful what you wish for. Things might look all pink and fluffy to you now but try looking down the line a bit. I just hope our benefactor gets her money back and not 0.007 pence in the £.
I'm not talking about the signings. I'm talking about the way the world was supposedly about to end if we sacked Knill. It was stated regularly as if it was FACT. Matt was wrong.
Dave_Pougher
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Mansell

Post by Dave_Pougher »

brucie wrote:I guess Phillips won't be putting his hand in his pocket - seeing that he didn't put any money in when he became a director.
For a team with so many financial problems we seem to be carrying a shed load of players - we have now signed Cooper, Stockley is now here (or coming back) Lathrope/Yeoman are back on the wage bill - and it seems there may be another striker on the horizen.
Blimey - the money must be coming from somewhere and from an outsider looking in it is obvious where its coming from so fair play to the chair person.

If that's true, can I ask what Bill Phillips brings to the club?
SteveDeckchair
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero
Favourite player: Sir Alex Russell
Watches from: Pop side

Post by SteveDeckchair »

I'll tell you what he doesn't bring to the club. His bleddy wallet!
Mmmmmm, beeeeeeeer.