Three Strikers

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
gullsgullsgulls
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: Sills

Post by gullsgullsgulls »

A two goal swing is not a fine margin. You could apply this methodology to most professional football sides and they would be top of the league..!!
Stickingitin
On the Bench
On the Bench

Post by Stickingitin »

gullsgullsgulls wrote: 19 Jan 2023, 19:10 A two goal swing is not a fine margin. You could apply this methodology to most professional football sides and they would be top of the league..!!
There is no finer margin than winning +1 or losing -1.
And I did say "margins".
If the squad apply both of these methods with 20 games remaining we should accumilate a final total of points being 70pts, just shy of the play offs.
If the squad only apply one of these methods the accumilation of pts will be approximately 57 pts, mid table.
And, if neither of these methods are taken up then we will end up with approx 46 pts, relegated.
Fine margins.
Cheddargull
First Regular
First Regular

Post by Cheddargull »

Delusional.
torq2u
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Ken Sandercock
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by torq2u »

Or, an interesting hypothesis.
TUST member 200 ;-)
gullsgullsgulls
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: Sills

Post by gullsgullsgulls »

Score more goals and concede fewer goals and you will finish higher in the table. Whodathunkit
Stickingitin
On the Bench
On the Bench

Post by Stickingitin »

I do find it interesting that when presented with facts based from form cognitive dissonance kicks in for some.
It's a shame because what this does show is just how fine a margin or margins is or do for the whole club.
I believe this period is the most important a test for all those involved with the club, which includes the supporters, you see if the supporters can see how fine the margins are then they may well be able to increase their fantastic support for the team on the pitch.
COYY
Chelston TUFC
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: David Graham

Post by Chelston TUFC »

The next step on this scientific approach would be to work out how many goals are needed to be scored in what will be reverse fixtures against the same teams. Cross reference that against the scoring records of the forwards within the squad and see whether any of them are capable of achieving that number.
I've not done this and dont plan to but I'd probably say that all things being equal with what we've seen so far this season we'll struggle to keep the ball out of our own net, will struggle to put the ball in the opposition net but in the words of Greavsie "its a funny old game". Its the hope that kills but I'm still hoping!
(I wonder if we went back 20 years and applied the same approach TUFC would have won the Premier League and Champions League after seasons of back to back promotions)
Cheddargull
First Regular
First Regular

Post by Cheddargull »

If it was simply a case of "fine margins" it would also be a case of some you lose, some you win. In other words it would simply be down to luck and in that scenario we would probably win as many as we lose. But that isn't the case, it is a question of quality in the team and in most positions we don't have that. It is also not about the number of strikers we have but also the quality of service they get from midfield.
Your outlook is too simplistic.
Stickingitin
On the Bench
On the Bench

Post by Stickingitin »

Cheddargull wrote: 20 Jan 2023, 17:06 If it was simply a case of "fine margins" it would also be a case of some you lose, some you win. In other words it would simply be down to luck and in that scenario we would probably win as many as we lose. But that isn't the case, it is a question of quality in the team and in most positions we don't have that. It is also not about the number of strikers we have but also the quality of service they get from midfield.
Your outlook is too simplistic.
And yet it must be a game of fine margins as as you point out the game isn't totally random!
If it is a question of quality in the team then three forwards/strikers is better than one or two.
Too simple for many.
Cheddargull
First Regular
First Regular

Post by Cheddargull »

Stickingitin wrote: 20 Jan 2023, 17:20 If it is a question of quality in the team then three forwards/strikers is better than one or two.
Not at all. You are arguing for quantity over quality. One really quality striker is better than three, four or five mediocre strikers.
toastkid
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: david graham

Post by toastkid »

I agree with this cognitive stuff and this fine margins claptrap, sorry, stuff.

Just so long as the gulls win by a fine margin or a cognitively acceptable margin. Else, it's all claptrap.

Marginally speaking of course.
Brewers boy
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: Jamie Reid
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by Brewers boy »

The whole result can and does often balance on the quality of the referee.
Stickingitin
On the Bench
On the Bench

Post by Stickingitin »

I see the fine margin team of the NL just thumped Chesterfield 3-0, we won 1-0 because of the backup in the belief of the defenders and the strikers that is lacking!
Stickingitin
On the Bench
On the Bench

Post by Stickingitin »

As Aguiar leaves us and Collins joins the belief that we can get one extra goal is there, the defense ain't looking too bad either!
Stickingitin
On the Bench
On the Bench

Post by Stickingitin »

V Notts County
Is this management team clutching at straws?
Taking Tope Fadahunsi off after 30 odd minutes into a game where the only player to have one assist and a goal in the last two games, is like taking the Queen off a chess board 21 moves in!
Just because a STRIKER doesn't show his full game to a defender early on in a game, is the reason why a defender doesn't know how to handle him when he does.
When the opportunity presented itself and to be able to get back at least a point, there was no gas left in the tank and sweet fanny addams all on the bench! WHY?
I can't believe that Fadahunsi was unfit because if he was, then he wouldn't of even been on the bench, and if he was unfit, then who the hell is in control of the team?