Torquay United V Concord Rangers 17 Nov 2018

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
dennisk
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: Ernie Pym

Post by dennisk »

Nightrider wrote: 18 Nov 2018, 16:12 I'm not only worried about the Bristol lads being called back but also league clubs looking at GJ,he's to good a manager for this league.
Don't worry, GJ and his brother PJ appear to be enjoying the challenge at Plainmoor, together with the support and appreciation that they are getting, from the club, media and most importantly - the supporters. As for the Bristol lads, they are not yet totally ready for The Championship and need more games at our current level. I am sure that they, eventually, will make the grade in the FL, (maybe with TQ!). :scarf:
lucy6lucy
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Chris Myers

Post by lucy6lucy »

dennisk wrote: 18 Nov 2018, 17:45 Don't worry, GJ and his brother PJ appear to be enjoying the challenge at Plainmoor, together with the support and appreciation that they are getting, from the club, media and most importantly - the supporters. As for the Bristol lads, they are not yet totally ready for The Championship and need more games at our current level. I am sure that they, eventually, will make the grade in the FL, (maybe with TQ!). :scarf:
:goodpost: GJ, has already worn the t-shirt and earned a good retirement pot. He seems up for the challenge at Torquay.
Lucy
Nightrider
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Rodney jack

Post by Nightrider »

He's certainly made a difference in the short time he has been here long may it continue,I'm looking forward to the matches again now which u couldn't say under owers that's for sure.
desperado
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs

Post by desperado »

It's like watching a different sport compared to early season. Such belief and attacking mentally and I am really liking the wasps at a picnic.Anything can happen in the play offs so we really need to finish top, no reason why not though away from home as inferior pitches detioriorate
we may have to battle hard and win ugly at times
Scott Brehaut
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin
Favourite player: Lee Mansell

Post by Scott Brehaut »

The best 18 minutes I’ve spent in a long time watching that. Some great goals - with Reid’s the best of the bunch.

STIP
Friend of torquayfans.com
wivelgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: ROBIN STUBBS

Post by wivelgull »

Reid's goal was o.k. - you can take that away from him, but there have been other (fairly) recent efforts which were more spectacular, e.g. O'Kane's two against Plymouth and Rodney Jack's two against Scarborough.
Wolborough
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs

Post by Wolborough »

Micky Cave’s 25 yarder at Villa Park will still take some beating though!
gateman49
Skipper
Skipper
Favourite player: George McBrearty

Post by gateman49 »

I also witnessed that Mickey Cave bullet as well as a Robin Stubbs' wonder goal away at Luton in Feb '66 (unfortunately in a 2 - 3 defeat) and one by Les Lawrence at the Babbacombe end from about a mile out (actually, I think he was on the edge of the centre circle) some time in the late '70s or early '80s.

(Thinks: Why can I clearly remember such events from 50 plus years ago but not be as specific for more recent ones?)
Trojan 67
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by Trojan 67 »

gateman49 wrote: 19 Nov 2018, 17:21 I also witnessed that Mickey Cave bullet as well as a Robin Stubbs' wonder goal away at Luton in Feb '66 (unfortunately in a 2 - 3 defeat) and one by Les Lawrence at the Babbacombe end from about a mile out (actually, I think he was on the edge of the centre circle) some time in the late '70s or early '80s.

(Thinks: [highlight=yellow]Why can I clearly remember such events from 50 plus years ago but not be as specific for more recent ones?[/highlight])
"Old timers" dis - ease :nod: ;-)
Friend of TorquayFans.com
Member of the Month November 2020
Southampton Gull: "Well deserved"
Nightrider
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Rodney jack

Post by Nightrider »

I remember a few Mark loram specials.
Scott Brehaut
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin
Favourite player: Lee Mansell

Post by Scott Brehaut »

Why does everybody have to compare things back to “the good old days” and not just enjoy Reid’s goal for what it was? An excellent, well taken long range shot, scored by a young lad who is bang in form and enjoying his football again.

I’m sure there have been better efforts in the past, but just enjoy the team currently, and the goals being scored.

STIP
Friend of torquayfans.com
Gloomy Gull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Watches from: Pop side

Post by Gloomy Gull »

And there was the Morike Sako 88th minute 25 yard screamer at Bristol Rovers 2005/06 season
lucy6lucy
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Chris Myers

Post by lucy6lucy »

Scott Brehaut wrote: 19 Nov 2018, 18:27 Why does everybody have to compare things back to “the good old days” and not just enjoy Reid’s goal for what it was? An excellent, well taken long range shot, scored by a young lad who is bang in form and enjoying his football again.

I’m sure there have been better efforts in the past, but just enjoy the team currently, and the goals being scored.
Totally agree. The current momentum we have heading into the winter months will hopefully see us at some point go top. And then hopefully our full time squad status will be key. The gulf in class on Saturday was embarrassing at times but winning this league will need consistency and Gary Johnson will not accept anything other than that. Still surprised we are 6/1 for the title with billericay 11/8.
Lucy
dennisk
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: Ernie Pym

Post by dennisk »

Going back to great goals, James Gray's strike at Woking last season would be up there with the best. Not sure why he was allowed to go, but he didn't make the grade at York City last year after leaving Plainmoor. I hope he has settled in elsewhere??
gateman49
Skipper
Skipper
Favourite player: George McBrearty

Post by gateman49 »

Scott Brehaut wrote: 19 Nov 2018, 18:27 Why does everybody have to compare things back to “the good old days” and not just enjoy Reid’s goal for what it was? An excellent, well taken long range shot, scored by a young lad who is bang in form and enjoying his football again.

I'm certainly one of those old crocks who takes a long view and I'm just glad that I can recall all sorts of memorable goals from the bizarre (Gordon Astall getting knocked out by a clearance from the Shrewsbury keeper which rebounded into an empty net) to the singular (Paul Hirons against West Ham) and the howitzers such as that from Reidy. Don't worry, Scott, I did enjoy it for what it was, I was leaping about even at my old age and I knew straight away that it was one for the memory bank.

And while I'm at it, Lucy, I'm not at all embarrassed by the gulf in class shown on Saturday. My only nagging fear, having seen so many false dawns is that this a dream and I will wake up.