Next Manager- confirmed: Kevin Nicholson

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
Richinns
Country Captain
Country Captain
Favourite player: Kevin Kalala

Post by Richinns »

Southampton Gull wrote: Not so much nailed on but he was in the hat at one stage ;-)
Does that mean he is out the hat now?!
TUST member 328
Your club needs you. Join the TUST now - http://www.torquaysupporters.co.uk/
leetufc
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Alex Russell
Watches from: Pop side

Post by leetufc »

I can see where a lot of people are coming from regarding this appointment not offering inspiration given the Hargreaves scenario - however I am personally a lot happier with this appointment than I ever was with Hargreaves.

There are lots of mentions of the number of other candidates available, but we need to be realistic in the calibre of manager we could attract in our position, both on and off the pitch.

Whilst we haven't had too much success with club legends taking over, however there have been successes elsewhere in football. Eddie Howe is proving a good call at Bournemouth, and took them over in pretty dire circumstances. Our ex-manager Martin Ling also did a good job at Orient in his first role in management.

I also imagine he has signed on as a player to offer extra available numbers in the wake of our current position and needing bodies for as little as possible.

I am 100% behind Nico and hope he succeeds! COYY!
PhilGull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by PhilGull »

I know I'm in a minority, possibly (probably?) of one. I am genuinely excited by this appointment. Kevin is a genuine fan of Torquay United. He has wanted to be manager of Torquay United for a long time. He has planned what he will do as manager of Torquay United for a long time. I really think, with some good luck and a prevailing wind that this will be a great appointment.
Gary Johnson's Yellow Army! Yellow Army! Yellow Army!

Your trust needs YOU!
TUST number 084
Trojan 67
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by Trojan 67 »

PlainmoorB0b wrote:
Briscoe as impact sub ( bit like a fat bloke bombing in a swimming pool)
:lol:

:clap:
Friend of TorquayFans.com
Member of the Month November 2020
Southampton Gull: "Well deserved"
RussianGull
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero

Post by RussianGull »

For those who know about FA rules and such, has Nico signed as a Player-manager because he was registered to play for Bath and subsequently can't be registered as a Player for one Club and Manager for another?

Or is in case he thinks he can give Butler a run for his money? Be good to hear those Nichooooolson Nichooooolson chants again. An unenviable task, I hope he can do it.
tommyg
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Rodney Jack

Post by tommyg »

PlainmoorB0b wrote::goodpost: :goodpost:

Just hope there's some substance and a strategy which impressed in interview and not just an eagerness to please and a familiar face to remind us of happier days past.

So....

Speiss

Berry. MacDonald. Smith. Nicholson

Hurst Carmichael Heslop Butler

Marsh.

Briscoe as impact sub ( bit like a fat bloke bombing in a swimming pool)

Looks compact.

Reasonable energy

Bloody hope nico can cut it still
I think there will be a few questions asked if Nicholson puts out that team ;-)
SteveDeckchair
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero
Favourite player: Sir Alex Russell
Watches from: Pop side

Post by SteveDeckchair »

Let's all start with a clean slate eh? Give the bloke a chance to get in and work with the team before some of you declare it the worst appointment in TUFC history. It isn't and anyone who has supported the club prior to this season should be able to see that.

Some people's reactions to this, spitting their dummies out and getting their frillies in a twist, is laughable. Presumably you've been following Nicholson's career with a microscope since he left us have you, including what he has been getting up to outside of the playing side of things. Some people......
Mmmmmm, beeeeeeeer.
jimhart33
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs

Post by jimhart33 »

Looking forward to Saturday at Plainmoor (sorry LWS).
A new begining.
Hope funds available for experienced striker first.
COYY
torq2u
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Ken Sandercock
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by torq2u »

Looking for positive signs: in his interview on BBC Spotlight Kev was calm, considered and looking forward to the challenge of getting the players to enjoy playing; setting a clean slate by putting the past behind him; and not resorting to poor Greavsie-esque humour to give himself thinking time or hide his lack of ideas.

So far, so good for me. Something to build on ......
TUST member 200 ;-)
PlainmoorB0b
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: David Caldwell

Post by PlainmoorB0b »

haha tommyg - though I am underwhelmed I wouldn't want be be accused of suggesting Kevin can't count!!

Go on, stick Fisher up with Marsh ( in the absence of anything else. Yeoman? No thank you. How long before Fairhust could be reasonably expected to see first team action?)

Sign off tonight by saying that I like Kevin Nicholson. I liked his determination to reestablish himself as left back when he struggled upon our promotion to league 2. He bleeds Torquay. He desperately wants to succeed. I so badly want to be able to say that he had so much more in his locker than his initial credentials suggested. Please prove us doubters wrong Kevin. None of us are anti you - it's just we care about the club as much as you do if not more and fear enthusiasm and sheer will might not be enough.
Gullscorer
Legend
Legend

Post by Gullscorer »

potnoodle wrote:I'm a female by the way!
I received a phone call Saturday telling me who got the job, I chose to share it with you all.
Oil Beef Hooked
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Chris Hargreaves
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by Oil Beef Hooked »

For those who didn't see Nicho's interview on Spotlight tonight, here is the link (forward to 16:55):

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b0 ... t-28092015

Nicho comes across very confident, talks about his 'dream job' and how he's looking forward to getting the team playing with a smile on their faces again.

I'm actually looking forward to Saturday as its the start of a new era and will be interesting to see his team and formation.

It doesn't matter whether you like or loathe Nicho's appointment. All that matters now is that he's our gaffer and he needs all of us to get behind him and the team starting Saturday. Let's welcome Nicho back to Stadio del Plainmoor and try and replicate the atmosphere we had for the Boreham Wood game :bow:

TTID
Steve

:scarf: YELLOW ARMY :scarf:
hector
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: jim mcnichol

Post by hector »

PlainmoorB0b wrote:Just at the moment the club needed to ensure its head ruled its heart it capitulated and made the most "hit and hope" appointment in its history.

All well and good posters criticising negativity on here but is our position so bad that the support has lost its right to record it's horror? You'd think it was our fault we are where we are...this is all we can do

Yes we will continue to go; yes Kevin will have our unfailing vocal support but what is there to provide hope in this appointment other than blind hope itself? in what areas did Nicholson outscore Joyce? Surely both would have been inexpensive but one has managerial credentials and a proven track record - at least there's some logic there.

By the way, Kevin the player is a concern in itself.

Beginning to get fed up of being told to shut up and be grateful ; somebody else knows best just keep handing over your admission and stop expecting better for the club!!! as if none of this concerns us - never felt more like turnstile fodder. If you were hoping to create a nostalgic feelgood factor guys you just blew it!
:goodpost:

Exactly how so many feel.
Tamargull
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Dave Caldwell

Post by Tamargull »

PlainmoorBOb is absolutely right - I have decided to no longer to be turnstile fodder.
Kit_robin
Vice Captain
Vice Captain

Post by Kit_robin »

Tamargull wrote:PlainmoorBOb is absolutely right - I have decided to no longer to be turnstile fodder.
PlainmoorBob did NOT say he would stop supporting the team, or stop attending games, just that he has the right to criticise decisions if he feels he has a valid point of view. He is completely right.

It's most likely the fact that people are staying away that you have a manager like Nicholson in the first place. If we were averaging over 2,000 fans we would already be well on the way to having enough money for a more experienced appointment. Staying away from matches will only make Nicholson failure a self-fulfilling prophecy; if we continue to support the team there is at least a chance of survival.

If you have questions that need answering, or you want to share how you're feeling, the board have provided you with that opportunity on Wednesday night. I would suggest you deal with your disappointment in a constructive way, rather than damage the club further by non attendance before a new manager has even had a game. If there is no improvement after a few games then this is a slightly different issue, but to stop turning up Just because it's Nicholson is not the right thing to do.