Next Manager- confirmed: Kevin Nicholson

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
lucy6lucy
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Chris Myers

Post by lucy6lucy »

Good luck nicho. You had the guts to apply, you know the scenario you face(so no excuses please). Above all you know the club, and I presume you will be playing as well. So the board get a 2 for 1 appointment. The only choice now who will he pick as assistant, it has to a close friend/player if indeed nicho is playing so it has to be someone that he can trust. Mansell, no chance with the wage he is prob on, sills?, good luck to you mate
Lucy
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Southampton Gull »

I'm guessing subtle ;-)

Nico has had an offer from John Milton to help with the scouting and he'll also throw a few players names into the hat for the new manager to take a look at. He's prepared to do it for nothing in a bid to help the club out so fair play to him for that.
Dave

Friend of TorquayFans.com
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

Well hats off to John Milton. :clap:
Formerly known as forevertufc
torq2u
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Ken Sandercock
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by torq2u »

Mattpuma wrote:Pep Guardiola was a rookie manager and ex-player. He did all right .
I have it on good authority that Pep was not among the 129 that expressed an interest. :lol:

Let's get real. Funds are low - we were deluding ourselves into thinking we could employ an experienced manager of Paul Cox's pedigree. The dream was good while it lasted.

Nico has been a revelation for Bath City - has been playing well and had a huge impact and influence on their current position at the top (4th) of National South. The only reason Geohagan is playing is for his missile throws - he virtually gifted Lincoln 2 goals on Saturday. So get Nico in at left back for his throws, with Smith and Gus in the centre and I reckon our defence is instantly improved (with Butler and Nico looking after the left side).

This is Nico's "dream job". My goodness, he has some guts to say that on TV. But whatever, he's our manager and deserves a chance - no, more than that, all our support, all the help he can get to make his dream come true.

He won't want to see us and Bath City pass each other at the end of the season! :-o
TUST member 200 ;-)
Trojan 67
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by Trojan 67 »

(8) NICHOLSON ... Nicholson ... :scarf:

(8) NICHOLSON ... Nicholson ... :scarf:

:engflag:
Member of the Month November 2020
Southampton Gull: "Well deserved"
taunton_gull
First Regular
First Regular

Post by taunton_gull »

I've missed the last two home games following the departure of Paul Cox and I will be one more off the gate for the rest of the season. The board have clearly given up, I cannot see any other rationale behind this decision. This completely mirrors the appointment of Hargreaves when we were fighting to retain our league status - and yet it was Steve Breed and co. who wanted him out immediately. Now we are close to dropping out of the conference and the same (terrible) decision has been made again. A good manager was appointed in Cox but without a contract, but he signed players on contracts who the new manager will somehow have to fit into his own team (I'm sure KN won't play 5-3-2). We seem to have manufactured a worse situation than if Hargreaves had been retained for the rest of his deal and then removed in the summer.

I had more faith in the likes of Steve Breed and Dave Phillips but this appointment may as well have been made by Bill Phillips and Simon Baker. Nicholson was one of the worst culprits of the gravy train culture we have seen at Plainmoor over the last few years which has been at the detriment of the club. I don't think parasite is too strong a word - especially when you consider he has come back as 'player-manager'. Yes he is local and yes he won't be earning big money, but I would have liked to have seen the other names on the list and the conditions they were prepared to work under. Let's be honest here - if Nicholson had never played for us he wouldn't have got through the door for interview - the same as Hargreaves. The final nail in the coffin has been talked about a lot this year, as far as my attendance goes - that's it, I'm done.
Kit_robin
Vice Captain
Vice Captain

Post by Kit_robin »

Southampton Gull wrote:I'm guessing subtle ;-)

Nico has had an offer from John Milton to help with the scouting and he'll also throw a few players names into the hat for the new manager to take a look at. He's prepared to do it for nothing in a bid to help the club out so fair play to him for that.

Best news I've heard today. Milton responsible for so many of the good players at this club in the buckle era.

Added in 2 minutes 43 seconds:
The Tim flowers idea is probably a reasonable guess. Presume they know each other from Kidderminster, flowers just sacked by them last week. .
S4fedr1ve
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Andy Donnelly

Post by S4fedr1ve »

If we have John Milton helping with the scouting then there is hope.

All the best to Kevin Nicholson

Mike
ROADRUNNER
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: clint boulton

Post by ROADRUNNER »

good news with john milton helping out, sills wont be back, he is teaching full time now so works well with his part time career at weymouth, as for manse , to far out of our price range, as said before dont think this is a good decision with nico but i will be more than happy to be proved wrong, will support whoever till the end. :scarf: coyy!
Richinns
Country Captain
Country Captain
Favourite player: Kevin Kalala

Post by Richinns »

Southampton Gull wrote:I'm guessing subtle ;-)

Eh? I thought Shaun North was nailed on??
TUST member 328
Your club needs you. Join the TUST now - http://www.torquaysupporters.co.uk/
Jeff
Plays for Country
Plays for Country

Post by Jeff »

Some "supporters" on here astound me. At least give the bloke a chance before proclaiming that you'll never go back to Plainmoor. The least he deserves is that.

I'm sure the Swansea fans were distraught when rookie manager Gary Monk destroyed the club into their best finishing position for god knows how long. And closer to home, a cash-strapped Exeter City didn't turn out too badly under rookies Eamon Dolan or Alex Inglethorpe. Sometimes - just sometimes - rookie managers work out. Why not now?

Fair enough, if he loses the first 5 games of his tenure then turn your back on the club. Maybe even after Saturday if it's that bad.

But to give up before he's even sat at his desk? Not a true supporter.

It makes me hope even more that it works out OK
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Southampton Gull »

Richinns wrote: Eh? I thought Shaun North was nailed on??
Not so much nailed on but he was in the hat at one stage ;-)
Dave

DevonYellow
Skipper
Skipper
Favourite player: Jean Pierre-Simb

Post by DevonYellow »

To be fair there hasn't been many who have said they won't go at all and the ones that have won't be missed.

Most have said that he wouldn't be their first choice, God knows he wouldn't have been mine. I am not going to sit here and blindly type that I feel he is the answer when I don't believe he is. It smacks of Hargreaves mk2 and look how well mk1 worked out.

However, will I be up there on Saturday again? Of course.

Will I support him 100%? Yes Sir.

Do I hope he proves me wrong? Damn bloody right!
Burnhamgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Burnhamgull »

Nico's appointment doesn't inspire me I'm afraid.

Towards the end of his and Mansell's tenure with us, they both took a lot of stick for not having it any more. I fail to see what Nico has, two years later, to contemplate a player role for us.

Saunders, Hargreaves, now Nico......all "legends" that failed. The word Legend is over used and non more so than with players like Mansell and Nico. Why do we persist offering managerial roles to players who are being set up to fail?

I hate to say that I fear this will end in tears and yet another ex-player will have their reputation tainted.

If Alex Russell is reading this, please never set foot inside Plainmoor again unless it's to watch from the stands.
TUFC never fails to let its fanbase down.

27/08/18 - Time to step back from this shambles and focus on things in life that make me happy. TUFC doesn't.
PlainmoorB0b
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: David Caldwell

Post by PlainmoorB0b »

:goodpost: :goodpost:

Just hope there's some substance and a strategy which impressed in interview and not just an eagerness to please and a familiar face to remind us of happier days past.

So....

Speiss

Berry. MacDonald. Smith. Nicholson

Hurst Carmichael Heslop Butler

Marsh.

Briscoe as impact sub ( bit like a fat bloke bombing in a swimming pool)

Looks compact.

Reasonable energy

Bloody hope nico can cut it still