Who stays next season?

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
torregull
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs

Post by torregull »

We need to recruit far more professionally- it's as simple as that with the manager(whoever he is,) consulting properly with those who have managed the prospective signings previously,throughly interviewing the player's himself,getting a proper sense of their motivation and ability to play at this level,no "inducements",such as that offered to Gowling by Nicolson,along the lines of "we know you won't be able to play in every match but your experience will be invaluable in the dressing room and I'll give you the chance to do some coaching to develop your CV",and thorough "due diligence" on the prospective players fitness,with a proper medical:any doubts then no deal.One year contracts with wages appropriate to this level but with a fair bonus scheme that incentivises and rewards success.
Bloggy
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Lee Mansell

Post by Bloggy »

What the club needs is a Chief Scout. If we'd had someone in place to scout and recruit more professionally then we wouldn't be in such a mess.
"What's that Sooty? We already have one! Oh..."
westyorkshiregull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: mark loram

Post by westyorkshiregull »

Southampton Gull wrote: 23 Mar 2018, 00:47 You don't need warriors at all. What you need are players who can play. Young can play.

What we need is a manager who can actually put a side out with a plan to beat the opposition, Owers clearly isn't that man.
Think young could play in a football team more suited ....

Very predictable
Neal
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Neal »

merse btpir wrote: 22 Mar 2018, 20:28 Come on; you need to do better than that.........

Let me give you a bit of advice ~ never, ever; underestimate the league you are dropping in to. That's what Thea Bristow, Chris Hargreaves and lots of the United faithful did when we dropped back into the Conference in 2014.

That's what the last managerial regime did when setting out the stall merely 'to avoid relegation'. Professional football doesn't work like that and I would certainly say that players poor enough to get engaged in a relegation struggle in this league are not good enough to engage in a promotion campaign from the league below.

Remaining full-time is not the cure-all many seem to believe; many's the time our full-timers have been outplayed, outwitted and out manoeuvred by part-time teams in this league.

As Paul Buckle would tell you; sign horses for courses and recruit the best of what is available with experience of National South......Elliott Romain is a prime example, but do you think that having battled his way upwards and out of it he would be willing to return? I don't.

There are teams ~ Billericay, Hereford and Dulwich to name three ~ who would pulverise this current sorry lot we have playing for us and they are currently playing at the level below National South battling hard to get into it.

A major wake up call awaits people who think this is going to be some sort of given that immediate promotion can be achieved without a concerted summer of signing the appropriate type of players.
Totally agree with this, I watched Basingstoke a few times in the conf south and I can tell you it wont be easy.

You need a good manager and enough cash to persuade better players to come and play for you. And given we are not near London, we are gonna have to pay some serious wages if you want to compete in the South. Is CO ready to bankroll that, full time wont be enough.
TUST MEMBER
Neal
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Neal »

Ah thats where we have gone wrong, "We need worse players" :)
TUST MEMBER
Arrywithnobrain
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Tony Brown

Post by Arrywithnobrain »

Neal wrote: 23 Mar 2018, 12:47 Ah thats where we have gone wrong, "We need worse players" :)
There aren't many worse players still available: Owers has proved that.
arcadia
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Jake Andrews

Post by arcadia »

Neal wrote: 23 Mar 2018, 12:44 Totally agree with this, I watched Basingstoke a few times in the conf south and I can tell you it wont be easy.

You need a good manager and enough cash to persuade better players to come and play for you. And given we are not near London, we are gonna have to pay some serious wages if you want to compete in the South. Is CO ready to bankroll that, full time wont be enough.
Merse you are quite right and no professional would take this for granted but inexperienced coaches would, hence where we are today.
:goodpost:
Rjc70
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Tom Lapslie

Post by Rjc70 »

Jerry wrote: 23 Mar 2018, 09:25This is what we have lacked, someone to free up Young to do what he is good at.
For all the shortsighted posts rubbishing Young, that is the long and the short of it.

He was the sole central midfielder in my ‘wanted’ list. Of course we’d need to sign others and of course we’d need quality and graft beside him. There has been short supply of the latter recently. Revising downward to Dorel, McGinty, Young, Romain and Williams, that is a spine that needs flesh on its bones. Not least in the midfield engine room. But it would represent a damn good start to 2018/19 recruitment for NLS.

Those saying ‘I’d keep nobody they are all losers’ it so easy to understand the pain. But I can’t really see any argument eg: for not keeping Dorel.
westyorkshiregull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Speaking off Harrogate I just do happened to pass it today while in my truck. Nice little ground
Attachments
20180323_114321.jpg
brucie
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by brucie »

Noone is suggesting that we will walk the league but surely we should be up around the top.

I actually know nothing about the NLS but looking at the teams I guess it is nowhere as strong as the northern half. I've watched a few highlights of Truro's matches and I will believe the evidence of my own eyes in that they look bloody awful and if they are in the play off positions there cannot be much quality there.

I'm not trying to rubbish Truro at all but they don't appear to have any defence whatsoever - did someone suggest getting Gerring back? - if so watch a few of their match highlights - you would soon change your mind.

As for Young/Mcginty or whoever - well I wouldn't really be too bothered if they went really.
Yorkieandy
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Kev Nic

Post by Yorkieandy »

Hope that wagon is stationary Westie? :na: :lol:

I was there for that FA Cup tie that went to pens too. An enjoyable evening's entertainment it was too.

I've been to mostly evo stik grounds and yes, there are some real griefholes. If you get out of Goole Town alive then you've done well. There are some more genteel places though like Matlock which is a beautiful spot to spend an afternoon watching footy.

The way i see it is this:

Torquay will be the number one scalp for most clubs next season which will make the already near impossible task of mounting a promotion tilt in the NLS impossible.

What will also make it impossible is that none of the better players already mentioned in the thread like Romain etc will be at the club next season.

What will make it not only impossible but worse than that, a relegation battle is that Owers and Kuhl will be staying.

I can see the club staying full time, signing absolute shite players on little more than peanuts, these players being hamstrung further by the calamitous cluelessness of Owers and Kuhl, the club still charging league 2 prices on the basis that 'we are full time' despite most part time clubs having better players than Owers will attract, playing better football and getting better results.

CO will continue to ignore everybody as per, only deciding to release some tepid PR guff when it soon becomes clear that the club are fighting the drop, Owers and Kuhl will just go about their business along with Harrop and before you know it you are paying in the high teens every week to watch a NLS relegation scrap that begins from game 1.

Merse has it right. Anyone who thinks a promotion tilt is on the cards is insane and has learned absolutely nothing from the last 5 years.

Of course i could be wrong but if you are prepared for the worst and then i'm sure it will be a half decent season. :whistle:

Anything else and it's happy days!! :scarf:
westyorkshiregull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Of course it was stationary ....in bleeding traffic as usual on weatherby road on way to join the a1 motorway to Leeds as usual grrrrr

Been to goole town it's at the end of a terraced street not far town centre I remember.

Harrogate town have a 3g or 4g pitch or whatever you call it these days

Not further down the pyramid is ossett albion another team I occasionly see.

There is something quite wonderful about watching football further down the pyramid

It's not all bad folks , some good players actually make no mistake.
Yorkieandy
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Kev Nic

Post by Yorkieandy »

There are still problems at even the smallest of non league clubs with knuckleheads though and fans posturing and kicking off. Not sure if it's the same in the NLS and southern counties atc but up here i know of and have seen many unsavoury incidents and behaviour from young scrotes giving it large.
westyorkshiregull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Ossett albion was around I think 7 quid to get it ...maybe more I can't remember ....i was only passing first-time with my dog in the back of the car after taking her for a country walk ....let me in with dog which was cool
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Southampton Gull »

Jerry wrote: 23 Mar 2018, 09:25 Blimey there's a revelation, a team with better players would do better than a team with worse players! ;-)

That's what you took from my post is it? Each to their own..............
Dave

Friend of TorquayFans.com