Is Hargreaves fit for purpose?

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
Dave_Pougher
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Mansell

Post by Dave_Pougher »

Can't help think that when someone's motivation in this commercially driven beautiful game of ours is their overwhelming desire to say "THATS FOR YOU" with the with the same desire as he did first time, then he's got to be good for my club.
oldpedant
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by oldpedant »

Gullscorer wrote: Why should he have to? Everybody makes mistakes sometime or other.
Because he was, and he did.

Instead he simply blamed the players making out that it was nothing to do with him.
yellowforever
Skipper
Skipper
Favourite player: Our next signing

Post by yellowforever »

"We are now so far up sh*t creek our boat is actually poking out the end of someones toilet bowl."
Brucie. 27/02/14
Gullscorer
Legend
Legend

Post by Gullscorer »

oldpedant wrote: Because he was, and he did.
Instead he simply blamed the players making out that it was nothing to do with him.
I repeat here the rest of my previous post which you omitted to quote:
The fans on the terraces don't know half of what goes on behind the scenes and what a manager may have to cope with, and even though he has to deal with a certain amount of publicity he also has to behave with a certain amount of discretion. There's a reason he's the manager of a team currently challenging for promotion and why the rest of us are supporters. That's his job. And this is our job: to support, and not to criticise at every opportunity.
AustrianAndyGull
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Kev Nicholson

Post by AustrianAndyGull »

Jesus.

You're 6 points off top spot with a game in hand and have had a few suspensions and bad results against lowly opponents (which everyone gets during the course of a season). You should all be over the **** moon at how it's going after witnessing the past 2 seasons. Those that aren't need their bloody heads testing.
Strangely enough it was Pope Gregory the 9th inviting me for drinks aboard his steam yacht, the saucy sue currently wintering in montego bay with the England cricket team and the Balanese Goddess of plenty.
MellowYellow
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Tony Scott

Post by MellowYellow »

You don't have to love CH. He's a football manager not the Messiah! As long as his coaching style focuses on the long term development of the team and creates depth to the squad to become a long term success, that will do me. What about getting it wrong, well losses can strengthen TU's game plan. Sir Alex Ferguson, (not one to admit his mistakes) used failure to his advantage and vowed never to make the same mistake twice. I for one am happy to talk about the ability or our manager as we linger in the the playoff spots rather than converse with supporters of Hereford United and Salisbury City on where did our club go wrong.
Kit_robin
Vice Captain
Vice Captain

Post by Kit_robin »

While I think the Richards decision was an error, and a few others have been made, CH has made far more good decisions this season than bad. I think the implication in the OP is grossly unfair and unwarranted, and perhaps worst of all; unhelpful.
goodluckgull
First Regular
First Regular

Post by goodluckgull »

I agree with all 3 of the last postings. There is always going to be a lot of stuff, like fitness levels, injuries , illness, personal things etc. that the fans will no nothing about and so I'll respect Greavsie,s decisions, because he is the best informed and no Manager can win every game.
Dave_Pougher
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Mansell

Post by Dave_Pougher »

Kit_robin wrote:While I think the Richards decision was an error, and a few others have been made, CH has made far more good decisions this season than bad. I think the implication in the OP is grossly unfair and unwarranted, and perhaps worst of all; unhelpful.

Agreed, can't wait to see what he sees in Wakefield come to fruition though.
yellowmonkey
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Watches from: Pop side

Post by yellowmonkey »

He gets my vote
chardie
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: Alan Little

Post by chardie »

AustrianAndyGull wrote:Jesus.

You're 6 points off top spot with a game in hand and have had a few suspensions and bad results against lowly opponents (which everyone gets during the course of a season). You should all be over the f**king moon at how it's going after witnessing the past 2 seasons. Those that aren't need their bloody heads testing.
:goodpost:
TUST No 278
yellowforever
Skipper
Skipper
Favourite player: Our next signing

Post by yellowforever »

Dave_Pougher wrote:
Agreed, can't wait to see what he sees in Wakefield come to fruition though.
He's had periods of looking quite good in the games I've seen, and others where he's anonymous.

He needs to be stronger and more dominating though, he's got the technical ability, he just needs to enforce himself on games more, which will come with experience. Don't forget, the boy's only played a few professional football matches.
"We are now so far up sh*t creek our boat is actually poking out the end of someones toilet bowl."
Brucie. 27/02/14
brucie
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by brucie »

Hargreaves persisted with Rice again today - theres another error. With some difficult away games, four defeats in five I would suggest the pressure is ramping up on the manager.
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

Trouble is Brucie, I saw some of Seabright in pre-season, he looked like a Rice mini-me, to be fair to Hargreaves here, he has a pants budget and a big decision to use some of it on a loan keeper when he has 2 that are fit, but maybe not for purpose. Again that's down to the budget rather than the manager, who's hands are somewhat tied by the fact some of our big wage earners are still at the club.
Formerly known as forevertufc
Bomber
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Kevin Hill

Post by Bomber »

Having seen Seabright play just over a year ago for Dagenham & Redbridge, from what I saw of him I thought he looked capable of keeping Rice on his toes at the very least.

Back to the original post, this is a young team and a young manager who are, in some ways, learning together- so they'll be some mistakes along the way.

Personally, I want Chris Hargreaves to succeed as manager more than any other Torquay United manager, as I don't want what happened to Wes Saunders to happen to him, whereby he never sets foot in Plainmoor over a decade and his playing achievements get forgotten.