All we are saying, is give us the awayend!

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
Awayday
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero
Favourite player: Chris McPhee

Post by Awayday »

jocktheknife wrote:
Only TUFC could build the best stand for noise and give it to away supporters..... :whistle:
This sums it up for me, the club want an atmosphere and give us cr@p accoustics to do it in.
Awayday
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero

Post by Awayday »

We need a chant for Wycombe and Chesterfield along the lines of "We want the away end".

Only to be sung at points in the game where the ball is out of play and does not get in the way of getting behind the team.
I won't be at Wycombe (waits for phone call from SG) but I will be there at Chesterfield.

Also on another note........... Louis to play the drum instead of Barlow (when I am not there any way). Nothing anti-Barlow, but rather than give the drum to someone who is enthusiastic but has cr@p timing, give it to someone who goes most weeks and is pretty good.

I do have a small drum stand that will mean I can place a couple of drums on it and a cymbal............ do you think the club will let me take it in?
ferrarilover
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: You'll find out ;-)

Post by ferrarilover »

I don't see why not P, depends how big it is I guess, take up too much room (usually full of paying customers) and you'll be refused on economic grounds.

Matt.
J5 said, "ferrarilover is 100% correct"
Fletch
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Lorz

Post by Fletch »

jocktheknife wrote:With the superb acoustics the away end has - a shared end would be very loud and really add to the atmosphere.

Would be happy to see it happen.....just cant' see it, for the reasons already stated.

Only TUFC could build the best stand for noise and give it to away supporters..... :whistle:
Do enlighten us as to how the the construction of the away terrace is different to that of the popside terrace then?
Awayday
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero

Post by Awayday »

Fletch wrote: Do enlighten us as to how the the construction of the away terrace is different to that of the popside terrace then?
Being I have dealt with accoustics in recording studios and I was there in the away end for the Histon game there are a number of differences.

-> The material of the roof it self, the popside roof absorbs the noise rather than rebounds it, where as the away end bounces it around
-> The space difference between the fans and the roof is greater in the away end which allows the sound to travel further before it is absorbed by the supporters
-> The angle of the roof, both are angled to the pitch, but the pitch on the roof on the popside seems to be a slightly less of an angle so most of the noise goes straight out into the open
-> Age of the roof, as material ages it gathers rust etc etc which absorbs the sounds rather than rebounds it. THe popside roof is probably covered in a layer of dirt and moss as well which is worse still
-> Lastly metal is not very good when it comes to sound. The popside roof is supported by tonnes of the metal struts, where the awayend has less metal due to improved methods of construction
diamondgirl
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero
Favourite player: Aaron Downes

Post by diamondgirl »

Wow Paul. I'm impressed. :)
"Thing's turn out best when you make the best of the way thing's turn out."
Fletch
Vice Captain
Vice Captain

Post by Fletch »

Awayday wrote: Being I have dealt with accoustics in recording studios and I was there in the away end for the Histon game there are a number of differences.

-> The material of the roof it self, the popside roof absorbs the noise rather than rebounds it, where as the away end bounces it around
-> The space difference between the fans and the roof is greater in the away end which allows the sound to travel further before it is absorbed by the supporters
-> The angle of the roof, both are angled to the pitch, but the pitch on the roof on the popside seems to be a slightly less of an angle so most of the noise goes straight out into the open
-> Age of the roof, as material ages it gathers rust etc etc which absorbs the sounds rather than rebounds it. THe popside roof is probably covered in a layer of dirt and moss as well which is worse still
-> Lastly metal is not very good when it comes to sound. The popside roof is supported by tonnes of the metal struts, where the awayend has less metal due to improved methods of construction
Is that so?

1- Both are pre-formed "plastisol coated" metal roof panels.
2- Roof is the same height on both and was designed as such, so the corner between the two could be "filled in" as (and if) required. The steps are the same pitch. Feel free to count how many there are on Friday.
3- Both are built at a 6 degree pitch.
4- Maybe, give us a report after Fridays match on how much they are rusting (although plastisol is designed not to).
5- The pop side is significantly longer and also has the camera gantry on it. Of course it has more supporting struts, it has more weight to support.

What you seem to be overlooking is the simple fact that in the away end there will probably be the same number of "singers" as would be on the pop side, but in a smaller area. Of course its going to sound louder to the people in the away end. The sound doesnt have to travel as far laterally for everyone to hear it and sing in time (and the same chant).

Feel free to check the construction details on the planning applications :rules:
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Southampton Gull »

I don't know the dimensions etc etc but I do know the sound coming from the away end IS louder than that on the Pop, whatever the reasons it's a FACT you can't get away from.
Dave

Friend of TorquayFans.com
Fletch
Vice Captain
Vice Captain

Post by Fletch »

Southampton Gull wrote:I don't know the dimensions etc etc but I do know the sound coming from the away end IS louder than that on the Pop, whatever the reasons it's a FACT you can't get away from.
Hence I said
What you seem to be overlooking is the simple fact that in the away end there will probably be the same number of "singers" as would be on the pop side, but in a smaller area. Of course its going to sound louder to the people in the away end. The sound doesnt have to travel as far laterally for everyone to hear it and sing in time (and the same chant).
The construction of the stands has a negligible effect, apart from the shorter length of the away end.

Oh, and if its a FACT Dave, have you some sound meter readings to prove it? If not, then its just an opinion is it not? :whistle:
Trojan 67
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by Trojan 67 »

Length v girth, oops :Oops: I mean width.

As it is, it's length AND width.

The gap in the Popside doesn't help continuity when the middle starts the "roar". When the whole of the Popside is in unison it out chants the away end every time. I know, I've been in the enclosure in the past and heard it.
Member of the Month November 2020
Southampton Gull: "Well deserved"
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Fletch wrote: The construction of the stands has a negligible effect, apart from the shorter length of the away end.

Oh, and if its a FACT Dave, have you some sound meter readings to prove it? If not, then its just an opinion is it not? :whistle:

Damned pedants. If it's my opinion it is FACT. Anyone denying said FACT is just being argumentative and will receive a cider-fuelled slap on friday :)
Dave

Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Trojan 67 wrote:Length v girth, oops :Oops: I mean width.

As it is, it's length AND width.

The gap in the Popside doesn't help continuity when the middle starts the "roar". When the whole of the Popside is in unison it out chants the away end every time. I know, I've been in the enclosure in the past and heard it.

Your hearing is about as much use as your bladder, pipe down :lol:
Dave

Trojan 67
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by Trojan 67 »

Eh ? What's 'at ? :|

I'll be in B&L to rip the bling right off your fanny shirt. :@ :rofl:

Then again, avoid is better than collision and being in the enclosure to make a scientific observation as to who out sings who, is probably the wiser course of action. :-D

Nah, :no: meeting SG in B&L is always a pleasure :clap: , even if it sometimes means ducking a dink (that is DINK, and has nothing in common with missing out on a DRINK). ;-)
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Well i do believe it's my round so don't be late.

If I wasn't bringing Ian I'd be tempted to stay down there for the weekend and go right on it.
Dave

Trojan 67
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by Trojan 67 »

Southampton Gull wrote:Well i do believe it's my round so don't be late.

If I wasn't bringing Ian I'd be tempted to stay down there for the weekend and go right on it.
:clap: :clap: :clap: and I'll be in there about 1.00pm.