Torquay United V Wrexham 29/10/19

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
Minneapolisgull
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Jo Kuffour

Post by Minneapolisgull »

Grockle
Still to early?
lucy6lucy
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Chris Myers

Post by lucy6lucy »

This fantastic win makes the league table a nice watch. It’s a marathon not a sprint, just look at Woking. A massive win tonight.
Lucy
grockle
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Willie Brown

Post by grockle »

Minneapolisgull wrote: 29 Oct 2019, 23:15 Grockle
Still to early?
Yes. There are other teams in this division with as much right as us to claim" league football is where we belong". One of them gave us a lesson a couple of weeks ago, and last night beat the Surrey part-timers, who we do not seem able to beat! :goal:
Modgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Alex Russell
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by Modgull »

A great win but very poor performance. How Wrexham didn't score several I don't know - I guess they're in the bottom four for that reason alone. We gifted them so many opportunities, especially in the first half, but McDonald only had to make one serious save - albeit a very good one - in the second.

The conditions certainly told - we only had two attempts in the first half but eight in the second.

Credit to Matt Buse who continues to impress in the midfield and great to see Saikou Janneh back in a yellow shirt - in the short time he was on he managed to impress but that was partly because so many of his team mates had poor games.
Phil

Remember its a marathon not a sprint
Lloyder5
Skipper
Skipper

Post by Lloyder5 »

I thought it was a good performance in very difficult conditions. Cameron deserved MOTM in my opinion. Attacked the ball really well, especially in the second half when it was swirling around. He gave a solid platform, which was important as Cundy was a bit shakey. McDonald was also good, making one great save, a cross shot that looked destined to go inside the far post from where I was standing behind the striker. Davis and Wynter great tackling and cover. The central midfielders battled throughout. Andrews showed some great touch and vision with another assist. Great to see Janneh back. He certainly brings pace, touch and a bit more intensity.
Overall we battled through a difficult first half and showed some quality in the second, although could/should have scored more.
TUST number 080
SBP
Vice Captain
Vice Captain

Post by SBP »

Like others have commented a really poor first half, we really could have been 2 down at half time. We couldn't string 2-3 passes together. Credit to Wrexham they pressed well and were by far the more dangerous. To be honest i really thought it was going to be one of them off performances and i would have taken a point at HT.
Defensively in the first half we were not great, moments of indecision, lack of concentration and errors. During the HT break no TUFC subs came out to warm up until a few minutes before the Wrexham players returned so whatever was said needed to take effect.
The first 5-10 min wasnt great until from out of nowhere pops up Liam Davis with a fantastic goal. From then on it was far improved many chances and we really should have made it 2 or 3.
I have to mention the pass from Ben Wynter to put Jamie Reid in was absolutely class. JR will be disappointed with blasting that chance over the bar. The introduction of Janneh and Opi just gives us so much energy and pace. You can see Jamie Reid looks even more effective with Janneh.
We still had our wobbles however on the 2nd half performance i think we deserved the victory.
I thought our full backs were excellent. How Cameron was named MOM is ridiculous, he was better in the 2nd half but his 1st half performance was poor. Cundy wasnt much better either in the 1st half either. Busey did well, he has some engine that lad. Whitfield did well in the 2nd half.

A big shout out to the Ground staff who have once again delivered a good playing surface considering the weather.

Yellow army excellent tonight, good atmosphere considering the weather.

Is it just me or are the flood lights poor??
brucie
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by brucie »

I'm not sure why anyone thinks Wrexham should have won.

We have hit the woodwork twice and their keeper made a world class save in the second half. We were by far the better side in the second half and played some great stuff given the adverse conditions.
DWB
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Alex Russell

Post by DWB »

I have to mention the pass from Ben Wynter to put Jamie Reid in was absolutely class. JR will be disappointed with blasting that chance over the bar.

Totally agree thought it was a fantastic pass, if Kevin de Bruyne had done it the pundits on match of the day would be drooling over it. He has done that sort of pass before so he is more than capable when going forward.

Thought Wrexham were a good solid side so a good 3 points. Saikou hit the post with a header and on another day JR could of had a couple and of course Jake Andrews hitting the bar, how many times has he hit the woodwork this season already. Needs to improve his shooting! :~D
MellowYellow
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Tony Scott

Post by MellowYellow »

May be appropriate to spare a thought for Luke Young, when all his dreams were smashed on Tuesday, When he left for Wrexham he said "“ No disrespect to the Conference South, but I don’t think I want to be playing there ...I think I owe it to myself to take a chance and see if I can maybe get back into the Football League or a top-end ‘Conference’ team". What is the saying :Grass is always greener?"
Howdidigethere
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: David Graham

Post by Howdidigethere »

Not the best game I’ve seen at Plainmoor and think we made very hard work of beating a very average Wrexham side. Couldn’t get near them from set pieces and they should have scored when Cundy or Cameron (can’t remember which) presented them with a one on one following some shocking control on the edge of the box. Much better second half and a very neat finish to reward Liam Davis’ attacking burst into the box. The save from McDonald was excellent but curious how they nearly score after a flick on from a goalkeepers punt upfield, into the wind,when our keeper can’t get the ball over the halfway line! Despite all this went home happy and confident we can get a result up at Halifax on Saturday.
portugull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: lee mansell
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by portugull »

First of all a big thumbs up to the 2,313 who turned up on a horrible night. The largest gate in the National League last night.
On a very wet pitch, but a credit to Julian Goldthorpe, with a strong easterly wind conditions mitigated against a good match.
We were indeed fortunate to g in at Half Time at 0-0. Following a crucial save by Shaun MacDonald on 54 mins Liam Davis scored the only goal of the game on 56 mins from an assist by Jake Andrews.
Thereafter we dominated and Saikou Janneh made an energetic appearance as a 63 minute substitute.
My MOTM was Ben Wynter who had a superb game.
If we can win at Halifax we would be just one point behind them come Saturday night.
I am sure Saikou will start at The Shay.
COYY