Torquay VS Eastleigh 7:45 24.9

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
Minneapolisgull
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Jo Kuffour

Post by Minneapolisgull »

Looks like we have lost that winning feeling.... What that no wins in 4? Two home games 1 point, very poor. We need to keep looking over our shoulder? Not worry about playoffs but makesure we do not get dragged in to relegation which is my biggest concern. Home form is shocking opposition must relish coming to Plainmoor.
Can anyone see us getting anything at Stockport??? No then home against Flyde
Need to get back to winning ways soon.
TUST_Member_Rob

Post by TUST_Member_Rob »

When you see a midfield combo of Vincent and Buse line up against Jack Payne (250+ games) and Danny Hollands (450+ games) you have to be concerned. Despite starting brightly they faded and experience shone through.

Convolans shot stopping wasnt bad but his distribution tonight was terrible and as mentioned some times he comes others hes glued to his line. Im sorry but to get lobbed from 30 odd yards out is poor.

We suffered from a lot of below par performances tonight, Wynter struggled and Reid was totally ineffective.

Subs didnt work, Kalala came on and wasnt interested, and i dont think Duku touched the ball! I would have liked to see Lewis come on for Buse to add some freshness to the middle of the park

1 goal and 1 assist M.O.M was clearly Whitfield produced the only quality all night for us, dont know how Vincent got it!

It was clear as day they'd win that game, when we were in the driving seat we didnt score another to pull away and left it way to open for them to keep coming back into the game
Minneapolisgull
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Jo Kuffour

Post by Minneapolisgull »

its seems to be the same old story! should have won! should have scored more! should have done this! Should have done that! Man if only there was a league table for should of's! We would be playing champions league!!!!!!
Lloyder5
Skipper
Skipper

Post by Lloyder5 »

The lobbed goal was a very good strike and was one the cards once Cundy's second header went up in the air. Distribution I thought was ok, just a couple of mistakes when obviously trying to kick underneath the wind. Agree the decision making of when to come and when to stay was erratic.
TUST number 080
MBoro2Torquay2k18
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Kalala

Post by MBoro2Torquay2k18 »

How did we manage to lose that home game tonight??
In front twice yet still failed to win!
against a side who were hovering around the bottom four that did seem to be struggling

Tbh overall
Eastleigh played the ball around quicker with far better ball/player movement
and used the full width of the pitch more successfully

Torquay did have lots of good early chances but didn't capitalize on them
our midfield at times was non existent AWOL
Eastleigh were repeatedly waltzing through us at will unchallenged
I won't dare mention how awful the central defenders were

I've no idea on the unusual substitutions later on
Taking off Torquay's most influential player off Ben Whitfield

Torquay do seem to lack a few quality players

PS Sign up Sam Smart Eastleigh's speedy number 11
i lost count of the numerous quality crosses that he put in
(Even tho he looks about 16)
He was destroying our defenders

Come on uuuu YELLOWS!!!!!
culmstockgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: stubbs
Watches from: Family Stand

Post by culmstockgull »

Let's look at the positives from tonight, ok struggling there, for those who keep harping back to conference south and our one glory season in the last ten and constantly tell us how good certain players were, the one thing that has become blindingly obvious, they are not so good in this league. I sat in Bristows tonight , you get a completely different perspective on the game from up high.
Eastleigh played the conditions far better than we did, we scored two good goals, should have had five first half if it was not a mixture of indifferent finishing and great goalkeeping. Reid should watch the game back and cringe at his lack of work rate and endeavour, but tonight that was not his worst failing, on two free kicks he was wheeling round the back of their defence and even if the ball had landed at his feet, he would not have known about it because he had his back to the play. we cannot afford to play with certain players who imagine they are only there for the glory moments. Midfield well we all know the problems with injuries but Vincent is too light weight in physique to play centre mid, Whitfield is a good player but tries to chase the game to much. back four, unusually both fullbacks were poor and Davis was done for speed on too many occasions, central defenders, well you could have them up under the trades description act for allegedly being something they are so obviously not.
I see someone reckons that Covolan makes the defence nervous ,If I was the keeper I would be a nervous wreck with that lot in front of me.
I will not listen to Johnsons after match report, he will say the same words as last Saturday and the Saturday before just in a different order, and mean very little.
Howdidigethere
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: David Graham

Post by Howdidigethere »

i just don’t understand the tactic of inaccurate long balls balls to a striker who can’t hold the ball up. Jamie Reid scores some great goals but he is far too easy to mark when playing as a target man.
portugull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: lee mansell
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by portugull »

We did not deserve to lose this game. I really feel for our young side.
I lost count of the number of saves the Eastleigh keeper made in the first half alone.
We so miss Hall,Little and Evans.
Whitfield scored a brilliant goal and Vincent worked incredibly hard in midfield.
With just 6 points from the last 18 we are still only 3 points off 7th place.
Jamie Reid spent the whole game, or most of it, with his back to goal.We are not playing to his strengths.
Eastleigh proved that no team in this League is a pushover and in the end they nicked it but honestly we did not deserve to lose tonight. Gutted.
Whydoibother
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Alex Russell

Post by Whydoibother »

Every single team in the national league has experienced players throughout the squad. Unfortunately we only have Davis, Hall and Dickson. Two of those are crocked. He has given them ten games and I'm sure Cundy and Lewis were expected to be regular now with Niate on the bench but due to injuries the likes of Cameron are now still playing.
Modgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Alex Russell
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by Modgull »

That was a very entertaining match played in difficult conditions.

We played with the wind in the first half, had 7 attempts, all on target and one goal. Their keeper made four very good saves. Despite that, Eastleigh had their moments too and could easily have gone in level. At HT you would have fancied Eastleigh because of the wind in their favour. So it transpired with a deflected equaliser shortly after the restart.

Surprisingly, United responded well and Andrews got one and missed a sitter. Then an offside Whitfield goes on to poach a disallowed goal instead of leaving it to the on-side Keating. So instead of 4-1 it was only 2-1 and everyone knew it would not be enough. Not with our defence. Cue Cundy messes a clearance, the ball bounces behind him and the Eastleigh striker hits a first time volley from 23 yards into the top corner - a worldie. Then Buse fluffs a clearance in his own area allowing Eastleigh to get behind the defence for a tap-in at the death.

Those who blame Covolan are not correct. The defence in front of him has not been fit for purpose for some time now. I personally feel Hall is missed in the central holding role protecting the two central defenders.

I agree with Brucie that injuries have not helped our cause but we do need an experienced central defender to help strengthen the defence and a target man to help Reid up front.

Trouble is - without reinforcements I struggle to see where the next win will come from.
Phil

Remember its a marathon not a sprint
Lloyder5
Skipper
Skipper

Post by Lloyder5 »

It was a game we should have won. Reidy seemed to put in plenty of effort to me. Smart wasn't the problem. He is quick and got a couple of crosses in but I thought Davis got to grips with him. Payne was the key player. Always dropping into pockets of space, making himself available, picking up clearances and generally organising. Stop him and you stop Eastleigh. I think Hall would have been wise to Payne's clever but not quick movement. Our two young centre mids were too busy pressing to notice.
TUST number 080
SBP
Vice Captain
Vice Captain

Post by SBP »

I left the ground last night probably the most frustrated and annoyed in sometime. How on earth did we manage to lose that game, of course we want to blame somebody for that performance and result.
Its easy to single out players however the management need to look at their decisions over the last two home games.
The warning was there last night within the first few minutes down our left, their No 11 had the beating of Liam Davis and produced 3-4 crosses that caused us all sorts of problems just in the 1st half.
Jake Andrews has to do better defensively, Buse was being dragged out wide to try and assist Davis. That is not acceptable. I do feel for Buse tbh, he's been asked to do a job and by and large he has done his best. He's stepped up in divisions and you cant criticize his workrate. On Saturday we had Kalvin who was totally anonymous so it cant be easy defensively when faced with this.
We didnt look solid at the back all evening, both full backs didnt have great games and Cameron is just not performing at the level you expect from him. I actually thought Cundy did ok and looked very solid.
I was frustrated with our keeper last night, he makes several good saves but causes us problems with his distribution and you could see an accident waiting to happen, we totally gave it away.
GJ makes in my opinion the wrong substitution on 80 min (i think) and takes Whitfield off for Kalvin, Whitfield didnt appear injured and as he walks off onto the pop side area they bloody score.
Kalvin gets one opportunity and puts in a fantastic cross and nobody manages to get on the end of it.
In my mind we totally gave that game away. Of course our injuries are affecting things however we had that game in the bag last night.
Hammdog2601
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Luke Young

Post by Hammdog2601 »

Where’s Niate disappeared too? He had concussion, was back for Saturday. Then not their yesterday and was the only player not at the ground yesterday?
SBP
Vice Captain
Vice Captain

Post by SBP »

Niate is injured apparently
lucy6lucy
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Chris Myers

Post by lucy6lucy »

brucie wrote: 24 Sep 2019, 21:53 Its quite ridiculous to say that the players are shit. We still have umpteen players out injured, including our three first choice midfielders.

If you don't think that has any bearing on results you must be thick.
I must be thick then, but who am I to say that attends matches. But if you think the current squad is capable at this level then maybe you need to assess your own mentality.
Lucy